How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
lizelong
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:07 pm

How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Post by lizelong » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:41 am

Hi, everyone, I just got a PhD offer this week. :D Though we have an April 15 deadline, I have a strong preference to go to this school so I'd like to accept it in a nearer day (before March). One professor wrote me kindly that he was happy to see my admission and hoped I would accept the offer (but no push on me).

Meanwhile, I am still wanting to see other offers' cases, but will be less likely to go. Is it a good idea to let the PhD school that offered me wait for one week or two? Should I keep silent at the moment or write a polite answer to them at first?
Last edited by lizelong on Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

RandomMathStudent
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:12 am

Re: How long should I wait to reply an PhD offer?

Post by RandomMathStudent » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:54 am

Yeah same here! I have the same doubt and wanted to talk to someone regarding it. Let's see if someone come forward to answer our query.

pkzrd
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Post by pkzrd » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am

I sent emails (assuming the acceptance email came from the department not a "portal update") thanking for the notification of the offer and assure them that I will let them know as soon as I make a decision.

Some schools where I withdrew or declined did ask for the school I'm planning to attend, I just tell them my top choice among the accepted pile.

soo
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Post by soo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:43 am

If it is your top choice and you like the offer then just accept and once you get confirmation you can decline or withdraw others and you are done with no worries. The only reason for waiting is if you have seen here they make fellowship offers later to entice people or you might get a better offer from another school that is similar or higher on your list. I am also interested to know if it is better to stay silent or make polite reply.

temporaryacct
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:23 am

Re: How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Post by temporaryacct » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm

soo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:43 am
If it is your top choice and you like the offer then just accept and once you get confirmation you can decline or withdraw others and you are done with no worries. The only reason for waiting is if you have seen here they make fellowship offers later to entice people or you might get a better offer from another school that is similar or higher on your list. I am also interested to know if it is better to stay silent or make polite reply.
I disagree with this completely. Accepting a school's offer and then withdrawing it is very frowned upon and can throw off their whole process. You should only accept if you're very sure. Otherwise it's better to wait until you are sure. Withdrawing acceptance of offers should only be done in exceptional circumstances like if you get off a wait list after April 15.

Hallauer
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Re: How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Post by Hallauer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 pm

temporaryacct wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm
soo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:43 am
If it is your top choice and you like the offer then just accept and once you get confirmation you can decline or withdraw others and you are done with no worries. The only reason for waiting is if you have seen here they make fellowship offers later to entice people or you might get a better offer from another school that is similar or higher on your list. I am also interested to know if it is better to stay silent or make polite reply.
I disagree with this completely. Accepting a school's offer and then withdrawing it is very frowned upon and can throw off their whole process. You should only accept if you're very sure. Otherwise it's better to wait until you are sure. Withdrawing acceptance of offers should only be done in exceptional circumstances like if you get off a wait list after April 15.
temporaryacct, you are correct and your advice is good. However, you have misunderstood soo's comment, and I think you two should actually agree. soo was saying that if you are sure of your choice, you can go ahead and accept your top choice and, after your top choice confirms that they have gotten your acceptance, decline all the OTHER SCHOOLS' acceptances and withdraw from where you haven't heard. soo was not suggesting to accept and then withdraw at one school. They were just saying that there is no need to wait until April if you are already sure.
Last edited by Hallauer on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

temporaryacct
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:23 am

Re: How long should I wait to reply a PhD offer?

Post by temporaryacct » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:18 pm

Hallauer wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 pm
temporaryacct wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm
soo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:43 am
If it is your top choice and you like the offer then just accept and once you get confirmation you can decline or withdraw others and you are done with no worries. The only reason for waiting is if you have seen here they make fellowship offers later to entice people or you might get a better offer from another school that is similar or higher on your list. I am also interested to know if it is better to stay silent or make polite reply.
I disagree with this completely. Accepting a school's offer and then withdrawing it is very frowned upon and can throw off their whole process. You should only accept if you're very sure. Otherwise it's better to wait until you are sure. Withdrawing acceptance of offers should only be done in exceptional circumstances like if you get off a wait list after April 15.
temporaryacct, you are correct and your advice is good. However, you have misunderstood soo's comment, and I think you two should actually agree. soo was saying that if you are sure of your choice, you can go ahead and accept your top choice and, after your top choice confirms that they have gotten your acceptance, decline all the OTHER SCHOOLS' acceptances and withdraw from where you haven't heard. soo was not suggesting to accept and then withdraw at one school. They were just saying that there is no need to wait until April if you are already sure.
Yep, I misread! Totally agree now.



Post Reply