Columbia rejections?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:27 am

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet?
There is a rejection at mathgrad cafe from February 20, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Is it possible that the mathgrad cafe post is fake? Or perhaps the person posting reached out by themselves and was told that they did not get in?

RunningOutOfHope
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by RunningOutOfHope » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 am

I was wondering the same, my speculation is they either considered themselves rejected (since there is a rumor floating around that they will only accept 4-5 students) or that they inquired themselves. Maybe one of us should poke at them?

uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 am

If you do ask, please let me know!
If there is no response for a week or more, I might be tempted to send them an email.

uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 pm

I did end up emailing via the graduate admissions email a day or two ago, but no response yet.

RunningOutOfHope
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by RunningOutOfHope » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:35 am

uptohomotopy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 pm
I did end up emailing via the graduate admissions email a day or two ago, but no response yet.
Please keep up updated if you hear anything!

idmasterz
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by idmasterz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am

So, I had spoken informally with the head of graduate admissions, and basically they have a shortlist now and will decide by the end of the week. I would say that if you haven't heard anything yet (I got an email) then either you might be on a waitlist or rejected, unfortunately. I might be wrong, but I thought I would at least update on this.

naruto
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:13 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by naruto » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:06 am

idmasterz wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am
So, I had spoken informally with the head of graduate admissions, and basically they have a shortlist now and will decide by the end of the week. I would say that if you haven't heard anything yet (I got an email) then either you might be on a waitlist or rejected, unfortunately. I might be wrong, but I thought I would at least update on this.
May I ask what they say in the email you got?

RunningOutOfHope
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by RunningOutOfHope » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 am

idmasterz wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am
So, I had spoken informally with the head of graduate admissions, and basically they have a shortlist now and will decide by the end of the week. I would say that if you haven't heard anything yet (I got an email) then either you might be on a waitlist or rejected, unfortunately. I might be wrong, but I thought I would at least update on this.
Thank you for the update. Just to clarify, by saying you received an email or by "if you haven't heard back yet" do you mean you got an offer of some sort or that they replied to your inquiry?

idmasterz
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by idmasterz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:24 pm

I forgot to add, the offers should roll out next week, that is what I was told.
Last edited by idmasterz on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm

idmasterz wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:24 pm
I forgot to add, the offers should roll out next week, that is what I was told :)
May I ask whether you got an email unprompted? Which basically said "we will be rolling out offers next week"?

(Sorry, I ask because if yes, that seems surely like I will not be getting an offer ...)

idmasterz
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by idmasterz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm

uptohomotopy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm
idmasterz wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:24 pm
I forgot to add, the offers should roll out next week, that is what I was told :)
May I ask whether you got an email unprompted? Which basically said "we will be rolling out offers next week"?

(Sorry, I ask because if yes, that seems surely like I will not be getting an offer ...)
Yes, I got the message unprompted, but perhaps because I have an external scholarship. The 5 person thing was correct, so the committee will definitely have a difficult decision. Honestly, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until they send out offers next week.
Last edited by idmasterz on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:39 pm

I emailed the grad admissions email address, and they replied after my previous post and said that a decision had not yet been made on my application (which is probably what they are telling anyone who asks).

Unless someone has already gotten a rejection (e.g. math grad cafe has one - is it fake?), in which case them saying "they have not made a decision" is not just the generic response?

idmasterz
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by idmasterz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm

uptohomotopy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:39 pm
I emailed the grad admissions email address, and they replied after my previous post and said that a decision had not yet been made on my application (which is probably what they are telling anyone who asks).

Unless someone has already gotten a rejection (e.g. math grad cafe has one - is it fake?), in which case them saying "they have not made a decision" is not just the generic response?
They have a shortlist, and will make a decision based on that shortlist. So, it is correct that they wouldn't have made a decision on you yet. Perhaps that actually means you are on the shortlist, which is obviously good, but no idea if thats what they just say generically, sorry.

RunningOutOfHope
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by RunningOutOfHope » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 pm

Looks like someone else got rejected on GradCafe

uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:03 pm

Do you feel like far fewer people applied to Columbia this time?
Because usually when one rejection appears on Grad Cafe, you would expect there to be several. It would be strange if they only reject a small number of applications in one go ...

RunningOutOfHope
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by RunningOutOfHope » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:07 pm

uptohomotopy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:03 pm
Do you feel like far fewer people applied to Columbia this time?
Because usually when one rejection appears on Grad Cafe, you would expect there to be several. It would be strange if they only reject a small number of applications in one go ...
I think that may be a possibility since they initially were not taking any applicants, perhaps some people didn't realize they opened admissions again?

uptohomotopy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 am

Re: Columbia rejections?

Post by uptohomotopy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:40 pm

RunningOutOfHope wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:07 pm
I think that may be a possibility since they initially were not taking any applicants, perhaps some people didn't realize they opened admissions again?
I guess. It still seems strange that some people got rejections and some didn't hear anything; I thought usually rejections and waitlist go out together (not that I'm complaining).



Post Reply