Memphis or Alaska Fairbanks?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ray52

Memphis or Alaska Fairbanks?

Post by ray52 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:11 am

Hey guys!
I'm an international student and going to study combinatorics/graph theory in phd program. I have received an offer from Memphis and need to respond recently. For my other applications, Alaska Fairbanks is the only hopeful and relatively safe one. Maybe I can get a result next week.
If I can't get an offer from UAF before the responding deadline of Memphis, of course I will accept Memphis's offer. But if I get both next week, I'm not sure which one is better choice. For UAF, its location is not soo good, and it is said that the whole university is in decline. For Memphis, I'm kind of worried about the safety of this city(maybe I don't know the real situation). I have to admit that I don't know much about academic things, so currently my consideration is mainly about non-academic aspects.
Hope you guys could give me some suggestions!
Hope you could get good offers! :D

ray52

Re: Memphis or Alaska Fairbanks?

Post by ray52 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 am

I also have a master admission from Northeastern, but I prefer to get into phd program.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am

Most schools are participants of the April 15 CGS agreement that you don't have to commit anywhere by that date. Furthermore, even if you have signed with a specific school where you have been accepted, the agreement also mentions that you can break the agreement with any school without any repercussion before April 15. With that said, I'm not certain if UAF or Memphis are participants (they probably are).

EDIT: This is apparently false, according to April 15 Resolution, this does not apply to admission offers. So we still need to obtain written release from the department before or after April once we have signed. Sorry

I think it would be more helpful for us if you tell us where else you have applied, and what exactly Memphis tells you (i.e. whether they sent you an official offer, their stated deadline for reply).

ray52

Post by ray52 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:33 am

pkzrd wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am
Most schools are participants of the April 15 CGS agreement that you don't have to commit anywhere by that date. Furthermore, even if you have signed with a specific school where you have been accepted, the agreement also mentions that you can break the agreement with any school without any repercussion before April 15. With that said, I'm not certain if UAF or Memphis are participants (they probably are).

EDIT: This is apparently false, according to April 15 Resolution, this does not apply to admission offers. So we still need to obtain written release from the department before or after April once we have signed. Sorry

I think it would be more helpful for us if you tell us where else you have applied, and what exactly Memphis tells you (i.e. whether they sent you an official offer, their stated deadline for reply).
Thank you! I have contacted other universities, I'm sure they won't give me offer. I have got official offer from memphis, and need to respond before march 8.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am

ray52 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:33 am
pkzrd wrote:

Thank you! I have contacted other universities, I'm sure they won't give me offer. I have got official offer from memphis, and need to respond before march 8.
I'm sorry to hear that.

If you are certain that all other universities beside UAF won't give you an offer and you aren't sure if UAF will, my two cents is to accept the offer at Memphis couple days before their given deadline. If UAF does end up accepting you later and you wish to go there, the chances are you can probably get a written release from Memphis.

Another option would be to wait another year, this year's admission is brutal due to tight funding and other restrictions. It might be beneficial to reapply next year. The problem is you are international so your visa will expire - if you do take this route the best route is to find a funded master degree somewhere (can also be in Canada, I'm not sure if your Northeastern offer is funded, Boston is a great city!) to strengthen your application.

ray52

Post by ray52 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:07 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am
ray52 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:33 am
pkzrd wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you are certain that all other universities beside UAF won't give you an offer and you aren't sure if UAF will, my two cents is to accept the offer at Memphis couple days before their given deadline. If UAF does end up accepting you later and you wish to go there, the chances are you can probably get a written release from Memphis.

Another option would be to wait another year, this year's admission is brutal due to tight funding and other restrictions. It might be beneficial to reapply next year. The problem is you are international so your visa will expire - if you do take this route the best route is to find a funded master degree somewhere (can also be in Canada, I'm not sure if your Northeastern offer is funded, Boston is a great city!) to strengthen your application.
I really like Boston, but some universities there are not suitable for me, others don't give me offer. :(
I think the most likely situation for me is, choose Memphis or UAF. :(

pietropic

Post by pietropic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Weren't you accepted at Northeastern? That's in Boston

liuluck22

Post by liuluck22 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:36 pm

ray52 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:11 am
Hey guys!
I'm an international student and going to study combinatorics/graph theory in phd program. I have received an offer from Memphis and need to respond recently. For my other applications, Alaska Fairbanks is the only hopeful and relatively safe one. Maybe I can get a result next week.
If I can't get an offer from UAF before the responding deadline of Memphis, of course I will accept Memphis's offer. But if I get both next week, I'm not sure which one is better choice. For UAF, its location is not soo good, and it is said that the whole university is in decline. For Memphis, I'm kind of worried about the safety of this city(maybe I don't know the real situation). I have to admit that I don't know much about academic things, so currently my consideration is mainly about non-academic aspects.
I also applied to memphis and received an offer in November last year. One of my advisor completed his PhD study in Memphis with Bollobas. There are actually not too much combinatorics stuff left at Memphis. Bollobas has retired and Balister went to Oxford. The only choice for an PhD advisor is Nikiforov. My advisor told me he did not really advise students and is close to retire. I think Memphis is not a good choice now. You could try to work for a semester and apply to Canadian Schools. Most MSc programs in Canada have a funding and some may offer a spring admission. I am also an international student so I also consider permanent resident application as a factor. Some Canada Msc programs may offer you a direct Canada green card.

I am not sure about UAF, but I think my advice for Memphis may help you.

ray52

Post by ray52 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:43 pm

pietropic wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:35 pm
Weren't you accepted at Northeastern? That's in Boston
Yes, but only master admission without funding. I want to be financially independent.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I think an offer is admission+funding.

ray52

Post by ray52 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 pm

liuluck22 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:36 pm
ray52 wrote:
Hey guys!
I also applied to memphis and received an offer in November last year. One of my advisor completed his PhD study in Memphis with Bollobas. There are actually not too much combinatorics stuff left at Memphis. Bollobas has retired and Balister went to Oxford. The only choice for an PhD advisor is Nikiforov. My advisor told me he did not really advise students and is close to retire. I think Memphis is not a good choice now. You could try to work for a semester and apply to Canadian Schools. Most MSc programs in Canada have a funding and some may offer a spring admission. I am also an international student so I also consider permanent resident application as a factor. Some Canada Msc programs may offer you a direct Canada green card.

Thank you! I've probably awared of the problem you mentioned, but not so detailed as you. Actually there is an associate professor from caltech, I think he might be the only choice for phd students working on combinatorics.
There are two professors in UAF advising phd students in combinatorics. But due to bad economics situation, only very few courses are offered. I saw someone on niche said he/she had to choose a course that study physics in depth. Maybe this problem could be solved, but I really don't want to take this kind of course.
Something interesting: a professor in Memphis told me they received several strong applications in graph theory area.

liuluck22

Post by liuluck22 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:37 pm

ray52 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 pm
liuluck22 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:36 pm
ray52 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thank you! I've probably awared of the problem you mentioned, but not so detailed as you. Actually there is an associate professor from caltech, I think he might be the only choice for phd students working on combinatorics.
There are two professors in UAF advising phd students in combinatorics. But due to bad economics situation, only very few courses are offered. I saw someone on niche said he/she had to choose a course that study physics in depth. Maybe this problem could be solved, but I really don't want to take this kind of course.
Something interesting: a professor in Memphis told me they received several strong applications in graph theory area.
This year is extremely tough. Memphis is the first school which offer me a letter (In November) but my other applications are poor. You may reapply again and get a better offer. I will possibly do a Msc first.