Radio silence?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
whateverwhatever

Radio silence?

Post by whateverwhatever » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:38 pm

(2021) Still haven't heard a peep from any of the programs I applied to:

Columbia APAM for math/data
NYU data science (not Courant/pure)
CUNY pure math/algebra focused

Has anyone? Only saw initial stuff for Columbia APAM this week and CUNY shortlist stuff. Lil p*ssed with CUNY, I literally teach there (have an MS from NYU, adjunct lecturer) and I'm pretty sure they threw out my app for not having a GRE even though I got approval from the department to skip it. Or I just suck and need an excuse :wink:

I'd generally consider silence at this point a rejection, no? Thoughts? Commiseration?

Also if you want masters advice feel free to hmu. Most general: do everything you possibly can to get someone else to pay for it.

hormander

Re: Radio silence?

Post by hormander » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 pm

I poked CUNY again about the shortlist thing and it turned out that I am placed on top of their waitlist (a specific number). I suspect that they have finished sending offers but I have no info on the class size etc.

kahdk

Post by kahdk » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:48 am

whateverwhatever wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:38 pm
(2021) Still haven't heard a peep from any of the programs I applied to:

Columbia APAM for math/data
NYU data science (not Courant/pure)
CUNY pure math/algebra focused

Has anyone? Only saw initial stuff for Columbia APAM this week and CUNY shortlist stuff. Lil p*ssed with CUNY, I literally teach there (have an MS from NYU, adjunct lecturer) and I'm pretty sure they threw out my app for not having a GRE even though I got approval from the department to skip it. Or I just suck and need an excuse :wink:

I'd generally consider silence at this point a rejection, no? Thoughts? Commiseration?

Also if you want masters advice feel free to hmu. Most general: do everything you possibly can to get someone else to pay for it.
One of my friend got in NYU data science PhD. He was informed by the professor informally. But I have more than 3 friends interviewed for NYU DS. So I think if you have not been interviewed, you probably will get a rejection.

For Columbia APAM, one of my freind got waitlist email. His field is not data thou.

homotopysphere

Post by homotopysphere » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:42 pm

hormander wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 pm
I poked CUNY again about the shortlist thing and it turned out that I am placed on top of their waitlist (a specific number). I suspect that they have finished sending offers but I have no info on the class size etc.
CUNY is expecting to admit around 9 people.

Sl(2,R)

Post by Sl(2,R) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 pm

I can confirm that CUNY is only accepting about 9 applicants. I was offered a position last Friday and was told that this years class is going to be minuscule.

orebas

Post by orebas » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Who did you speak to at CUNY? Or Columbia APAM? TIA.