Choice of school for geometry / topology

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
MolecularCaterpillar

Choice of school for geometry / topology

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:18 am

I've been accepted into UIUC and Ohio State for a pure math PhD and I think in the end I'll be choosing between these two. I was mostly interested in geometry and topology but I think I'm still very flexible and quite open to exploring other fields as well. The rankings of these two schools seem to be similar but I know individual advisors are usually more important. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!

homotopysphere

Re: Choice of school for geometry / topology

Post by homotopysphere » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm

It depends maybe on what specifically you like, I think. I'll add a bit more to this comment soon, but could you elaborate on things within geometry/topology you find interesting?

ribbit

Post by ribbit » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm

I have heard great things about the program at UIUC in general, and many people recommend it for geometry/topology. Also, UIUC has a graduate employees' union, whereas graduate students can't legally form a union in the state of Ohio. Typically your pay, benefits, and workers rights will be much better if you go to a school with a union (and the school has to take graduate student concerns seriously).

MolecularCaterpillar

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:24 am

homotopysphere wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm
It depends maybe on what specifically you like, I think. I'll add a bit more to this comment soon, but could you elaborate on things within geometry/topology you find interesting?
I think I'm more on the algebraic side than the analytical side like geometric analysis. I've seen some symplectic and complex geometry (and a tiny bit of algebraic geometry) in my senior project and I have read some algebraic topology on my own and with a professor. Those did seem interesting but I don't think I'm really dead set on doing these, especially since I haven't seen a lot of the other stuff like geometric group theory, which basically no one here in my school is doing.

Chem_Whale2021

Post by Chem_Whale2021 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Look into Stony Brook for Geometry/Topology

dumbquestionsonly

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:39 pm

Did you end up deciding?

contingent

Post by contingent » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:52 am

OSU is very strong all-around. They succeed in every area but don't really stand out in any one area. This would give you the flexibility you're looking for. However, UIUC will offer you similar flexibility, but in addition, stands out in T/G (top 20 I believe).

MolecularCaterpillar

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 am

Thanks for all the info! I think I'll be going to UIUC. Best of luck to everyone!