Waitlist Thread 2021

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
anynonymous_ferret
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:53 am

Hello, I thought it would be neat to have a thread dedicated to waitlists (official/unofficial alike). Post here if you hear from any of your programs :) I am on 3 waitlists at the moment. Best of luck to all!

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:51 pm

I'm on four waitlists right now: UIUC, Wisconsin, Stony Brook, and Johns Hopkins. If anyone declines an offer at any of those and sees this, it would be great if you could comment or PM me. Crossing my fingers for everyone else on waitlists!

AnatolyBabakov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:42 pm

I am waitlisted in UIC , LSU, GWU
Last edited by AnatolyBabakov on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albert_Eisenstein
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:17 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:59 pm

I'm waitlisted at Minnesota and Wisconsin. I would really appreciate anyone who's been offered and isn't interested in going to these schools, to decline as soon as they can. Thanks!

sollux
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by sollux » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:57 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:59 pm
I'm waitlisted at Minnesota and Wisconsin. I would really appreciate anyone who's been offered and isn't interested in going to these schools, to decline as soon as they can. Thanks!
Waitlisted at Minnesota as well. Would appreciate the same.

Also waitlisted at Penn and UVA, but those seem unlikely from the responses I got back from them.

kahdk
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by kahdk » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am

sollux wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:57 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:59 pm
I'm waitlisted at Minnesota and Wisconsin. I would really appreciate anyone who's been offered and isn't interested in going to these schools, to decline as soon as they can. Thanks!
Waitlisted at Minnesota as well. Would appreciate the same.

Also waitlisted at Penn and UVA, but those seem unlikely from the responses I got back from them.
You mean UPenn or Penn state? I just declined my offer at UPenn. Hope whoever is waiting for it may get good news.

sollux
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by sollux » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:08 pm

kahdk wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
sollux wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:57 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:59 pm
I'm waitlisted at Minnesota and Wisconsin. I would really appreciate anyone who's been offered and isn't interested in going to these schools, to decline as soon as they can. Thanks!
Waitlisted at Minnesota as well. Would appreciate the same.

Also waitlisted at Penn and UVA, but those seem unlikely from the responses I got back from them.
You mean UPenn or Penn state? I just declined my offer at UPenn. Hope whoever is waiting for it may get good news.
My, bad, UPenn. Very much appreciate it, but I imagine I'm rather low on the waitlist since I don't have much algebraic geometry experience, but someone somewhere is definitely getting good news.

notaiscrim
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by notaiscrim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 pm

I'm on the waitlist on Brandeis, CUNY, Michigan State, Rutgers, UConn, and UGA :mrgreen:

liuluck22
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:48 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by liuluck22 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:38 am

Waitlist for Emory. If anyone declined their offer, I'd be very appreciated.

Xzcouter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:29 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by Xzcouter » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:43 pm

Currently on a waitlist for Northeastern, heres hoping.

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by iliketopology » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 pm

I'm waitlisted at Brandeis, Boston College, and Tufts. Any relevant info that anyone has would be appreciated! Best of luck to all!

anynonymous_ferret
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:09 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 pm
I'm waitlisted at Brandeis, Boston College, and Tufts. Any relevant info that anyone has would be appreciated! Best of luck to all!
I declined my Brandeis offer yesterday. Best of luck to you!

notaiscrim
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by notaiscrim » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 pm

@anynonymous_ferret: I'm also on the Brandeis waitlist, thanks for declining :)

@anynonymous_ferret, @iliketopology: what are you interested in? I'm doing Number Theory.

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by iliketopology » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 pm

notaiscrim wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 pm
@anynonymous_ferret: I'm also on the Brandeis waitlist, thanks for declining :)

@anynonymous_ferret, @iliketopology: what are you interested in? I'm doing Number Theory.
I'm most interested in low-dimensional topology and/or geometric group theory.

notaiscrim
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by notaiscrim » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:25 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 pm
notaiscrim wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 pm
@anynonymous_ferret: I'm also on the Brandeis waitlist, thanks for declining :)

@anynonymous_ferret, @iliketopology: what are you interested in? I'm doing Number Theory.
I'm most interested in low-dimensional topology and/or geometric group theory.
Nice! Good luck, hope we'll meet each other next year in Boston :)

anynonymous_ferret
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:29 pm

notaiscrim wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 pm
@anynonymous_ferret: I'm also on the Brandeis waitlist, thanks for declining :)

@anynonymous_ferret, @iliketopology: what are you interested in? I'm doing Number Theory.
Number theory also.

riemmanmath
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by riemmanmath » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:36 pm

I am in the waitlist at LSGNT, interested in arithmetic geometry. If anyone is planning on accepting/declining an offer let me know.

sz9232
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by sz9232 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm

I was waitlisted by Duke, UT Austin, Rutgers, UW Seattle, Notre Dame and IU Bloomington and have declined several. Was hoping to get in either Duke or UT Austin, but that seems extremely unlikely.

SLSC
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:17 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by SLSC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:07 pm

I’m on the waitlist for Rutgers, UVA, Notre Dame, USC. Hope I can get off some of these waitlists.

SSLyn34
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by SSLyn34 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 am

I am on the waitlist for MIT. I know that the chance of getting off this waitlist is very slim cause I believe not many people would decline offers from MIT. But anyway, finger crossed for any good news!

herzog
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by herzog » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:58 pm

anynonymous_ferret wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:09 pm
iliketopology wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 pm
I'm waitlisted at Brandeis, Boston College, and Tufts. Any relevant info that anyone has would be appreciated! Best of luck to all!
I declined my Brandeis offer yesterday. Best of luck to you!
Hi, did you happen to go to the open house? Were there any reasons you had for declining? I am also considering Brandeis.

contingent
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by contingent » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:14 pm

Currently waitlisted at Hawaii Manoa and "right near the top of the waitlist" at NCSU. NCSU is my top choice. If anyone here has received an acceptance from them and isn't planning to attend please decline.

lapislazur
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by lapislazur » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:22 pm

contingent wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:14 pm
Currently waitlisted at Hawaii Manoa and "right near the top of the waitlist" at NCSU. NCSU is my top choice. If anyone here has received an acceptance from them and isn't planning to attend please decline.
Just declined my offer from UH earlier today, hope it helps!

reluctantforumuser
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:35 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by reluctantforumuser » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:02 pm

Unofficially and officially waitlisted among UT Austin, Columbia, U Penn, and Cornell. Would be nice if NSF would help tip the scales at a few of them, but who knows.

Silvernuts
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by Silvernuts » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:27 pm

I'm waitlisted in UT Austin, Cornell, Caltech, and Minnesota.

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by iliketopology » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Silvernuts wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:27 pm
I'm waitlisted in UT Austin, Cornell, Caltech, and Minnesota.
Hey, can I ask you you found out that you were waitlisted at Cornell and Minnesota? I haven't heard a single thing from either of them, but I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that (though I'm not optimistic haha).

ufo1234
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by ufo1234 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:54 pm

waitlisted at UMich for number theory/AG, if you don't plan on going there and are in a similar field please decline before April 15 you would be helping me out so so much!

Albert_Eisenstein
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:17 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 am

iliketopology wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm
Silvernuts wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:27 pm
I'm waitlisted in UT Austin, Cornell, Caltech, and Minnesota.
Hey, can I ask you you found out that you were waitlisted at Cornell and Minnesota? I haven't heard a single thing from either of them, but I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that (though I'm not optimistic haha).
I'm not OP and wasn't waitlisted at Cornell (want to know the same). But I found out that I was waitlisted at Minnesota by emailing the DGS there.

Konick_Sections12
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by Konick_Sections12 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:58 am

I'm currently waitlisted at Rice, SSCU and UNC. I sincerely and systematically request those accepted to this school to decline the offer ASAP. May we pursue our mathematical passions together bros!!

RandomMathStudent
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:12 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by RandomMathStudent » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:38 am

What is your take on the waitlist? As the usual deadline is 15th April, when should I just accept the offer from other institute?There are about 10 students above me on the waitlist, in a large department. Also, is there any trend that most wailisted candidate get off from the waitlist i.e.1 day, 2 days or, 5 days before deadline.I’d also be interested in any other information or advice you have.

jjmb11
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by jjmb11 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:01 pm

RandomMathStudent wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:38 am
What is your take on the waitlist? As the usual deadline is 15th April, when should I just accept the offer from other institute?There are about 10 students above me on the waitlist, in a large department. Also, is there any trend that most wailisted candidate get off from the waitlist i.e.1 day, 2 days or, 5 days before deadline.I’d also be interested in any other information or advice you have.
I'm kind of in the same boat... I'm pretty sure I know where I'm going, and I'm debating how long I want to wait before committing on the off chance I get accepted off a waitlist.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:35 pm

I just declined an offer from CUNY. I'm interested in topology, so they may be going to the waitlist with that in mind.

hormander
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by hormander » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:25 pm

dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:35 pm
I just declined an offer from CUNY. I'm interested in topology, so they may be going to the waitlist with that in mind.
As you declined this offer, I am moved off from the waitlist. :D

rekker
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:54 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by rekker » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:51 am

Waitlisted at Rutgers. If you do not plan on applying to the two above, please decline asap. Thank you
Last edited by rekker on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

WithinEpsilon
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by WithinEpsilon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 am

I just declined at LSU. Good luck!

sz9232
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by sz9232 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:19 pm

sz9232 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm
I was waitlisted by Duke, UT Austin, Rutgers, UW Seattle, Notre Dame and IU Bloomington and have declined several. Was hoping to get in either Duke or UT Austin, but that seems extremely unlikely.
(A last-minute request). Since Duke will convert all waitlisted decisions to declines at the end of this month, I'd be grateful if someone could decline her/his offer if she/he is definitely not going.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:30 pm

Is anyone who's on a waitlist worried about people not declining until April 15th? If people don't decline their offers until late that day, we may not hear back in time about waitlist positions. Should I consider asking for a few extra days after April 15th to accept the current offer I plan to take if I don't get in off a waitlist?

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by iliketopology » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm

dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:30 pm
Is anyone who's on a waitlist worried about people not declining until April 15th? If people don't decline their offers until late that day, we may not hear back in time about waitlist positions. Should I consider asking for a few extra days after April 15th to accept the current offer I plan to take if I don't get in off a waitlist?
I'm absolutely worried about that, haha.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm
dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:30 pm
Is anyone who's on a waitlist worried about people not declining until April 15th? If people don't decline their offers until late that day, we may not hear back in time about waitlist positions. Should I consider asking for a few extra days after April 15th to accept the current offer I plan to take if I don't get in off a waitlist?
I'm absolutely worried about that, haha.
Here is my plan for now: I'll wait for another week, and if I haven't heard anything by then, I'll probably reach out to the place I currently intend to attend and ask for a few more days. But then the exact same problem arises for the person who would come off their waitlist to replace me, and this process just continues. So I don't even know if they would do it. Very worrying. Once anyone decides, decline everything else - you're saving lives!

moneydragon
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:09 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by moneydragon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm

Hi all, I've just declined my offer from Wisconsin Madison, hopefully that helps someone out!

AnatolyBabakov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:12 pm

Got waitlisted in Rochester today.

sz9232
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by sz9232 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:36 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with Duke? They said they would convert all waitlisted decisions to declines at the end of March, but I still haven't got an update yet.

MolecularCaterpillar
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:45 pm

Just declined my offer at Ohio State, good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

contingent
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by contingent » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 pm

Update on my waitlist status at NCSU:

I inquired again a few weeks after my first correspondence, and I just heard that I am now at the very top of the waitlist. All I need is one outstanding offer to decline for me to get into my dream program! Please please please respond to your offers!!! If you have something better please decline!

PajamaSam
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by PajamaSam » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:48 pm

Hello all,

It's been said multiple times at this point since many of us seem to be in a similar boat, but if you have an offer from UT Austin and you don't plan on going, please decline now! 10 days left until the deadline; I and many others would appreciate this.

Alternatively, if anyone has any updates about UT Austin, I would love to hear them.

pdenumericalanalysis
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:23 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by pdenumericalanalysis » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:58 pm

Hey y'all. I'm currently on the waitlist for Northwestern's ESAM and USC's PhD program. Northwestern emailed me a few days ago asking if I was still interested, then followed up saying they are waiting for some more offer responses before they can give me an offer. If you happen to be accepted to either of these schools and are not planning on attending please do decline!

lee_34
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:34 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by lee_34 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:50 am

Just withdrew the Michigan State waitlist. Good luck everyone.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am

For anyone waitlisted at Johns Hopkins:

They are waiting for responses from 11 applicants, and only need to fill 3 more spots. If at least 3 of those 11 applicants accept their offers, Hopkins will not go to the waitlist.

This is pretty frustrating. If they over-admit by so many people, they really should have let waitlisted people know that they will only be going to the waitlist in the event of kind of mass declinations.

hormander
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by hormander » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am

I can't believe that SUNY is still in the process of making a decision. just poked :lol:

reluctantforumuser
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:35 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by reluctantforumuser » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm

Just declined UT Austin. Good luck!



Post Reply