Waitlist Thread 2021

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
anynonymous_ferret
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 pm

The pressure is just building up.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Has anyone heard from UIUC or Wisconsin about waitlists after the initial notification?

5IsTheLargestInteger
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by 5IsTheLargestInteger » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:18 pm

dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 pm
Has anyone heard from UIUC or Wisconsin about waitlists after the initial notification?
Last Thursday Wisconsin hit me with “We are in the final stages of making PhD waitlist decisions. To help us make an informed decision, kindly let us know if you are still interested in receiving an offer from UW-Madison or if you have already accepted an offer from another program.” I followed this up asking that they take me off the waitlist. Best of luck!

woomy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by woomy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Anyone still waiting for their waitlist options?

The program I'm admitted to is pressuring me (with rather angry emails) to make a decision. However I still have not heard back from my waitlist. I don't know if I should keep waiting. If I still end up going to the current program I'm admitted to, would they be mad that I dragged so long? :shock:

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by iliketopology » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm

woomy wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Anyone still waiting for their waitlist options?

The program I'm admitted to is pressuring me (with rather angry emails) to make a decision. However I still have not heard back from my waitlist. I don't know if I should keep waiting. If I still end up going to the current program I'm admitted to, would they be mad that I dragged so long? :shock:
I’m still waiting on a waitlist too. My thinking is that if you think there is a reasonable chance that you still get an offer then it’s fine to hold out. On the other hand, for example, I haven’t heard a single word from Cornell, so I’m not counting that as a viable option worth waiting for.

As far as if a program will be mad that you dragged it out, I think that’s very doubtful and will probably be forgotten in about a week tops.

woomy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by woomy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm
woomy wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Anyone still waiting for their waitlist options?

The program I'm admitted to is pressuring me (with rather angry emails) to make a decision. However I still have not heard back from my waitlist. I don't know if I should keep waiting. If I still end up going to the current program I'm admitted to, would they be mad that I dragged so long? :shock:
I’m still waiting on a waitlist too. My thinking is that if you think there is a reasonable chance that you still get an offer then it’s fine to hold out. On the other hand, for example, I haven’t heard a single word from Cornell, so I’m not counting that as a viable option worth waiting for.

As far as if a program will be mad that you dragged it out, I think that’s very doubtful and will probably be forgotten in about a week tops.
Thank you for your reply! The program I am currently waitlisted by did send out an official waitlist letter, but when I inquired on the chances of getting off the waitlist recently, they did not reply at all. Would this be the case of a viable option or probably a lost cause?

AnatolyBabakov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:40 pm

woomy wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 pm
iliketopology wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm
woomy wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Anyone still waiting for their waitlist options?

The program I'm admitted to is pressuring me (with rather angry emails) to make a decision. However I still have not heard back from my waitlist. I don't know if I should keep waiting. If I still end up going to the current program I'm admitted to, would they be mad that I dragged so long? :shock:
I’m still waiting on a waitlist too. My thinking is that if you think there is a reasonable chance that you still get an offer then it’s fine to hold out. On the other hand, for example, I haven’t heard a single word from Cornell, so I’m not counting that as a viable option worth waiting for.

As far as if a program will be mad that you dragged it out, I think that’s very doubtful and will probably be forgotten in about a week tops.
Thank you for your reply! The program I am currently waitlisted by did send out an official waitlist letter, but when I inquired on the chances of getting off the waitlist recently, they did not reply at all. Would this be the case of a viable option or probably a lost cause?
I'm in the exact same boat..

anynonymous_ferret
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:51 pm

I also I am in a similar situation; I don't know if emailing the programs where I am waitlisted will do amy good tho, I think they are aware of the deadlines and are trying their best. Probably people are sitting on their offers until the absolute last minute, given that it is maybe harder to make an informed decision this year without in-person visits
...

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by yaskhn3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 pm

anynonymous_ferret wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:51 pm
I also I am in a similar situation; I don't know if emailing the programs where I am waitlisted will do amy good tho, I think they are aware of the deadlines and are trying their best. Probably people are sitting on their offers until the absolute last minute, given that it is maybe harder to make an informed decision this year without in-person visits
...
I'd like to add that quite a lot of us are waitlisted somewhere. I'm holding on my offer from UCSD in hope of getting into UCLA. I'm sure others are doing the same for their top choices. As a result, waitlist decisions are coming out really slow or resulting in mass rejections.

PajamaSam
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by PajamaSam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm

In light of the post above - is anyone left on here currently still holding an offer from UT Austin?

I was told recently that I'm on a remaining shortlist for a late offer (I've not been rejected yet despite the numerous reports on gradcafe and on here).

notaiscrim
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by notaiscrim » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:21 pm

In the same boat here. Have a couple of offers but am waiting on Brandeis. Any news on them?

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by iliketopology » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm

notaiscrim wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:21 pm
In the same boat here. Have a couple of offers but am waiting on Brandeis. Any news on them?
I was waitlisted at Brandeis but received a rejection from them today. I don't know if that means that there are more offers to come.

notaiscrim
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by notaiscrim » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:34 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
notaiscrim wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:21 pm
In the same boat here. Have a couple of offers but am waiting on Brandeis. Any news on them?
I was waitlisted at Brandeis but received a rejection from them today. I don't know if that means that there are more offers to come.
Thanks for letting me know, that sucks. We probably would've gotten in in a normal year :(

SchrodingersDog
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:11 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by SchrodingersDog » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:41 pm

PajamaSam wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm
In light of the post above - is anyone left on here currently still holding an offer from UT Austin?

I was told recently that I'm on a remaining shortlist for a late offer (I've not been rejected yet despite the numerous reports on gradcafe and on here).
I was also not rejected previously, but I inquired about my status today and they told me that the chance of an offer is low for me after yesterday (this is probably not the same for you, depending on your position on the waitlist, area of interest, etc., so you can probably email them to ask about your status if you want)

Schurzzzzzzzz
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:48 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by Schurzzzzzzzz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:50 pm

Just decline UCSD and Stony Brook(applied math). Good luck!

ensemble
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by ensemble » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:15 am

Declined NYU, good luck!

AnatolyBabakov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm

To those who go waitlisted in UIC. Have any of you heard back ?

toopham
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by toopham » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:50 am

Got into LSU. How do you know if its funded or not? I don't think it's stated anywhere on the admission letter.

AnatolyBabakov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 am

toopham wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:50 am
Got into LSU. How do you know if its funded or not? I don't think it's stated anywhere on the admission letter.
You can ask the DGS. ( Dr. Adkins ).
He mailed me about the funding information.

toopham
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Waitlist Thread 2021

Post by toopham » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:48 pm

Anyone else waiting on UGA?
At this time I'm scared to even email them and ask... but the application status is :awaiting decision. xD



Post Reply