Do I actually deserve this acceptance...

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
babii

Do I actually deserve this acceptance...

Post by babii » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm

I don't post this to brag or anything. Please don't twist my intention.

To anyone who has gotten into your dream schools out there, congratulations! But I do wanna ask if you feel self-conscious about your accomplishments sometimes? Do you ever think that you got in because you're extremely lucky? I've been feeling like that lately. I got into one of my dream schools and I am really really grateful for that. Although I was happy and proud of myself at first, my paper just got rejected and now I don't think I'm as good and accomplished as I thought I was. And now I feel like that school might have made a mistake.

I don't know what am I even asking lol. Sorry if that bothers you...

idmasterz

Re: Do I actually deserve this acceptance...

Post by idmasterz » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 pm

1. Paper's get rejected all the time, submit to another journal

2. You got in your dream school... own it! You've been given a massive opportunity, dont let it float by, take advantage of it and prove yourself that you are worth it.

bannanagamma

Post by bannanagamma » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:06 pm

I definitely think that sometimes of myself too (impostor syndrome <333) but there are a couple things to keep in mind. If you got in, your application was extensively reviewed and the departments really wanted you. Similarly, you had letter writers that also were confident in your abilities. Basically, a lot of people thought you were great.

Not everything is going to be an easy acceptance at every step, but your paper being rejected doesn’t mean that you don’t deserve what you got.

Congrats on getting into schools you like!! I hope you have a great time wherever you enroll.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:02 am

babii wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm
I don't post this to brag or anything. Please don't twist my intention.

To anyone who has gotten into your dream schools out there, congratulations! But I do wanna ask if you feel self-conscious about your accomplishments sometimes? Do you ever think that you got in because you're extremely lucky? I've been feeling like that lately. I got into one of my dream schools and I am really really grateful for that. Although I was happy and proud of myself at first, my paper just got rejected and now I don't think I'm as good and accomplished as I thought I was. And now I feel like that school might have made a mistake.

I don't know what am I even asking lol. Sorry if that bothers you...
Don't worry about how "good" or "accomplished" you are, especially as an undergraduate. It doesn't matter what you or anyone else 'deserves' - what matters is how you act each day in response to the opportunities given to you.

On a different note, based on everything I know or have seen, admissions committees know what they're doing whether it looks like it or not.

CochainComplex

Post by CochainComplex » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:51 am

This is what I liked about this whole process: you can apply to many strong schools and get lucky with one of them, ending up in a place which is slightly above your objective level and thus making the most of your potential. Besides, it is never pure random, e.g. you have two papers, which is good enough. At the same time, academia (and life in general) is far from fair, I'm not sure it's something to agonize over if you don't want to end up in a place with white walls. I think it's better not to think of this process in terms of fair/unfair. Your path continues and that's all that matters.

babii

Post by babii » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Thank you guys so so so much!