MS application with non-traditional background?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ripple_carry

MS application with non-traditional background?

Post by ripple_carry » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:58 pm

My undergrad was in computer science at UChicago, with no real math courses (3.5 GPA overall, ~3.7 GPA within computer science). After a couple of years working, I've realized that knowing some more math would be really helpful. I took MATH 23 A+B at the Harvard Extension School (a year-long linear algebra + basic real analysis + multivariable calc sequence) over the past year, and I think I need to apply to a more legitimate program than HES to continue from here on.

I live in New York City. My dream is to get an MS from NYU. Given that my actual-math background is pretty weak, how unrealistic is this? What boxes would I need to check to make it realistic?

I took a lot of proof based CS courses in e.g. graph theory and complexity theory during my undergrad, so I think I am relatively well prepared for a non-math major, but obviously there is a lot of actual subject matter I am missing. My impression is that MS programs are mostly cash cows for universities, so I am hoping it's not too hard to get my foot in the door, but I've also seen that Courant's acceptance rate is ~10%, so maybe I'm misunderstanding?

SLSC

Re: MS application with non-traditional background?

Post by SLSC » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:13 pm

I just finished my MS in math at NYU. I think from what I’ve seen you have a very good chance to get into the MS program at NYU. A lot of my classmates were not math majors either and you seem to have as good or maybe even better qualifications than they do.