How to decline politely

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
karlweierstrass

How to decline politely

Post by karlweierstrass » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 am

I have gotten into one of my top choices recently. However, before that, I attended Open day at a different place and talked to professors there besides their grad director. Unfortunately, I can't accept their offer now as I have a better alternative.

How should one go about declining at such a place, or anywhere in general?

"Thanks for the generous offer. However, I won't be able to attend as.." State my reason? Or just say I won't attend?

Thanks!

babii

Re: How to decline politely

Post by babii » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:09 am

I'm not sure what's the standard way, but this is what I've been doing: I like to keep it short, humble, and polite. I said that I really appreciate their interest in me, and told them I wouldn't be able to attend their programs. I didn't state the reason, as I thought it might sound braggy, although they would definitely email you back and ask where you'll be going. Keep in mind that you want them to like you, as they might even be your colleagues some days. Also don't forget to wish them success blah blah!

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:29 am

It is not even necessary to write something. You can just decline in the portal. They were not born yesterday. In fact, they calculated beforehand approximately how many will decline and they need them to. Of course, if they do ask for a general reason, telling them will help them calibrate even better for future years.

thereexistsausername

Post by thereexistsausername » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:55 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:29 am
It is not even necessary to write something. You can just decline in the portal. They were not born yesterday. In fact, they calculated beforehand approximately how many will decline and they need them to. Of course, if they do ask for a general reason, telling them will help them calibrate even better for future years.
Not all schools let you decline in the portal. Some schools ask that you give an email response to decline.

I agree with babii, keep it short and polite. Unless there are special circumstances, I wouldn't bother writing a reason. Something that helped me just send the email was remembering that they would much rather know sooner so they can give the spot to someone else.

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:14 am

karlweierstrass wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 am
I have gotten into one of my top choices recently. However, before that, I attended Open day at a different place and talked to professors there besides their grad director. Unfortunately, I can't accept their offer now as I have a better alternative.

How should one go about declining at such a place, or anywhere in general?

"Thanks for the generous offer. However, I won't be able to attend as.." State my reason? Or just say I won't attend?

Thanks!
The act of declining an offer itself, is imho, polite.