grad schools for combinatorics

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Jmr324

grad schools for combinatorics

Post by Jmr324 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm

What are some grad schools for combinatorics/graph theory (not algebraic combinatorics) (Im not opposed to doing algebraic combinatorics, I currently am more interested in extremal combinatorics and structural graph theory)?
Obviously GaTech, CMU, Waterloo.
Last edited by Jmr324 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclicduck

Re: grad schools for combinatorics

Post by Cyclicduck » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:19 pm

I highly recommend you do not do combinatorics, and if you do, do algebraic combinatorics.

That being said, if you really want to do combinatorics, there's Rutgers (experimental), Stanford, and MIT.

homotopysphere

Post by homotopysphere » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:19 pm
I highly recommend you do not do combinatorics, and if you do, do algebraic combinatorics.

That being said, if you really want to do combinatorics, there's Rutgers (experimental), Stanford, and MIT.
Wait, why?

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:36 pm

homotopysphere wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:

Wait, why?
Why would someone do combinatorics (especially non-algebraic)? It has no connection to the rest of math. You should know this well given your username...

homotopysphere

Post by homotopysphere » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:36 pm
homotopysphere wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:

Wait, why?
Why would someone do combinatorics (especially non-algebraic)? It has no connection to the rest of math. You should know this well given your username...
Sorry, it's difficult to tell when people are joking online. I thought there was really some reason I didn't know about. My bad!

Jmr324

Post by Jmr324 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:

What about geometric combinatorics?

jiayiwen99

Post by jiayiwen99 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm

I don't quite know about the school list, but if you are doing probabilistic/additive combinatorics, I guess almost every school with a combinatorics group will be good to apply. Sorry, I don't know much about this area, but I would suggest looking at the website of each school.

What Cyclicduck said is obviously joking. Combinatorics definitely has some relation with other areas of math. I don't have much knowledge about probabilistic/additive combinatorics, but from my experience, analysis is heavily used in probabilistic/additive combinatorics. At least, I know there are many applications in number theory. For example, the prime number theorem and the Green-Tao Theorem. Algebraic combinatorics is very different from probabilistic/additive combinatorics, including the objects and the tools that are used to study. It also has connections with other areas of math, but most of the applications or tools fall in the areas that have closed relations with algebra (i.e. commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, algebraic number theory, etc.).

Jmr324

Post by Jmr324 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 pm

jiayiwen99 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm
I don't quite know about the school list, but if you are doing probabilistic/additive combinatorics, I guess almost every school with a combinatorics group will be good to apply. Sorry, I don't know much about this area, but I would suggest looking at the website of each school.

What Cyclicduck said is obviously joking. Combinatorics definitely has some relation with other areas of math. I don't have much knowledge about probabilistic/additive combinatorics, but from my experience, analysis is heavily used in probabilistic/additive combinatorics. At least, I know there are many applications in number theory. For example, the prime number theorem and the Green-Tao Theorem. Algebraic combinatorics is very different from probabilistic/additive combinatorics, including the objects and the tools that are used to study. It also has connections with other areas of math, but most of the applications or tools fall in the areas that have closed relations with algebra (i.e. commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, algebraic number theory, etc.).
Thanks for the advice. Results like regularity lemma, Roth's theorem, Green-Tao theorem, Van der Waerden's theorem etc are what got me interested in these areas. Yea I assume they're joking.

Hallauer

Post by Hallauer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 pm

I can only speak to the US, but I know there to be good extremal combinatorics faculty at (in no particular order) CMU, GT, UCSD, UIUC, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, UIC, Minnesota, and Rutgers. In addition, UT-Austin, Berkeley, and Washington are very known for CS Theory but their math departments don't actually have people in combinatorics. I am sure there are others I am missing, especially ranked (for overall math) around UIC or lower.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:39 am

Jmr324 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 pm
What about geometric combinatorics?
I don't really know what geometric combinatorics is.
jiayiwen99 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm

It is true that analysis is used in some areas of combinatorics, but it's just to solve certain problems which are of isolated interest and not actually relevant to analysis or anything else as far as I can tell. Combinatorics is not related to the prime number theorem at all. Combinatorics is used to prove the Green-Tao theorem, but that's because this theorem is really just a statement about numbers satisfying certain density conditions, which the primes happen to satisfy. Thus I would not count this as an application to number theory either. I don't understand your statement about "areas that have closed relations with algebra".

AnatolyBabakov

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:40 am

Jmr324 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm
What are some grad schools for combinatorics/graph theory (not algebraic combinatorics) (Im not opposed to doing algebraic combinatorics, I currently am more interested in extremal combinatorics and structural graph theory)?
Consider UIUC , UIC, UC San Diego, U Minesotta. They have a few amazing faculties working in the areas that you mentioned.

notaiscrim

Post by notaiscrim » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:41 pm

AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:40 am
Jmr324 wrote:
Consider UIUC , UIC, UC San Diego, U Minesotta. They have a few amazing faculties working in the areas that you mentioned.
UGA is pretty good in Additive Combinatorics. Furthermore, Rochester and Emory are strong in the topics you mentioned.

AnatolyBabakov

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm

notaiscrim wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:41 pm
AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Jmr324 wrote:
UGA is pretty good in Additive Combinatorics. Furthermore, Rochester and Emory are strong in the topics you mentioned.
Yah my bad I should have mentioned Emory. But, to be honest, Rochester is amazing in analytic combinatorics and not the ones that OP mentioned. ( Pretty much why I am almost sure I'll be going there )

Jmr324

Post by Jmr324 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:16 pm

AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm
notaiscrim wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:41 pm
AnatolyBabakov wrote:

Yah my bad I should have mentioned Emory. But, to be honest, Rochester is amazing in analytic combinatorics and not the ones that OP mentioned. ( Pretty much why I am almost sure I'll be going there )
I like Emory a lot. My current interests are more in graph theory (especially structural) and extremal combinatorics. I'll look into more analytic combinatorics because it looks like a really interesting area.