Deleted

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
kiramitsu

Deleted

Post by kiramitsu » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:30 am

post is deleted
Last edited by kiramitsu on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

quanticbolt

Re: Phd Statistics/Maths Fall 2022- advice, profile evaluation, and suggestions

Post by quanticbolt » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:46 am

A good mGRE score will almost certainly not hurt your chances (especially since you come from a stats background).

That said, your coursework looks fine if you want to go ahead and apply to math programs instead of stats programs. You'll likely be more or less prepared for a math degree based on your course repertoire. I think since you have a stats degree though, that you should emphasize your strong math background in your SOP. Don't list courses of course -- they can look at your transcript for that -- but try to talk about how you are (and have) prepared to address potential deficits in your mathematical background.

As you mentioned, a particular weak point of your application is your lack of research experience especially since you are a Master's student. In some subfields of math, it is not uncommon to not have much in the way of research until you've started a PhD, but stats is not one of those unfortunately. Can you think of any course-related projects you may have independently worked on going outside the scope of the syllabus (i.e. the implementation of some algorithm of some particular statistical method)? Do you have a Git?

I think it would be beneficial if you could cut back a bit on the coursework and try focus on some research projects, if possible. It's around this time that you are expected to start tackling some problems by yourself without needing to take courses for it. Of course, as someone who also loves to take courses and learn as many new things as possible, I understand that it's not so easy to do this.

Anyway, good luck on your applications. Even without any research experience, it is, in my opinion, a decently strong application. I'm not really sure about the particular programs and schools you've identified. Hopefully, someone else can chime in on that.

kiramitsu

Re: Deleted

Post by kiramitsu » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:57 am

post is deleted
Last edited by kiramitsu on Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

quanticbolt

Re: Phd Statistics/Maths Fall 2022- advice, profile evaluation, and suggestions

Post by quanticbolt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:56 pm

Just talk about what you have done.

Do: Try to emphasize the project you hope to work on in the upcoming term and the preparation you have done for that. Talk about your research goals for PhD.

Don't point to your lack of experience or make excuses. Admissions committees understand that not all students have equal opportunities to participate in research for a myriad of reasons. In general, they don't need to hear you explain why as much as they want to hear that you have a plan going forward.