Method for university apps shortlisting

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
anything

Method for university apps shortlisting

Post by anything » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:21 am

It's an unusual case. I did my Bachelors in Computer Science from India. Then, I did a 1-year MSc Mathematics program from Warwick university but did very miserable there (even had an F in a course and averaged at 62% total). So, I did another MSc Mathematics from IIT Kanpur in my country (India) and doing amazing here now (Rank 1/50 students, GPA 9.9/10, good recommendations, some project, no paper). The courses were of similar level, so not much difference there. I have two questions:

1) In my applications, can I just show only my recent MSc and ignore the Warwick one, or is it wrong to do that? Also, does it help or harm to include Warwick transcript/information (it could harm as they might think that I had an F in my life, it could help as they might see a massive improvement).

2) While choosing my Safe/Reach/Ambitious list of universities for application, do I hold my profile in higher regard thinking of my recent MSc degree or should I lower the bar of my list based on my past degree. Basically, should my past degree affect my list or should I choose only on the basis of my new credentials.