Profile Evaulation / Recommendation for schools

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mindyummy

Profile Evaulation / Recommendation for schools

Post by mindyummy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:01 pm

Hi there, I am a senior majoring in mathematics and geology. I decided I wanted to pursue a Ph.D in mathematics and the graduate students at my department told me there exists this site that I can get advices from besides my academic advisor (wasn't helpful at all) and my thesis advisor (which didn't give me a specific list of schools except her alumn). I thought it might be useful to get a second opinion to see what schools should be within my reasonable range of targets.

I go to a large public university. According to US news math ranking, it ranks between #60-80.
GPA: 3.89 / 4.00
Major: Mathematics / Geology
Major GPA in Math: 3.81 / 4.00
Minor: Computer Science
Courses taken:
(1st year) Calculus 2, Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, Ordinary Diff Eq, Discrete Structures (also known as intro to proofs)
(2nd year) Intro Abstract Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Intro Number Theory, Cryptography, Topology
(3rd year) Advanced Calculus 1, Advanced Calculus 2, Algebraic Geometry, Differential Geometry, Intro Complex Analysis
(current semester) Graduate Algebra 1, Graduate Analysis 1, Graduate Algebraic Topology
(next semester) Graduate Algebra 2, Graduate Analysis 2, Graduate Complex Analysis

I don't have any research experience, I'm new to the idea of REU, my advisor only told me this right before COVID started. I am currently working on a honors thesis project in algebraic geometry. I have proctoring and undergraduate teaching experience if that matters.

My department grad program briefly said he wasn't sure if next year (2022 admissions) will be more or less competitive than last year (2021 admissions), depending on the covid trend. Is this cycle going to be more competitive or less? What do you guys think? I know couple people from my school that didn't get anywhere (they applied to like 15-20 schools!) and will be applying again this year. But they should be in the minority right not most people? Shouldn't there be more funding this year since last year departments were stringent on funding?

Thanks! :D
I'm all ears!

Jmr324

Re: Profile Evaulation / Recommendation for schools

Post by Jmr324 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:31 pm

I'd only apply to T50 schools but other than that it really depends on the number of schools you're applying to and how strong your letters of recs are. Your coursework is really good, and you have a good GPA. I'd really try to speak to your letter writers and ask for their opinion on where you should apply. I am applying right now, so I am not an expert.

mindyummy

Post by mindyummy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:38 pm

Jmr324 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:31 pm
I'd only apply to T50 schools but other than that it really depends on the number of schools you're applying to and how strong your letters of recs are. Your coursework is really good, and you have a good GPA. I'd really try to speak to your letter writers and ask for their opinion on where you should apply. I am applying right now, so I am not an expert.
Thanks for the reply!

Actually I only have 1 letter writer so far from senior paper/thesis advisor. I still have to ask two other professors (one from previous classes and the other from current class) for letters, should I send an email or attend their office hours on zoom? :(

Jmr324

Post by Jmr324 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:10 am

I think meeting with them on zoom would be best.