Not self-reporting my GRE subject test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ohcanada

Not self-reporting my GRE subject test

Post by ohcanada » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi all,

I took the GRE subject test in September and did quite bad. Unfortunately, I selected four free universities to send my scores to when I registered, and my scores have been sent to them.

When applying to a school, the admissions form has a section where you typically self-report GRE scores so that they cross-reference them with the ones sent by the ETS. My question is: if the ETS reported my scores to a school for which the subject test is optional, can I just leave the self-reporting blank (i.e. pretend I didn't take the test)? My guess is that if I don't tell them I took it, they have no reason to scour their records and double check to see if I'm there...

NumberField

Re: Not self-reporting my GRE subject test

Post by NumberField » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:03 pm

I am not totally sure but I think you are right, even for schools that "recommend" GRE math subjects. If just "optional", it usually means the test score could just have a good impact on your application, for "recommend" ones, maybe things get complicated, but I still won't see it as a big trouble.
By the way, where did you take the exam in Sep? I thought all the exams in Sep are canceled. Now I have registered for Oct, but really don't know if it will be canceled either.