Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
sincostancotseccsc
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 am

Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by sincostancotseccsc » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:59 am

As past years, I am creating a sweat thread for everybody, and this is the thread for you to talk about your nervousness and relieve your stress.

I have applied for the math PhD in 10+ schools this year, most of them are outside of the US though, I hope I will end up landing in at least one PhD program next year.

pkzrd
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:39 pm

quasimeasurable wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:45 pm
Does anyone know if graduate student TA stipends are taxable? :D
Yes stipends are taxable.
Your school withholds federal/state/local tax from your paycheck then you (might) get some of them back when you file tax returns.

pkzrd
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Also (if it's not already obvious) when comparing offers between schools make sure to take into account the cost of living.

Things like rent, health insurance payments/tuition fees (if any), renters/auto insurance, income tax etc.
i.e. 30k a year in Boston or the bay area is probably a much tighter budget than 30k a year in say State College or Columbus.

mindyummy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by mindyummy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 pm

I've heard stories from grad students at my school that departments usually don't care that much about well-being of grad students, giving them lots of TA work while paying minimum wages and then kick half of them out thru qualifying exams.
They told me that besides getting to know the school and judging reputation of the department while picking a school, it is important to contact some graduate students and ask them about how they are treated to get a sense of how I will be treated.

Are there any truth to that?

pkzrd
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:29 am

mindyummy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 pm
I've heard stories from grad students at my school that departments usually don't care that much about well-being of grad students, giving them lots of TA work while paying minimum wages and then kick half of them out thru qualifying exams.
They told me that besides getting to know the school and judging reputation of the department while picking a school, it is important to contact some graduate students and ask them about how they are treated to get a sense of how I will be treated.

Are there any truth to that?
To a certain extent it's true the department don't care all that much about us, though I suspect some department care more or less than others. Some schools are notoriously of using difficult qualifying exam to "kick grad students out" so that they can cheap labor for teaching lower level undergraduate classes.

Arugably it's the result of capitalism. Schools are becoming corporations, giving out less tenure-ship (thus more adjunct and cheap TA required) while administrators, endowment managers and football coaches are getting paid 7 digits (or even 8 digits). If I recall correctly UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz had graduate students go on strike because of terrible pay, and then the schools fired them lol. There's a video on netflix that sort of explains this.

The bottom line is, we are getting paid terribly, probably overworked and the odds of getting an academic tenure-track job after graduation is almost zero. But I'm sure you are aware of this before applying to programs. If your school has a graduate student union, join! More graduate students in the union means more bargaining power.

EDIT some links
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03459-7
https://www.science.org/content/article ... onsume-you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytF2v7Vvw0

Weil98
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Weil98 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:49 am

pkzrd wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:29 am
mindyummy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 pm
I've heard stories from grad students at my school that departments usually don't care that much about well-being of grad students, giving them lots of TA work while paying minimum wages and then kick half of them out thru qualifying exams.
They told me that besides getting to know the school and judging reputation of the department while picking a school, it is important to contact some graduate students and ask them about how they are treated to get a sense of how I will be treated.

Are there any truth to that?
To a certain extent it's true the department don't care all that much about us, though I suspect some department care more or less than others. Some schools are notoriously of using difficult qualifying exam to "kick grad students out" so that they can cheap labor for teaching lower level undergraduate classes.

Arugably it's the result of capitalism. Schools are becoming corporations, giving out less tenure-ship (thus more adjunct and cheap TA required) while administrators, endowment managers and football coaches are getting paid 7 digits (or even 8 digits). If I recall correctly UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz had graduate students go on strike because of terrible pay, and then the schools fired them lol. There's a video on netflix that sort of explains this.

The bottom line is, we are getting paid terribly, probably overworked and the odds of getting an academic tenure-track job after graduation is almost zero. But I'm sure you are aware of this before applying to programs. If your school has a graduate student union, join! More graduate students in the union means more bargaining power.

EDIT some links
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03459-7
https://www.science.org/content/article ... onsume-you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytF2v7Vvw0
Do really grad students get out just because of qualifying exams? Don't they have more than one chance of redoing the exam(s)? I never heard of someone leaving their PhD program because he failed quals. This is the first time I hear this!!

Cophysneurec
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Cophysneurec » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Weil98 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:49 am

Do really grad students get out just because of qualifying exams? Don't they have more than one chance of redoing the exam(s)? I never heard of someone leaving their PhD program because he failed quals. This is the first time I hear this!!
I have heard that it is not uncommon for 50% of a class to not make it past quals at certain programs. I do not data, but I have heard UCSB was like this around a decade ago. It's extremely common in economics, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are at least a handful of top 100 or top 50 programs like this.

mindyummy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by mindyummy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Anyone thinks omicron's gonna throw a curve ball at this year's admission process, like in 2020?

Cophysneurec
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Cophysneurec » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:25 pm

I sure hope not. Considering how mild and contagious it is, seems like further restrictions would do more harm than good.

pkzrd
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:00 am

Weil98 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:49 am
pkzrd wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:29 am
mindyummy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 pm
I've heard stories from grad students at my school that departments usually don't care that much about well-being of grad students, giving them lots of TA work while paying minimum wages and then kick half of them out thru qualifying exams.
They told me that besides getting to know the school and judging reputation of the department while picking a school, it is important to contact some graduate students and ask them about how they are treated to get a sense of how I will be treated.

Are there any truth to that?
To a certain extent it's true the department don't care all that much about us, though I suspect some department care more or less than others. Some schools are notoriously of using difficult qualifying exam to "kick grad students out" so that they can cheap labor for teaching lower level undergraduate classes.

Arugably it's the result of capitalism. Schools are becoming corporations, giving out less tenure-ship (thus more adjunct and cheap TA required) while administrators, endowment managers and football coaches are getting paid 7 digits (or even 8 digits). If I recall correctly UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz had graduate students go on strike because of terrible pay, and then the schools fired them lol. There's a video on netflix that sort of explains this.

The bottom line is, we are getting paid terribly, probably overworked and the odds of getting an academic tenure-track job after graduation is almost zero. But I'm sure you are aware of this before applying to programs. If your school has a graduate student union, join! More graduate students in the union means more bargaining power.

EDIT some links
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03459-7
https://www.science.org/content/article ... onsume-you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytF2v7Vvw0
Do really grad students get out just because of qualifying exams? Don't they have more than one chance of redoing the exam(s)? I never heard of someone leaving their PhD program because he failed quals. This is the first time I hear this!!
Oh sorry because of all the trash talking I failed to respond.

Some programs are more notorious with having lower graduation rates i.e. % of incoming class successfully graduating with a Ph.D. Some of these statistics are somewhere on the school's website but it might not be the whole story (pure math might be harder to "survive" than say applied math in some departments). Contacting current grad students at the department you're interested in/accepted to will give you a fuller picture.

mindyummy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by mindyummy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:23 am

Cophysneurec wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:25 pm
I sure hope not. Considering how mild and contagious it is, seems like further restrictions would do more harm than good.
I hope not too. The number of cases look even worst than 2020 and 2021 combined. Though news say this variant is less deadly, so maybe it won't be as bad.

Weird times we live in

Cophysneurec
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Cophysneurec » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:17 pm

South Africa is looking good (where this thing started), and T cell immunity from the vaccine holds up to Omicron. Hospitalizations lower for Omicron vs Delta even with higher case rates.

Congratulations on getting in to Ohio State!

mindyummy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by mindyummy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:13 pm

Cophysneurec wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:17 pm
South Africa is looking good (where this thing started), and T cell immunity from the vaccine holds up to Omicron. Hospitalizations lower for Omicron vs Delta even with higher case rates.

Congratulations on getting in to Ohio State!
I hope you're right. It seems this pandemic refuses to end.

Cophysneurec
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Cophysneurec » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 pm

True that. It's been a dismal couple years.

mindyummy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by mindyummy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:44 am

Cophysneurec wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 pm
True that. It's been a dismal couple years.
Yeah, can almost say my degree is online.

deviant_lime
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by deviant_lime » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 am

Has anyone contacted schools to submit fall grades that were unavailable at the application deadline?

YellowBee
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:09 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by YellowBee » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:18 am

I know it's super early in the admissions cycle, but I already feel super nervous. What has everyone been up to over winter break as they're waiting on results?

Cophysneurec
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Cophysneurec » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:20 pm

deviant_lime wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 am
Has anyone contacted schools to submit fall grades that were unavailable at the application deadline?
Yes. I uploaded through the portal when I could, and otherwise emailed my transcript to the most relevant email address I could find. They have all responded positively.

Jmr324
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Jmr324 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:58 pm

YellowBee wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:18 am
I know it's super early in the admissions cycle, but I already feel super nervous. What has everyone been up to over winter break as they're waiting on results?
I've been pretty anxious as well. I try to stay busy with research and learning. Next week my semester starts so hopefully, that will keep me busy.

empty_functor
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by empty_functor » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:27 pm

Did anyone get any emails from Yale? I have someone in my department told me he's accepted unofficially thru email pending official acceptance? Trying to see if it's everyone who's accepted or just him

deviant_lime
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by deviant_lime » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:18 pm

Does anyone have any info on whether the number of applications departments are receiving is more in line with pre-covid years or is it going with the more recent trends of increased applicant numbers?

matejxx1
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:37 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by matejxx1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 am

From my conversations with profs its pretty much same as it's always been.

123t
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by 123t » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:06 am

empty_functor wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:27 pm
Did anyone get any emails from Yale? I have someone in my department told me he's accepted unofficially thru email pending official acceptance? Trying to see if it's everyone who's accepted or just him
So when they will update the status in the portal?

123t
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by 123t » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:07 am

Cophysneurec wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:20 pm
deviant_lime wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 am
Has anyone contacted schools to submit fall grades that were unavailable at the application deadline?
Yes. I uploaded through the portal when I could, and otherwise emailed my transcript to the most relevant email address I could find. They have all responded positively.
How do you update for UCLA? They did not respond to my email. Can you provide the email link?

Cophysneurec
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Cophysneurec » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:59 pm

123t wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:07 am

How do you update for UCLA? They did not respond to my email. Can you provide the email link?
Check my profile again.

Maybe one of their staff emails would be suitable if they list them.

Weil98
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Weil98 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 pm

Does anyone know if Ohio State will send any more acceptances?

vladvladvlad
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:09 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by vladvladvlad » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:11 pm

Weil98 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Does anyone know if Ohio State will send any more acceptances?
In past years they've supposedly sent out offers in two waves. I don't know if that will be the case this year, but it's possible they might send out more offers later this month.

deviant_lime
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by deviant_lime » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:15 pm

What does it mean if a department invites you to an open house but has not sent offers yet? Do they invite all applicants or just a long list/ short list etc?

Weil98
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Weil98 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:38 am

vladvladvlad wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:11 pm
Weil98 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Does anyone know if Ohio State will send any more acceptances?
In past years they've supposedly sent out offers in two waves. I don't know if that will be the case this year, but it's possible they might send out more offers later this month.
I hope so!

Weil98
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Weil98 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:39 am

Friends, do all universities have waiting lists?

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by HyperCar2022 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am

Weil98 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:39 am
Friends, do all universities have waiting lists?
Technically yes. Almost all universities released admissions time to time untill they got right number of students they want. Though you may not be notified as wl sometimes, before last day of notification, you still have chance

Weil98
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Weil98 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:36 pm

HyperCar2022 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am
Weil98 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:39 am

Technically yes. Almost all universities released admissions time to time untill they got right number of students they want. Though you may not be notified as wl sometimes, before last day of notification, you still have chance
Ah I see. Thanks for replying!

watermelon117
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by watermelon117 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:03 pm

One of my references submitted the letters 3 to 6 weeks after most deadlines of mine and has still nine more places that he has not yet uploaded the letters. I have tried to find another reference and reached out to the programs I have applied to. I don't know. I felt suicidal during my winter break whenever I saw my empty inbox (no email notification of uploaded letters) and depressed from time to time this semester. Luckily I have gotten out of town and stayed with my quasi-family during this time and have slowly recovered to work and study again.

I just want to vent anonymously here. I don't want to bother my friends who care about me and are stressed by their own things rn (new work; applications; working on their dissertation; etc.); I don't want to talk to some other people I know from my department who enjoy being listened to but will only throw indifferent shit at me unrelated to my situation when it is not their struggles. Looking forward to moving to a different environment in grad school too and leaving all those egocentric immature snobs behind.

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by HyperCar2022 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm

watermelon117 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:03 pm
One of my references submitted the letters 3 to 6 weeks after most deadlines of mine and has still nine more places that he has not yet uploaded the letters. I have tried to find another reference and reached out to the programs I have applied to. I don't know. I felt suicidal during my winter break whenever I saw my empty inbox (no email notification of uploaded letters) and depressed from time to time this semester. Luckily I have gotten out of town and stayed with my quasi-family during this time and have slowly recovered to work and study again.

I just want to vent anonymously here. I don't want to bother my friends who care about me and are stressed by their own things rn (new work; applications; working on their dissertation; etc.); I don't want to talk to some other people I know from my department who enjoy being listened to but will only throw indifferent shit at me unrelated to my situation when it is not their struggles. Looking forward to moving to a different environment in grad school too and leaving all those egocentric immature snobs behind.
Hope you have good news soon. Take it easy and do sth fun. I think at this stage, there's few things we can do but wait

watermelon117
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by watermelon117 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:21 pm

HyperCar2022 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm
watermelon117 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:03 pm
One of my references submitted the letters 3 to 6 weeks after most deadlines of mine and has still nine more places that he has not yet uploaded the letters. I have tried to find another reference and reached out to the programs I have applied to. I don't know. I felt suicidal during my winter break whenever I saw my empty inbox (no email notification of uploaded letters) and depressed from time to time this semester. Luckily I have gotten out of town and stayed with my quasi-family during this time and have slowly recovered to work and study again.

I just want to vent anonymously here. I don't want to bother my friends who care about me and are stressed by their own things rn (new work; applications; working on their dissertation; etc.); I don't want to talk to some other people I know from my department who enjoy being listened to but will only throw indifferent shit at me unrelated to my situation when it is not their struggles. Looking forward to moving to a different environment in grad school too and leaving all those egocentric immature snobs behind.
Hope you have good news soon. Take it easy and do sth fun. I think at this stage, there's few things we can do but wait
Thank you! You too.

Scathrules
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by Scathrules » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 pm

Has anyone's application status for Rutgers been updated from "Application Pending" to "Application Review" (or anything similar to this message)? Mine still says pending and I never got an email back from the admissions office.

fakeName
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:03 pm

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by fakeName » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:06 pm

Scathrules wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 pm
Has anyone's application status for Rutgers been updated from "Application Pending" to "Application Review" (or anything similar to this message)? Mine still says pending and I never got an email back from the admissions office.
Hasn't changed for me yet. In the middle box it says "Application Pending: Check back soon for a decision on your application!," and the under review circle on the left is still locked (profile created through application submitted are checked). As far as I recall, it's been like this and has not changed.

YellowBee
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:09 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by YellowBee » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:06 pm

Scathrules wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 pm
Has anyone's application status for Rutgers been updated from "Application Pending" to "Application Review" (or anything similar to this message)? Mine still says pending and I never got an email back from the admissions office.
I checked and mine still says application submitted.

123t
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Re: Fall 2022 Sweat Thread

Post by 123t » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:24 pm

Why all schools are quiet these days? Too boring.



Post Reply