2022 REU Programs

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
{\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi}
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by {\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi} » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:44 pm

qpu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:39 pm
{\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi} wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:21 pm
qpu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:24 pm

SMALL NT & Prob (2nd shortlist, they are meeting about funding this week, then more offers will be sent out from the shortlist based on the results of this meeting) and SUMRY (rejected, no official letter, I emailed for my results)
How did you find out you made the shortlist?
Got an email on 2/4, he gave us the chance to write an optional supplemental essay due 2/9, was notified 2/11 that I was still on the shortlist (some people were dropped from the shortlist).
Thanks. I wonder if the CGDS project has a shortlist, or if Dr. Miller is waiting until after the funding meeting to do it.

icecheese
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by icecheese » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:30 pm

Hi! Does anyone have any idea of the level of competition for the following programs: Brown's ICERM, Tufts' VERSEIM-REU, Iowa State, UC Davis, and Baruch College? Those are my favorites, but I'm not sure what to expect. Also, anyone know when these programs will release decisions by? Iowa state said March 1st, but idrk what to expect

rrust19
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:47 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by rrust19 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:30 pm

I know someone who got accepted into Baruch's combinatorics on Tuesday so I am not sure if this is first wave or final decisions.

Kaleiss
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Kaleiss » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:06 pm

What a quiet day... We still don't have any news from UMN, Chicago, and Gatech, right?

raremeatsandcheeses
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by raremeatsandcheeses » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 pm

All Chicago acceptances are out.

maxo
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:09 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by maxo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 pm

jw how prestigious is the uchicago reu? is it a top reu program? also ive heard they take a lot of uchicago students but how many non uchicago students do they take

Kaleiss
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Kaleiss » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 pm

raremeatsandcheeses wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 pm
All Chicago acceptances are out.
That's hurt... How do you know that?

onewaystreet
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm

junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu experience in applied math.

SUMRY - officially rejected (2/17)
UChicago (first choice) - officially rejected (2/25)
UMich - accepted (2/28) I should probably mention here that a professor already agreed to do a project with me (not listed on the website), we just needed funding.
SMALL (CGDS) - officially rejected (3/2)
Fields - accepted (3/2)
Cornell SPUR (second choice) - rejected (3/7)
UCLA Amath - rejected (early april)
Carnegie Mellon SUAMI - rejected (early april)
RIPS - rejected (early april)

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!

For future readers: it seems like the REUs tend to reply very last minute as they can for rejected applicants. Some of them don't even communicate timely. This is very frustrating but sadly the reality. A watched pot won't boil, so it's not much help to be anxious about any of the results. I was checking this forum very anxiously in the first two weeks of February, but at some point I forced myself to not, which helped with anxiety. It also doesn't feel good to be rejected by all of the places, but honestly that is not a testament to our ability to do math/research at all. Sometimes it just doesn't fit right. Other times it is a blessing in disguise. To those who stumbled upon this post, I hope you know that I stand my statement of having faith in you—you've come this far!
Last edited by onewaystreet on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Yuqiao
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Yuqiao » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Kaleiss wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 pm
raremeatsandcheeses wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 pm
All Chicago acceptances are out.
That's hurt... How do you know that?
The way professor May phrases seems like he is sending to all accepted applicants.

imjonsnow362
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:49 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by imjonsnow362 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:01 am

onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

applied to:
Cornell SPUR
RIPS
UChicago - unofficially rejected
UMich
SMALL (CGDS) - unofficially rejected
Fields
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon
SUMRY - officially rejected

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
Anybody knows if UCLA RIPS 2022 results came out ?

onewaystreet
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by onewaystreet » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:57 am

imjonsnow362 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:01 am
onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

applied to:
Cornell SPUR
RIPS
UChicago - unofficially rejected
UMich
SMALL (CGDS) - unofficially rejected
Fields
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon
SUMRY - officially rejected

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
Anybody knows if UCLA RIPS 2022 results came out ?
I have not heard from them, and have not seen anyone post about them, but last year they sent out acceptances all throughout February and March.

imjonsnow362
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:49 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by imjonsnow362 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 am

onewaystreet wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:57 am
imjonsnow362 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:01 am
onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

applied to:
Cornell SPUR
RIPS
UChicago - unofficially rejected
UMich
SMALL (CGDS) - unofficially rejected
Fields
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon
SUMRY - officially rejected

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
Anybody knows if UCLA RIPS 2022 results came out ?
I have not heard from them, and have not seen anyone post about them, but last year they sent out acceptances all throughout February and March.
Thanks for the info
Let me know if you hear anything
Is it okay If I contact you in DM?

Yuqiao
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Yuqiao » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:03 am

Year: Junior
Institution: top 40 not well-known for math
GPA: 3.92 (major GPA: 4.0)
Major: Mathematics
Minors: None
Type of Student: Asian male with permanent resident
Research: Went to an REU last summer. We had two papers but no publications.
Coursework: (undergraduate) analysis, algebra, topology, etc. (graduate, including ones that I'm currently taking) algebra 1 & 2, measure theory, algebraic topology, differentiable manifolds, complex analysis, a topic class in number theory
Other: My letter writers include two professors with whom I've taken multiple courses, and another professor that was the supervisor for my project in the last REU. I think I have good letters. I am most interested in algebra and that's what I focused on in my statement of interest.

Applied to:

Baruch Unofficially Rejected. Emailed professor Sheffer. He says I'm on the waitlist and "it does not seem likely to make you an offer".
CSUSB
GVSU
SMALL Rejected
SUMRY Rejected
Texas A&M
U of Minn Duluth Rejected
U of Minn Twin Cities Waitlisted and Accepted 3/7 Declined offer 3/8
U of Virginia Unofficially Rejected
U of Chicago Accepted Accepted offer 3/5
Last edited by Yuqiao on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

{\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi}
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by {\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi} » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:41 am

onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

applied to:
Cornell SPUR
RIPS
UChicago - unofficially rejected
UMich
SMALL (CGDS) - unofficially rejected
Fields
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon
SUMRY - officially rejected

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
How did you find out you were rejected for CGDS, did you ask Dr. Miller?

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:57 pm

Looks like UChicago rejections were just sent out.

onewaystreet
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by onewaystreet » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:33 pm

{\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi} wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:41 am
onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

applied to:
Cornell SPUR
RIPS
UChicago - unofficially rejected
UMich
SMALL (CGDS) - unofficially rejected
Fields
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon
SUMRY - officially rejected

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
How did you find out you were rejected for CGDS, did you ask Dr. Miller?
No, but one of my friends heard back from them.

{\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi}
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by {\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi} » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:01 pm

onewaystreet wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:33 pm
{\bar{\Xi}}/{\Xi} wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:41 am
onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

applied to:
Cornell SPUR
RIPS
UChicago - unofficially rejected
UMich
SMALL (CGDS) - unofficially rejected
Fields
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon
SUMRY - officially rejected

Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
How did you find out you were rejected for CGDS, did you ask Dr. Miller?
No, but one of my friends heard back from them.
Ah, thank you. Couldn't you just be waitlisted? Does SMALL usually send acceptances in batches?

XD
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by XD » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:33 pm

For those who applied to Fields.
I know Fields provides 10 projects this year. Just out of curiosity, which is your favorite project? Also, anyone heard anything from them?

icecheese
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by icecheese » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:45 pm

rrust19 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:30 pm
I know someone who got accepted into Baruch's combinatorics on Tuesday so I am not sure if this is first wave or final decisions.
Which professor? Do you know if all offers are out?

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:01 am

XD wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:33 pm
For those who applied to Fields.
I know Fields provides 10 projects this year. Just out of curiosity, which is your favorite project? Also, anyone heard anything from them?
My top choice was Knot theory in 4D. What about you?

XD
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by XD » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:12 am

soyutcebir wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:01 am
XD wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:33 pm
For those who applied to Fields.
I know Fields provides 10 projects this year. Just out of curiosity, which is your favorite project? Also, anyone heard anything from them?
My top choice was Knot theory in 4D. What about you?
Mine is the diffusion in pipe one :)

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:59 pm

For those waiting to hear back from RIPS, I went ahead and emailed them asking about my application status. All applications are still in review and decisions should come back by the end of March.

aryand
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by aryand » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm

I wanted to email some programs to ask about decisions. VERY silly concern possibly, but is it possible that such emails might annoy a program director - who might reject me because of said annoyance?

Kaleiss
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Kaleiss » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:00 pm

AGrothendieck wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:56 am
Junior/non-graduating Senior, only studying Pure Math. Domestic student, white male, parents never went to college and barely speak English, so I am first-gen. VERY low GPA in undergrad courses (I had a really, really, really terrible time before I transferred) but much higher GPA in grad courses at my new school (but still not 4.0s). I went to a top LAC but then transferred to a top 30 public uni. Never been accepted into an REU program before, so this is my last chance.

I am mainly interested in number theory (especially analytic) and algebraic topology.

Applications:
THE ABSOLUTE DREAM!!! UVA applied January 17th
THE ABSOLUTE DREAM!!! UMich applied February 3rd accepted by email February 28th
UMich Dearborn applied February 4th
UCSB applied February 4th
UC Davis applied February 4th
GA Tech applied February 4th
UMN Twin Cities applied January 20th
DIMACS applied January 19th
Williams College SMALL (Number Theory & Probability) applied February 2nd rejected unofficially February 12th (didn't make the shortlist, verified with Prof. Miller)
Yale SUMRY applied January 30th didn't get an acceptance by February 16th, emailed Dr. Adelstein, was told I was rejected
Tufts VERSEIM applied January 31st
TAMU applied January 20th
CUNY Baruch College applied February 15th
Pomona PRiME applied February 5th
(not an REU anymore) UChicago applied February 9th rejected February 25th by mass-email
(not an REU) IAS PCMI applied January 20th


I started applications very early, back in November, because I am extremely, extremely serious about getting into REUs.
Congrats!

thatonenerd
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by thatonenerd » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Should I be concerned if I haven’t received word about interviews for the programs I applied for at this point? :? I submitted most mid-Feb.

AGrothendieck
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by AGrothendieck » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:44 pm

Kaleiss wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:00 pm
AGrothendieck wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:56 am
Junior/non-graduating Senior, only studying Pure Math. Domestic student, white male, parents never went to college and barely speak English, so I am first-gen. VERY low GPA in undergrad courses (I had a really, really, really terrible time before I transferred) but much higher GPA in grad courses at my new school (but still not 4.0s). I went to a top LAC but then transferred to a top 30 public uni. Never been accepted into an REU program before, so this is my last chance.

I am mainly interested in number theory (especially analytic) and algebraic topology.

Applications:
THE ABSOLUTE DREAM!!! UVA applied January 17th
THE ABSOLUTE DREAM!!! UMich applied February 3rd accepted by email February 28th
UMich Dearborn applied February 4th
UCSB applied February 4th
UC Davis applied February 4th
GA Tech applied February 4th
UMN Twin Cities applied January 20th
DIMACS applied January 19th
Williams College SMALL (Number Theory & Probability) applied February 2nd rejected unofficially February 12th (didn't make the shortlist, verified with Prof. Miller)
Yale SUMRY applied January 30th didn't get an acceptance by February 16th, emailed Dr. Adelstein, was told I was rejected
Tufts VERSEIM applied January 31st
TAMU applied January 20th
CUNY Baruch College applied February 15th
Pomona PRiME applied February 5th
(not an REU anymore) UChicago applied February 9th rejected February 25th by mass-email
(not an REU) IAS PCMI applied January 20th


I started applications very early, back in November, because I am extremely, extremely serious about getting into REUs.
Congrats!
Thank you very much!

tianyiwang
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by tianyiwang » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:13 am

Year: 2nd
Institution: top 30 public school
GPA: 3.89 (major GPA 4.0)
Major: Mathematics
Type of Student: Asian male, international, no permanent resident or citizenship
Coursework: (undergraduate) intro analysis, linear algebra, abstract algebra, differential geometry, algebraic geometry, complex analysis; (Graduate, including those that I am currently taking) measure theory/real analysis, groups and representations, commutative algebra, basic topology, homotopy theory.
Research: Did one applied math research project at some summer camp in high school, published a paper. Participated in REU (informally) at my home institution in my first year on differential geometry and Lie groups, had a report written but no publication.
Rec Letters: One is from a prof that I took two algebra classes with, and the other is my REU mentor in my freshman year.

Applied to:
SMALL rej
UChicago rej
UMich admit
UVirginia
Cornell
Minnesota

squishyboi
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:15 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by squishyboi » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:02 am

Are all UMich results out or are they still sending them?

imjonsnow362
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:49 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by imjonsnow362 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:08 am

qpu wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:59 pm
For those waiting to hear back from RIPS, I went ahead and emailed them asking about my application status. All applications are still in review and decisions should come back by the end of March.
Thanks for the update could you tell me anything about the selection procedure ?
If there are any interview rounds , Shortlist comes out in batches etc.?

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:55 am

imjonsnow362 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:08 am
qpu wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:59 pm
For those waiting to hear back from RIPS, I went ahead and emailed them asking about my application status. All applications are still in review and decisions should come back by the end of March.
Thanks for the update could you tell me anything about the selection procedure ?
If there are any interview rounds , Shortlist comes out in batches etc.?
No clue, I didn't push them about it since I only emailed to inquire about my application status.

honkhonkhonk
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by honkhonkhonk » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:57 pm

just made an acc for this since I am bad at making decisions and would really appreciate some advice, if anybody would be willing to offer any...

I'm a sophomore (junior in fall 2022) majoring in Math and probably also in CS. I just got accepted to an REU in cryptography at Clemson, and in addition to the one REU I also have an offer from a CS program open only to students from my home institution doing what more or less amounts to math research (social choice theory, so essentially discrete math/combinatorics/probability/game theory). I guess I was wondering if anyone knows if it would "look better" to have experience from a program at another school rather than sticking with programs at my home institution—especially since I did a similar math program at my home institution last summer—or if it doesn't really matter. (I am not sure if this is relevant, but my home institution is a pretty big-name private school.) Also, would grad schools take one of the research projects "more seriously" than the other? e.g. would cryptography be considered a "more serious" form of math research than theoretical CS? or is this all irrelevant?

aryand
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by aryand » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:19 pm

honkhonkhonk wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:57 pm
just made an acc for this since I am bad at making decisions and would really appreciate some advice, if anybody would be willing to offer any...

I'm a sophomore (junior in fall 2022) majoring in Math and probably also in CS. I just got accepted to an REU in cryptography at Clemson, and in addition to the one REU I also have an offer from a CS program open only to students from my home institution doing what more or less amounts to math research (social choice theory, so essentially discrete math/combinatorics/probability/game theory). I guess I was wondering if anyone knows if it would "look better" to have experience from a program at another school rather than sticking with programs at my home institution—especially since I did a similar math program at my home institution last summer—or if it doesn't really matter. (I am not sure if this is relevant, but my home institution is a pretty big-name private school.) Also, would grad schools take one of the research projects "more seriously" than the other? e.g. would cryptography be considered a "more serious" form of math research than theoretical CS? or is this all irrelevant?
I think it doesn't matter where you study - what matters more is its relation to what you ultimately want to do and apply to jobs/grad school for.

icecheese
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by icecheese » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:05 pm

Has anyone heard from Brown ICERM? They said they'd get back to us by mid feb/early march

ChiSquared
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:15 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by ChiSquared » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:33 pm

Year: Sophomore
School: Top LAC
GPA: 4.0
Major: Mathematics
Type of Student: White Male
Research: Nothing,
Coursework: (all undergrad 'cause LAC and I'm too lazy to take stuff elsewhere) Real analysis I-II, Algebra I, Alg. Geo 1, Multivariable, Diff Eq, Linear, Calculus
Recommendations: One I expect to be quite good (visiting professor, but I made a positive impression), and the other pretty good (Took two [zoom] classes, wasn't incredible).
Other: Ran my own house painting business. I don't know if that helps me, but I mentioned it in applications

Applied to where:
Williams SMALL (CGDS): Unofficial Rejection
SUMRY: unofficially rejected
UCLA IPAM:
Iowa State: rejected
Baruch:
Grand Valley (GVSU): Accepted, probably will attend
UVA (topology):
UMN:
University of Michigan Dearborn:
Texas A&M:
SUAMI:
VCU:
Auburn:
Texas State:
Towson:

A lot of these I just applied to as I started getting antsy, and there might be other unnofficial rejections I don't know about.

inhyak
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:59 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by inhyak » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 pm

Yuqiao wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:03 am
Year: Junior
Institution: top 40 not well-known for math
GPA: 3.92 (major GPA: 4.0)
Major: Mathematics
Minors: None
Type of Student: Asian male with permanent resident
Research: Went to an REU last summer. We had two papers but no publications.
Coursework: (undergraduate) analysis, algebra, topology, etc. (graduate, including ones that I'm currently taking) algebra 1 & 2, measure theory, algebraic topology, differentiable manifolds, complex analysis, a topic class in number theory
Other: My letter writers include two professors with whom I've taken multiple courses, and another professor that was the supervisor for my project in the last REU. I think I have good letters. I am most interested in algebra and that's what I focused on in my statement of interest.

Applied to:

Baruch Unofficially Rejected
CSUSB
GVSU
SMALL Rejected
SUMRY Rejected
Texas A&M
U of Minn Duluth Rejected
U of Minn Twin Cities
U of Virginia Unofficially Rejected
U of Chicago Accepted
How do you know unofficial rejection for Baruch?

Yuqiao
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Yuqiao » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 pm

inhyak wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 pm
Yuqiao wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:03 am
Year: Junior
Institution: top 40 not well-known for math
GPA: 3.92 (major GPA: 4.0)
Major: Mathematics
Minors: None
Type of Student: Asian male with permanent resident
Research: Went to an REU last summer. We had two papers but no publications.
Coursework: (undergraduate) analysis, algebra, topology, etc. (graduate, including ones that I'm currently taking) algebra 1 & 2, measure theory, algebraic topology, differentiable manifolds, complex analysis, a topic class in number theory
Other: My letter writers include two professors with whom I've taken multiple courses, and another professor that was the supervisor for my project in the last REU. I think I have good letters. I am most interested in algebra and that's what I focused on in my statement of interest.

Applied to:

Baruch Unofficially Rejected
CSUSB
GVSU
SMALL Rejected
SUMRY Rejected
Texas A&M
U of Minn Duluth Rejected
U of Minn Twin Cities
U of Virginia Unofficially Rejected
U of Chicago Accepted
How do you know unofficial rejection for Baruch?
Oh I emailed professor Sheffer and he says I'm on the waitlist and probably won't get it.

imjonsnow362
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:49 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by imjonsnow362 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:40 am

honkhonkhonk wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:57 pm
just made an acc for this since I am bad at making decisions and would really appreciate some advice, if anybody would be willing to offer any...

I'm a sophomore (junior in fall 2022) majoring in Math and probably also in CS. I just got accepted to an REU in cryptography at Clemson, and in addition to the one REU I also have an offer from a CS program open only to students from my home institution doing what more or less amounts to math research (social choice theory, so essentially discrete math/combinatorics/probability/game theory). I guess I was wondering if anyone knows if it would "look better" to have experience from a program at another school rather than sticking with programs at my home institution—especially since I did a similar math program at my home institution last summer—or if it doesn't really matter. (I am not sure if this is relevant, but my home institution is a pretty big-name private school.) Also, would grad schools take one of the research projects "more seriously" than the other? e.g. would cryptography be considered a "more serious" form of math research than theoretical CS? or is this all irrelevant?
Can you tell me if the whole shortlist for clemson is out ?
Or they release result in batches

honkhonkhonk
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by honkhonkhonk » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:34 am

aryand wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:19 pm
I think it doesn't matter where you study - what matters more is its relation to what you ultimately want to do and apply to jobs/grad school for.
Thanks for the perspective—this is very helpful.
imjonsnow362 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:40 am
Can you tell me if the whole shortlist for clemson is out ?
Or they release result in batches
I never heard anything about a shortlist from them, so I think the results are being released in batches as people accept/decline offers from the previous batches.

MathQueen
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:37 pm

I'm getting low-key nervous I won't get in anywhere. :/ Anyone else have a lot of anxiety about getting in?

Kaleiss
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Kaleiss » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:47 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:37 pm
I'm getting low-key nervous I won't get in anywhere. :/ Anyone else have a lot of anxiety about getting in?
Me too :-(

INeedToBurn
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by INeedToBurn » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm

Background: junior, 2 research experiences, no publication, a few presentations at conferences, mediocre college

GVSU [packing-edge coloring] - accepted
UC Davis [Lagrangian skeleta for Stein traces]- accepted
Texas A&M [number theory]- accepted & attending
U Texas Tyler [all groups] - accepted
Texas State [algebra] - accepted
Einstein Institute [algebra] - interviewed & accepted
RIT [Extremal Graph, I think?] interview declined
PRiME - rejected
SMALL - rejected
UM Dearborn - shortlisted & rejected
UMN - rejected

haven't heard back:

Yale
UMich
DIMCAS
CUNY Baruch
Last edited by INeedToBurn on Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:11 am, edited 13 times in total.

icecheese
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by icecheese » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:39 pm

Rip...UC Davis and Texas A&M are out? Which projects?

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

[Deleted]

Post by FixedPoint54 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:48 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by FixedPoint54 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

INeedToBurn
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by INeedToBurn » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:56 pm

FixedPoint54 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:48 pm
On that note, how is Texas A&M making offers this year? Are they delivering them all at once, in small batches, or individually?
From the wording of the email, it seems that the acceptance was only for the number theory project. And I'm sure they will send out more acceptances after March 8 after some of the first-round applicants have declined.

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:33 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:37 pm
I'm getting low-key nervous I won't get in anywhere. :/ Anyone else have a lot of anxiety about getting in?
You're not alone. Things started off good for me, got on the SMALL NT & Prob shortlist, but from what I’ve talked with Dr. Miller about, it doesn’t sound like I’ll be able to get a spot. Otherwise I haven’t heard a word from any program without emailing them for updates (all rejections). I’m down to only a couple REUs left and I don’t think I’ll get in :(

inhyak
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:59 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by inhyak » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:36 pm

INeedToBurn wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm
GVSU [packing-edge coloring] - accepted (declined)
UC Davis [Lagrangian skeleta for Stein traces]- accepted
Texas A&M [number theory]- accepted
PRiME - rejected
SMALL - rejected
Einstein Institute - interview scheduled
UM Dearborn - asked and was told on shortlist, first round will be sent out this week


haven't heard back:
Texas State
Yale
UMich
UMN
DIMCAS
CUNY Baruch
U Texas Tyler
Do you know if UC Davis are doing their acceptances in waves or is everything already finalized

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by FixedPoint54 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:17 pm

INeedToBurn wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:56 pm
FixedPoint54 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:48 pm
On that note, how is Texas A&M making offers this year? Are they delivering them all at once, in small batches, or individually?
From the wording of the email, it seems that the acceptance was only for the number theory project. And I'm sure they will send out more acceptances after March 8 after some of the first-round applicants have declined.
Thank you for the information. I've personally applied to the project on Algebraic Geometry, so I'm still holding onto hope. Otherwise, good luck with the remainder of your applications!

Happenstance
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:35 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Happenstance » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:51 pm

How many folks have been waitlisted by U Chicago? Dr. May said it was a "short" waitlist, but I am not sure what that looks like considering the size of the program.

Lan
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Lan » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:55 pm

Has anyone heard about ICERM, Virginia, or Minnesota Twin City? It's painful to wait without any news :(

kuz
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by kuz » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:31 am

Lan wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:55 pm
Has anyone heard about ICERM, Virginia, or Minnesota Twin City? It's painful to wait without any news :(
UVA number theory is already full. I don't know if UVA topology offers are out yet.



Post Reply