2022 REU Programs

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aryand
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by aryand » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:47 am

Anyone hear back from Baruch, ICERM, UMich, Harold Blackwell, SMALL CGDS, MIT SGI?

icecheese
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by icecheese » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:50 am

aryand wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:47 am
Anyone hear back from Baruch, ICERM, UMich, Harold Blackwell, SMALL CGDS, MIT SGI?
Apparently Baruch has sent out some offers. Also waiting on ICERM!

drifting_in_space
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:56 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by drifting_in_space » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:55 am

Hi friends, I'm looking for some advice in choosing an REU. I was incredibly fortunate to be accepted by both UChicago and UVa Topology, but I'm not sure which offer I should accept. The main difference seems to be that UChicago is more focused on exposition, whereas UVa is a traditional REU where you get to do research. But since this is my first time attending an REU, I'm not really sure what to expect. Does anyone who has experience with REUs have any insight or advice?

On an unrelated note, I just wanted to add that I really admire all the hard work that everyone has put in. I wish you all the best as the remainder of your decisions roll out! ^_^

juststephan
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by juststephan » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:48 am

Congrats on getting in! I guess it depends on your personal preference. Both are really great programs, so at the end of the day there is no wrong choice. If you are really torn about which one to choose you could consider things like: funding, location, program size, etc.

XD
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by XD » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:53 pm

For those who applied for Fields Institute, I know some (unofficial) offers are out this afternoon. :D

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:02 am

XD wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:53 pm
For those who applied for Fields Institute, I know some (unofficial) offers are out this afternoon. :D
Do you happen to know for which projects?

XD
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by XD » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:00 pm

soyutcebir wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:02 am
XD wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:53 pm
For those who applied for Fields Institute, I know some (unofficial) offers are out this afternoon. :D
Do you happen to know for which projects?
I'm not so sure, yet I assume they were just sending out the first batch of the offers for every project. If anyone happens to know more details, feel free to correct me.

econbro
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by econbro » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:27 pm

qpu wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:59 pm
For those waiting to hear back from RIPS, I went ahead and emailed them asking about my application status. All applications are still in review and decisions should come back by the end of March.
Thanks for poking them! Fingers crossed for this week or next 🤞🏼

imjonsnow362
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:49 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by imjonsnow362 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:31 am

econbro wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:27 pm
qpu wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:59 pm
For those waiting to hear back from RIPS, I went ahead and emailed them asking about my application status. All applications are still in review and decisions should come back by the end of March.
Thanks for poking them! Fingers crossed for this week or next 🤞🏼
Let me know if you get in
post it on this forum

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:20 am

physicsofcomica wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:56 am
Year: Third year
Institution: Well-known(ish) LAC
GPA: Top 10% of my class (for anonymity and since we have severe grade deflation)
Major: Mathematics
Type of Student: domestic white male
Research: One summer in experimental particle physics, paid, but no real production. One program similar to PolyMath, that was essentially an unpaid REU, a final report, unpublished. One NSF REU (with people on this thread considering it a top choice) with a publication, and submission to a top journal
Coursework: (all undergrad level) Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus, Discrete Structures, Algebraic Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, Topology, Real Analysis, Galois Theory, Discrete Geometry, Algebraic Topology, Independent Study on combinatorics, Algebraic Geometry, Commutative Algebra and Homological Algebra, and Real Functions and Measures (the last 3 were done “abroad” virtually)
Other: Worked as a tutor for all the classes I’ve taken, course assistant/grader for a sizable subset of those classes. I’ve also been a drop-in tutor, note taker, and lab TA for intro physics.

Applied:

Williams SMALL (knot theory): rejected
Yale SUMRY
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota Duluth: rejected :(
UChicago: rejected
Brown ICERM
Georgia Tech
Baruch (CUNY)
CSU SB
DIMACS
UMN Dynamics
Ithaca College
Fields Institute
Einstein Institute: accepted and attending
UCSB
UMN Combinatorics
Which project did you apply at Fields?

INeedToBurn
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by INeedToBurn » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 am

Anyone heard back from UMich Dearborn?

physicsofcomica
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:31 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by physicsofcomica » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:26 pm

soyutcebir wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:20 am
physicsofcomica wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:56 am
Year: Third year
Institution: Well-known(ish) LAC
GPA: Top 10% of my class (for anonymity and since we have severe grade deflation)
Major: Mathematics
Type of Student: domestic white male
Research: One summer in experimental particle physics, paid, but no real production. One program similar to PolyMath, that was essentially an unpaid REU, a final report, unpublished. One NSF REU (with people on this thread considering it a top choice) with a publication, and submission to a top journal
Coursework: (all undergrad level) Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus, Discrete Structures, Algebraic Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, Topology, Real Analysis, Galois Theory, Discrete Geometry, Algebraic Topology, Independent Study on combinatorics, Algebraic Geometry, Commutative Algebra and Homological Algebra, and Real Functions and Measures (the last 3 were done “abroad” virtually)
Other: Worked as a tutor for all the classes I’ve taken, course assistant/grader for a sizable subset of those classes. I’ve also been a drop-in tutor, note taker, and lab TA for intro physics.

Applied:

Williams SMALL (knot theory): rejected
Yale SUMRY
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota Duluth: rejected :(
UChicago: rejected
Brown ICERM
Georgia Tech: accepted
Baruch (CUNY)
CSU SB
DIMACS
UMN Dynamics
Ithaca College
Fields Institute
Einstein Institute: accepted and attending
UCSB
UMN Combinatorics
Which project did you apply at Fields?
I applied to the knot theory one, but I have yet to hear back.

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by FixedPoint54 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:25 pm

Out of curiosity, how common is it for REU programs to have an age requirement? I just got rejected from a program because I am under eighteen years old.

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:06 pm

Those who are waiting for Knot Theory in Four Dimensions at Fields. I sent them an email and was told that I was waitlisted. Apparently, the decisions were sent out on Friday but “not all the spots have been confirmed yet”.

MathQueen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:15 pm

Has anyone heard from the Tufts VERSEIM number theory project?

SquareHammer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:34 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by SquareHammer » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:39 pm

Has anyone heard anything back from DIMACS (Decisions, Decision Dates, Reply Email, etc.)?

Should I send them an email at this point? (This is my first time applying to REUs, still a little unsure how to proceed with stuff)

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm

Just got my official rejection from SMALL NT & Prob :(

Anyone heard back from PCMI, IPAM, TAMU, or OSU?

Kaleiss
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Kaleiss » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:49 pm

qpu wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm
Just got my official rejection from SMALL NT & Prob :(

Anyone heard back from PCMI, IPAM, TAMU, or OSU?
Has OSU stopped accepting applicants?

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:55 pm

Kaleiss wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:49 pm
qpu wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm
Just got my official rejection from SMALL NT & Prob :(

Anyone heard back from PCMI, IPAM, TAMU, or OSU?
Has OSU stopped accepting applicants?
Not sure what you mean by this. Applications were due 2/23 for the OSU REU.

MathQueen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:12 pm

qpu wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm
Just got my official rejection from SMALL NT & Prob :(
Huh. I didn't get anything from them. Was it a mass email?

qpu
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by qpu » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:15 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:12 pm
qpu wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm
Just got my official rejection from SMALL NT & Prob :(
Huh. I didn't get anything from them. Was it a mass email?
Not sure, I think it was everyone on the shortlist who wasn’t picked.

walker00
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:21 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by walker00 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:23 pm

FYI UVA topology decisions are out now.

walker00
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:21 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by walker00 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:24 pm

INeedToBurn wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 am
Anyone heard back from UMich Dearborn?
I emailed them inquiring about my app three days ago, and they said they sent out some offers but are not done reviewing and will let me know in a few days.

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by FixedPoint54 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:39 pm

Here are the programs/projects I've applied for. I'll update the list with any information I get so that others can use it as a reference.

Auburn - Rejected (very likely) (was told on 3/13 that spots were nearly filled)
Kansas State (Sumar) - Withdrawn
Indiana (Game Theory Project)- Withdrawn
Texas A&M (Algebraic Geometry Project) - Accepted and Planning to Attend.
Texas State (Algebra Project) - Rejected (confirmed by email on 3/10) (decisions for algebra and combinatorics have been finalized).
Texas at Tyler (Inverse Semigroups Project) - Rejected (very likely) (was told on 3/14 that spots were nearly filled)
Connecticut - Withdrawn (I may have been a shortlist candidate, based on their reply email)
Towson - Withdrawn (I may have been a candidate in the running, based on their reply email)
Michigan State (SURIEM) - Rejected (due to age requirement) (first round of acceptances have been sent)
Last edited by FixedPoint54 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Falcelmo
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Falcelmo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:02 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:12 pm
qpu wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm
Just got my official rejection from SMALL NT & Prob :(
Huh. I didn't get anything from them. Was it a mass email?
I also didn’t receive anything about a rejection either. But also I was never notified about being on the short list so I am confused since I assume I probably should have been rejected already. Edit: I was rejected after sending an email to ask.

MathQueen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 am

I saw on Reddit someone got into the spectral graph theory project for Tufts, has anyone heard back from the number theory project for Tufts? I'm considering emailing them, but I'm not sure if that's the right move.

Kaleiss
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Kaleiss » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:55 pm

onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

heard back:
SUMRY - officially rejected (2/17)
UChicago (first choice) - officially rejected (2/25)
UMich - accepted (2/28) - probably will decline
SMALL (CGDS) - officially rejected (3/2)
Fields - accepted (3/2) - project in NLP, probably will accept
Cornell SPUR (second choice) - rejected (3/7)

no decision:
RIPS - emailed, said will contact end of March

no word at all:
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon SUAMI


Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
Could I ask how do you know that you are rejected by Cornell?

squishyboi
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:15 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by squishyboi » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:03 pm

I emailed UMich, decisions are still being sent out until the end of March

onewaystreet
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Kaleiss wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:55 pm
onewaystreet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
junior at big school, international woman. average stats and average recs. reu last summer in applied math.

heard back:
SUMRY - officially rejected (2/17)
UChicago (first choice) - officially rejected (2/25)
UMich - accepted (2/28) - probably will decline
SMALL (CGDS) - officially rejected (3/2)
Fields - accepted (3/2) - project in NLP, probably will accept
Cornell SPUR (second choice) - rejected (3/7)

no decision:
RIPS - emailed, said will contact end of March

no word at all:
UCLA Amath
Carnegie Mellon SUAMI


Wanted to send some good energy to everyone seeing this post. You have all accomplished so, so much just by applying to these amazing programs, and having faith in yourselves. Math is hard and we all know it. You stuck it out and made it here. I fully admire your mathematical zeal, and am extremely proud of you. Here's to more goodness to come!
Could I ask how do you know that you are rejected by Cornell?
I emailed the program that I applied to.

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by FixedPoint54 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:16 pm

If anyone is applying to the Texas State program, the algebra and combinatorics teams have been closed. I've confirmed this by email with Dr. Yang. There are a few pending offers left for the statistics team.

Ynmiau
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:31 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Ynmiau » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:43 pm

Background: 2nd year. European top institution. Finishing bachelor in 2 years (3-year program) with grade ~95% (don’t know how to convert, department average ~75%).

Course: bachelor core course (analysis, linalg, complex analysis, basic pde, measure etc), advanced courses: Algebraic topology, Commutative algebra, differential geometry, probability theory. Taking some other relevant lectures, didn’t appear on transcript but wrote in letter.

Others: No reu experience. Two recommendation letters, probably both strong.

Application:

HUJI Einstein Institute Accepted and attending

md12345
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:00 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by md12345 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 am
I saw on Reddit someone got into the spectral graph theory project for Tufts, has anyone heard back from the number theory project for Tufts? I'm considering emailing them, but I'm not sure if that's the right move.
I emailed them asking about the number theory project and they said they have only released a small number of acceptances and plan on releasing more at the end of this week and early next week. Hope this helps and good luck!

MathQueen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:15 pm

md12345 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 pm
MathQueen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 am
I saw on Reddit someone got into the spectral graph theory project for Tufts, has anyone heard back from the number theory project for Tufts? I'm considering emailing them, but I'm not sure if that's the right move.
I emailed them asking about the number theory project and they said they have only released a small number of acceptances and plan on releasing more at the end of this week and early next week. Hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you for the information!! Fingers crossed!

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:07 am

Ynmiau wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:43 pm
Background: 2nd year. European top institution. Finishing bachelor in 2 years (3-year program) with grade ~95% (don’t know how to convert, department average ~75%).

Course: bachelor core course (analysis, linalg, complex analysis, basic pde, measure etc), advanced courses: Algebraic topology, Commutative algebra, differential geometry, probability theory. Taking some other relevant lectures, didn’t appear on transcript but wrote in letter.

Others: No reu experience. Two recommendation letters, probably both strong.

Application:

HUJI Einstein Institute Accepted and attending
Do you know when is the deadline to accept offers for Einstein Institute?

Ynmiau
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:31 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Ynmiau » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:07 am

soyutcebir wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:07 am
Ynmiau wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:43 pm
Background: 2nd year. European top institution. Finishing bachelor in 2 years (3-year program) with grade ~95% (don’t know how to convert, department average ~75%).

Course: bachelor core course (analysis, linalg, complex analysis, basic pde, measure etc), advanced courses: Algebraic topology, Commutative algebra, differential geometry, probability theory. Taking some other relevant lectures, didn’t appear on transcript but wrote in letter.

Others: No reu experience. Two recommendation letters, probably both strong.

Application:

HUJI Einstein Institute Accepted and attending
Do you know when is the deadline to accept offers for Einstein Institute?
They didn’t mention explicitly. Also I don’t quite understand how it works, literally no one does REU in Europe. Is there a waitlist or something?

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 am

Ynmiau wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:07 am
soyutcebir wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:07 am
Ynmiau wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:43 pm
Background: 2nd year. European top institution. Finishing bachelor in 2 years (3-year program) with grade ~95% (don’t know how to convert, department average ~75%).

Course: bachelor core course (analysis, linalg, complex analysis, basic pde, measure etc), advanced courses: Algebraic topology, Commutative algebra, differential geometry, probability theory. Taking some other relevant lectures, didn’t appear on transcript but wrote in letter.

Others: No reu experience. Two recommendation letters, probably both strong.

Application:

HUJI Einstein Institute Accepted and attending
Do you know when is the deadline to accept offers for Einstein Institute?
They didn’t mention explicitly. Also I don’t quite understand how it works, literally no one does REU in Europe. Is there a waitlist or something?
I haven't applied to the project so I don't know if there is a waitlist. When exactly did you apply, if I may ask?

Ynmiau
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:31 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by Ynmiau » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:30 am

soyutcebir wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 am
Ynmiau wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:07 am
soyutcebir wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:07 am


Do you know when is the deadline to accept offers for Einstein Institute?
They didn’t mention explicitly. Also I don’t quite understand how it works, literally no one does REU in Europe. Is there a waitlist or something?
I haven't applied to the project so I don't know if there is a waitlist. When exactly did you apply, if I may ask?
I submitted my material on 9. Feb, around a week before deadline. One of my LoR was submitted about a week late.

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by FixedPoint54 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:55 pm

FixedPoint54 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:39 pm
Here are the programs/projects I've applied for. I'll update the list with any information I get so that others can use it as a reference.

Auburn - Waiting
Kansas State (Sumar) - Waiting
Indiana (Game Theory Project)- Waiting
Texas A&M (Algebraic Geometry Project) - Waiting
Texas State (Algebra Project) - Rejected (confirmed by email on 3/10) (decisions for algebra and combinatorics have been finalized).
Texas at Tyler (Inverse Semigroups Project) - Waiting
Connecticut - Waiting
Towson - Waiting
Michigan State (SURIEM) - Rejected (due to age requirement) (first round of acceptances have been sent)
Has anyone heard anything from the rest of these programs? I want to know whether I have been unofficially rejected or waitlisted by any of these programs. I’m considering applying to additional programs with deadlines later this month (University of Alabama, Fairmont State, etc.)

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:50 pm

INeedToBurn wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm
GVSU [packing-edge coloring] - accepted (declined)
UC Davis [Lagrangian skeleta for Stein traces]- accepted (declined)
Texas A&M [number theory]- accepted
U Texas Tyler [all groups] - accepted
Texas State [algebra] accepted
PRiME - rejected
SMALL - rejected
Einstein Institute - interviewed
UM Dearborn - asked and was told on shortlist, first round will be sent out this week


haven't heard back:

Yale
UMich
UMN
DIMCAS
CUNY Baruch
May I ask what year you are?

43hausdorff
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:09 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by 43hausdorff » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:15 pm

Anyone hear back from Ithaca College Dynamical Systems? Or does anyone who applied in previous years remember when they heard back?

edupl1810
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:29 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by edupl1810 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:31 am

Anyone heard from PCMI?

econbro
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by econbro » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:41 pm

...so who wants to email rips@ipam.ucla & ask? :roll:

MathQueen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:46 pm

econbro wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:41 pm
...so who wants to email rips@ipam.ucla & ask? :roll:
I already did, I'll post when I get a response back!

MathQueen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by MathQueen » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:16 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:46 pm
econbro wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:41 pm
...so who wants to email rips@ipam.ucla & ask? :roll:
I already did, I'll post when I get a response back!
Ok, so I got a response back. I had asked my likelihood of getting in since I have a short response deadline for another REU, and they said they would have a decision for me by Wednesday. I'm not sure if they're releasing official decisions then, or just following back up with me. Also, I think there's a bug with mathprograms.org because I was looking over my app and I noticed the buttons to rank 1-4 your knowledge in programming languages was unclicked, so I filled that out again and updated my app and the confirmation page looked fine. Went back to the status page to look at the application, and the buttons were unclicked again. Oh well.

FixedPoint54
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by FixedPoint54 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:36 pm

FixedPoint54 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:39 pm
Here are the programs/projects I've applied for. I'll update the list with any information I get so that others can use it as a reference.

Auburn - Waiting
Kansas State (Sumar) - Waiting
Indiana (Game Theory Project)- Waiting
Texas A&M (Algebraic Geometry Project) - Accepted! (confirmed by email on 3/14)
Texas State (Algebra Project) - Rejected (confirmed by email on 3/10) (decisions for algebra and combinatorics have been finalized).
Texas at Tyler (Inverse Semigroups Project) - Rejected (very likely) (was told on 3/14 that spots were effectively filled)
Connecticut - Waiting
Towson - Waiting
Michigan State (SURIEM) - Rejected (due to age requirement) (first round of acceptances have been sent)
I just got accepted into the Texas A&M program. For anyone else applying to the Algebraic Geometry project, there are two spots remaining in total. I'm excited about the program and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it.

I was also rejected from the University of Texas at Tyler program. In an email, Dr. Milan mentioned that spots were nearly filled and that he was waiting on a few pending offers.
Last edited by FixedPoint54 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

econbro
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by econbro » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm

MathQueen wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:16 pm
MathQueen wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:46 pm
econbro wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:41 pm
...so who wants to email rips@ipam.ucla & ask? :roll:
I already did, I'll post when I get a response back!
Ok, so I got a response back. I had asked my likelihood of getting in since I have a short response deadline for another REU, and they said they would have a decision for me by Wednesday. I'm not sure if they're releasing official decisions then, or just following back up with me. Also, I think there's a bug with mathprograms.org because I was looking over my app and I noticed the buttons to rank 1-4 your knowledge in programming languages was unclicked, so I filled that out again and updated my app and the confirmation page looked fine. Went back to the status page to look at the application, and the buttons were unclicked again. Oh well.

Wow! Thanks for emailing! Here's to hoping that's Wednesday for everybody 🤞🏼

Also, i noticed the same bug. I confirmed multiple times, but those buttons would not stick.

physicsofcomica
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:31 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by physicsofcomica » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:59 pm

43hausdorff wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:15 pm
Anyone hear back from Ithaca College Dynamical Systems? Or does anyone who applied in previous years remember when they heard back?
Last year I was accepted March 11th but turned it down. They wanted a reply by March 18th.

soyutcebir
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by soyutcebir » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:55 am

MIT SGI said they would send out decision by "mid-March". Has anyone received anything? The ones who applied last year, did they send rejections too?

Also, any word from IST Austria?

username2140
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 am

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by username2140 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pm

One of my friends was just rejected from an MIT REU today, but I don’t remember if it was MIT SGI

XD
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Re: 2022 REU Programs

Post by XD » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:07 pm

soyutcebir wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:55 am
MIT SGI said they would send out decision by "mid-March". Has anyone received anything? The ones who applied last year, did they send rejections too?

Also, any word from IST Austria?
For MIT SGI, the results were just out. Probably they have a waitlist.



Post Reply