Duke pure math update

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:09 pm

I consulted a professor at Duke and he confirmed specific applicants have been invited for interviews, so for applicants not receiving invitations, like me, the condition could be bad.
Last edited by HyperCar2022 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

username2140
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by username2140 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:23 pm

I am in the same boat. I mean it happens, Duke is a very competitive program. Do you know if Duke does all of their invitations at once, or do they do more if the first round people do not accept the offer?

rubikscube09
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by rubikscube09 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 pm

Would like to add a point of confirmation (really not trying to brag) that I received an interview invite.

olyoly
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:48 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by olyoly » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm

Does anyone know whether this applies to applied math candidates?

Thanks

dumpling
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by dumpling » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm

olyoly wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm
Does anyone know whether this applies to applied math candidates?

Thanks
I think this should be the same since it's the same department. I do Applied Math and don't get interview as well.

hopium
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by hopium » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 pm

dumpling wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm
olyoly wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm
Does anyone know whether this applies to applied math candidates?

Thanks
I think this should be the same since it's the same department. I do Applied Math and don't get interview as well.
I also indicated my research interest as applied and no interview.

123t
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by 123t » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:22 pm

Have you completed your interview?
How many applicants were invited for an interview?

4rr0ws99
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by 4rr0ws99 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm

123t wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:22 pm
Have you completed your interview?
How many applicants were invited for an interview?
They sent me a link to confirm the interview time but they haven't gotten back to me.

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:49 am

username2140 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:23 pm
I am in the same boat. I mean it happens, Duke is a very competitive program. Do you know if Duke does all of their invitations at once, or do they do more if the first round people do not accept the offer?
I think some more invitations may be sent but not many

username2140
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by username2140 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:50 am

Typically Duke ends up admitting about ~30 students total, and yield around ~10 students each year (see https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/stati ... statistics). My guess is they send them out to first round candidates, see how many will accept offers, etc. But I do not know their actual process; it could be that they may invite most/all of the admitted students around this time, in which case I suppose we are out of luck.

oohlala
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:40 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by oohlala » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 pm

hopium wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 pm
dumpling wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm
olyoly wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm
Does anyone know whether this applies to applied math candidates?

Thanks
I think this should be the same since it's the same department. I do Applied Math and don't get interview as well.
I also indicated my research interest as applied and no interview.
My research interest was applied too. Hoping for the best- fingers crossed!

IntelligentDragon
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:40 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by IntelligentDragon » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:41 pm

oohlala wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 pm
hopium wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 pm
dumpling wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm


I think this should be the same since it's the same department. I do Applied Math and don't get interview as well.
I also indicated my research interest as applied and no interview.
My research interest was applied too. Hoping for the best- fingers crossed!
Someone on the gradadmissions subreddit got an interview to Duke and her research interest was applied. I think we are doomed :(

oohlala
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:40 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by oohlala » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm

IntelligentDragon wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:41 pm
oohlala wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 pm
hopium wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 pm


I also indicated my research interest as applied and no interview.
My research interest was applied too. Hoping for the best- fingers crossed!
Someone on the gradadmissions subreddit got an interview to Duke and her research interest was applied. I think we are doomed :(
Okayyyy panic panic panic panic ARGH.

hopium
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by hopium » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:44 pm

oohlala wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm
IntelligentDragon wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:41 pm
oohlala wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 pm


My research interest was applied too. Hoping for the best- fingers crossed!
Someone on the gradadmissions subreddit got an interview to Duke and her research interest was applied. I think we are doomed :(
Okayyyy panic panic panic panic ARGH.
I provided a 5 min supplemental video talking about my research in the application but the video view count didn't increase. Maybe they are still reviewing the applications or they just didn't bother to watch the video.

pedrerol1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:37 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by pedrerol1 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 pm

hopium wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:44 pm
oohlala wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm
IntelligentDragon wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:41 pm


Someone on the gradadmissions subreddit got an interview to Duke and her research interest was applied. I think we are doomed :(
Okayyyy panic panic panic panic ARGH.
I provided a 5 min supplemental video talking about my research in the application but the video view count didn't increase. Maybe they are still reviewing the applications or they just didn't bother to watch the video.
I think it is possible that they are still reviewing, this forum is to anxious

Madhapiness123
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by Madhapiness123 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 am

For those who have applied to Duke, on the “Application Details ” section do you see “Admit term: 2022 Fall Term” ? My term is different and I’m worried that I filled something wrong in the application.

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:13 pm

Madhapiness123 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 am
For those who have applied to Duke, on the “Application Details ” section do you see “Admit term: 2022 Fall Term” ? My term is different and I’m worried that I filled something wrong in the application.
Yes

S Sundara Narasimhan
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:55 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by S Sundara Narasimhan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:41 pm

Madhapiness123 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 am
For those who have applied to Duke, on the “Application Details ” section do you see “Admit term: 2022 Fall Term” ? My term is different and I’m worried that I filled something wrong in the application.
Yes.

123t
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by 123t » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 am

Is there any info about when they will give offers?

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm

123t wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 am
Is there any info about when they will give offers?
I think the earliest formal decision for everyone should be in February

Decoder
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by Decoder » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am

I have an interview with Duke tomorrow, but my concentration is applied math. I received my invitation on Jan 15th and they finalized the meeting time on Jan 19th. Hope that helps you.

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:33 am

Decoder wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am
I have an interview with Duke tomorrow, but my concentration is applied math. I received my invitation on Jan 15th and they finalized the meeting time on Jan 19th. Hope that helps you.
Thank you for sharing. It seems Duke wants only few students in my area so it's fine for me anyway. Good luck!

S Sundara Narasimhan
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:55 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by S Sundara Narasimhan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am

Decoder wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am
I have an interview with Duke tomorrow, but my concentration is applied math. I received my invitation on Jan 15th and they finalized the meeting time on Jan 19th. Hope that helps you.
So, can you let us know what was asked in the interview?
Was it mainly subject related or were they trying to sense your preferences?
I am interested in pure mathematics, but still I thought it might help to know these things.

Decoder
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by Decoder » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am

S Sundara Narasimhan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am
Decoder wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am
I have an interview with Duke tomorrow, but my concentration is applied math. I received my invitation on Jan 15th and they finalized the meeting time on Jan 19th. Hope that helps you.
So, can you let us know what was asked in the interview?
Was it mainly subject related or were they trying to sense your preferences?
I am interested in pure mathematics, but still I thought it might help to know these things.
I just finished the interview in a few seconds. Basically, they just asked some 'template' questions, like why PhD.

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:58 pm

Decoder wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am
S Sundara Narasimhan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am
Decoder wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am
I have an interview with Duke tomorrow, but my concentration is applied math. I received my invitation on Jan 15th and they finalized the meeting time on Jan 19th. Hope that helps you.
So, can you let us know what was asked in the interview?
Was it mainly subject related or were they trying to sense your preferences?
I am interested in pure mathematics, but still I thought it might help to know these things.
I just finished the interview in a few seconds. Basically, they just asked some 'template' questions, like why PhD.
Good luck. Did interviwer tell you decision date?

S Sundara Narasimhan
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:55 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by S Sundara Narasimhan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:04 pm

Decoder wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am
S Sundara Narasimhan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am
Decoder wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am
I have an interview with Duke tomorrow, but my concentration is applied math. I received my invitation on Jan 15th and they finalized the meeting time on Jan 19th. Hope that helps you.
So, can you let us know what was asked in the interview?
Was it mainly subject related or were they trying to sense your preferences?
I am interested in pure mathematics, but still I thought it might help to know these things.
I just finished the interview in a few seconds. Basically, they just asked some 'template' questions, like why PhD.
Is this interview an offer of admission or is it just a way for them to sense our pulse.

lunaslicetheorem
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by lunaslicetheorem » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:55 pm

HyperCar2022 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:58 pm
Decoder wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am
S Sundara Narasimhan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am


So, can you let us know what was asked in the interview?
Was it mainly subject related or were they trying to sense your preferences?
I am interested in pure mathematics, but still I thought it might help to know these things.
I just finished the interview in a few seconds. Basically, they just asked some 'template' questions, like why PhD.
Good luck. Did interviwer tell you decision date?
I was told rolling offers starting mid-February.

NumberField
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by NumberField » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:55 pm

Just got an interview invitation!

For those who had finished the interview, would you mind sharing a little bit about it? Like are the questions research based or some general type? (Would be better if you could remember some!) Are the interviewer the faculties you mentioned in the application system or from the chair? And any other information will help me a lot!!!!!!!!

Also, I wish all the best for all of us, whether or not you have got an response, there's always hope before the deadline!

lunaslicetheorem
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by lunaslicetheorem » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:35 pm

NumberField wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:55 pm
Just got an interview invitation!

For those who had finished the interview, would you mind sharing a little bit about it? Like are the questions research based or some general type? (Would be better if you could remember some!) Are the interviewer the faculties you mentioned in the application system or from the chair? And any other information will help me a lot!!!!!!!!

Also, I wish all the best for all of us, whether or not you have got an response, there's always hope before the deadline!
It looks like it probably varies. A previous poster had said they just got general questions, but in my interview we discussed my current research for most of the time. Best of luck with your interview.

dumpling
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by dumpling » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm

I still haven't got the interview invitation. Is the invitation required for admission?

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 pm

dumpling wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm
I still haven't got the interview invitation. Is the invitation required for admission?
The point is that if they want us, they will naturally interview us as interview is an option

NumberField
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by NumberField » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:42 pm

lunaslicetheorem wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:35 pm
NumberField wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:55 pm
Just got an interview invitation!

For those who had finished the interview, would you mind sharing a little bit about it? Like are the questions research based or some general type? (Would be better if you could remember some!) Are the interviewer the faculties you mentioned in the application system or from the chair? And any other information will help me a lot!!!!!!!!

Also, I wish all the best for all of us, whether or not you have got an response, there's always hope before the deadline!
It looks like it probably varies. A previous poster had said they just got general questions, but in my interview we discussed my current research for most of the time. Best of luck with your interview.
Thanks for your information!

I just finished mine. For possible future reference, the interview is very "soft" and casual. There are mixed up with general questions and mathematical ones (not too techinal at all). Even saying this, I wouldn't say I have answered each question as perfect as I can.

123t
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by 123t » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:56 pm

Anyone heard back? I saw the post on Gradcafe, is that true?

HyperCar2022
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Re: Duke pure math update

Post by HyperCar2022 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:14 pm

123t wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:56 pm
Anyone heard back? I saw the post on Gradcafe, is that true?
No idea. However, if someone rejected after interview, the situation for no-interview applicants might be even worse.



Post Reply