How do you compare Berkeley and UCLA?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
123t

How do you compare Berkeley and UCLA?

Post by 123t » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:38 am

For those whose interests in PDEs, which one is better?
I think Berkeley has professors in diverse specific fields in PDEs, but I heard that life in UCLA would be safe and sound.
I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

4rr0ws99

Re: How do you compare Berkeley and UCLA?

Post by 4rr0ws99 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:34 pm

I think it kinda depends on what PDE you’re interested in. For example I like geometric PDE and I don’t think UCLA has any faculty in that area.

wpdemath

Post by wpdemath » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:03 am

It depends on your research interest. Both universities have strong power in PDEs.

One possible comparison is the following: dispersive equations.

I would say that if you are interested in geometric dispersive equations(Prof. Tataru and Prof. Oh), then Berkeley would be the best choice. However, if you are interested in dispersive equations that mainly focus on low regularity problems or conservation laws(Prof. Visan and Prof. Tao), then UCLA would be the best choice (as you might know, Prof. Tao is an all-rounder researcher...)

Although I didn't mention other research branches, these universities have their special faculties in analysis. In addition, these universities have substantial power in computational mathematics.
Last edited by wpdemath on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

123t

Post by 123t » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:40 am

wpdemath wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:03 am
It depends on your research interest. Both universities have strong power in PDEs.

One possible comparison is the following: dispersive equations.

I would say that if you are interested in geometric dispersive equations(Prof. Tataru and Prof. Oh), then Berkeley would be the best choice. However, if you are interested in dispersive equations that mainly focus on low regularity problems or conservation laws(Prof. Visan and Prof. Tao), then UCLA would be the best choice (as you might know, Prof. Tao is an all-rounder researcher...)

Although I didn't mention other research branches, these universities have their own special faculties in analysis. In addition, these universities have strong power in computational mathematics.
Thanks! Actually, I haven't decided the specific interests yet, but I think Prof. Oh is a rising star, am I right?
And do you know whether Prof. Tao still advise students these years?

wpdemath

Post by wpdemath » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:35 am

Since I am not a student of Berkeley and UCLA, it is hard to determine whether they accept Ph. D. students.
See private messages.