What to do about a faker?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
phdhopeful

What to do about a faker?

Post by phdhopeful » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:33 pm

I know someone who can't even do integrals correctly but was accepted to multiple top pure math programs. I know because we had to work on a project together. More precisely, the project was completed by the rest of us while the load did nothing but participate in the credit. We alerted the professor but the prof still wrote they a rec! And I can't figure out why. Seriously, I never saw a person who could talk so big and do so little. How is it possible that schools didn't see though the bluff? Why were professors willing to recommend a scam? I wish there was a way to let schools know. I wish the grad schools that gave admittances demanded a basic calculus test as a term of admission. I know so many serious mathematicians who haven't gotten in anywhere and this show boat has multiple offers. I am upset about the admission process that can be fooled by ballooned paper claims.

deviant_lime

Re: What to do about a faker?

Post by deviant_lime » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:37 pm

phdhopeful wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:33 pm
I know someone who can't even do integrals correctly but was accepted to multiple top pure math programs. I know because we had to work on a project together. More precisely, the project was completed by the rest of us while the load did nothing but participate in the credit. We alerted the professor but the prof still wrote they a rec! And I can't figure out why. Seriously, I never saw a person who could talk so big and do so little. How is it possible that schools didn't see though the bluff? Why were professors willing to recommend a scam? I wish there was a way to let schools know. I wish the grad schools that gave admittances demanded a basic calculus test as a term of admission. I know so many serious mathematicians who haven't gotten in anywhere and this show boat has multiple offers. I am upset about the admission process that can be fooled by ballooned paper claims.
Calculus isn't a good indicator of research potential. Even before covid, many programs were moving towards getting rid of the math GRE. It's possible that this person is just rusty at calculus and is strong in other areas. It definitely isn't fair that they didn't do their fair share of the project, but it's also not fair to say that they don't have other redeeming qualities (like a successful research project or success in different courses) that could have shown through on their app.

phdhopeful

Post by phdhopeful » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:47 pm

Good points, deviant lime. However, having worked with this person, I know that they freeloaded through college. They was a master at tagging along on projects that they did not have the skills to contribute to. That's the way they got research credit.

jalgebra

Post by jalgebra » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:15 pm

What tier of PhD programs did this person get into? Trust me it will catch up to this person eventually if they cheated.

defen

Post by defen » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 pm

They'll get eaten alive on prelims/quals.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:48 pm

defen wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 pm
They'll get eaten alive on prelims/quals.
I've heard some schools are temporarily offering take-home quals due to covid19.
So I can imagine this is a golden opportunity for alleged fakers to get thru this hurdle.

Ri_mann_zeta

Post by Ri_mann_zeta » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:56 am

I'm curious, how did they maintain a good enough GPA to get into ANY grad program?