Getting Over Rejections

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mbrane

Getting Over Rejections

Post by mbrane » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:20 pm

This is my third time applying to graduate schools and there is a very real possibility that I will get no acceptances given that I have no safeties and having no original research, even after 3 years of graduate studies. There are unfortunately no safeties that have trans affirming healthcare and mathematical string theory research. I feel I will never get to do the research I love. I don't know if I'll have the energy to continue with my mismatched program and much less to apply to all these schools (and probably more) a fourth time. All I can think about is those rejections and it's interfering with my life. I've got classes to teach and a thesis to write but I feel sick with worry all the time. How do you get over rejections?

deviant_lime

Re: Getting Over Rejections

Post by deviant_lime » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:38 pm

After I submitted all my applications, I started to worry about what would happen if I got rejected everywhere. What helped me deal with this fear, was starting a plan for my life if that did happen. I started looking at jobs that I might have liked and worked on a resume tailored for jobs outside of grad school/academia. I ended up not submitting any job applications as I got into a school, but if I had not heard from any I would have sent out applications soon.

This isn't to say that you won't get in, I really hope you get an acceptance soon. But it might ease your worry if you feel prepared for whatever the future holds.

ijustwanttodomath

Post by ijustwanttodomath » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:17 pm

I ended up applying to PhD programs after struggling to find a full-time job (ended up getting offered one a month after submitting my applications though... how serendipitous lol). What makes you say you have no original research?? If you're writing a thesis, that's likely the culmination of some research-related endeavor! Write about things like that in your applications and if you get reached out for an interview, discuss that!

In terms of actually getting over rejections, you kind of just have to force yourself to accept that after hitting submit, it isn't something in your hands anymore. Do whatever you need to do to help you accept that it happened and give yourself permission to move on from it.

I agree with deviant_lime in having back-up plans if you aren't successful... are there jobs that you're interested in that don't require the advanced degree? Prepare yourself to apply to those, and maybe even just start sending some applications early on if you're worried (for reference... I didn't start applying for jobs until after I graduated, and it took me 7 months to find a full-time job that wasn't a huge rip-off).

mbrane

Post by mbrane » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:30 am

I'll have a master's this semester so at least I can do adjunct work. There are plenty of universities hiring in town. But I did just get news today that my university is unlikely to extend my assistantship because they fully expect me to get intoat least one other university and go there. My thesis advisor even said all but 4 of the 14 schools I'm applying to are 'safeties' for me. If the department thinks this highly of me then surely their rec letters will help me get into somewhere lol.

username2140

Post by username2140 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:47 am

I mean ultimately it just seems quite hard to predict. I know for myself I had gotten 7 rejections before I had any positive news. I mean so many of these departments have hundreds of applications, which of course makes it very hard to make a class of just 10 (or up to 25 for larger departments) students. Also, the way some departments deal with this is by rejecting students they don’t feel they can actually get to come to the department (because they think they would likely get a better offer). Basically I think it is a bit to early for you to worry (though tbh, I was the same way just a few days ago, so I do not blame you). In any case, I am hoping that you receive some good news soon!

mbrane

Post by mbrane » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:49 am

It was super worrying when Emory rejected me immediately because I thought it was a relatively safe school. I might be wrong, though. I based my applications purely on potential research advisors without looking at how competitive schools are.