Purdue or UMass

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jasperliu

Purdue or UMass

Post by jasperliu » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Hi folks,

I have two admissions now, from Purdue and UMass Amherst, and I am thinking about the situation that I might only get rejections elsewhere. I think that Purdue is ranked higher than UMass on US News and has a greater fame. However, according to my undergrad advisor, who has great renown in my field of study (number theory), I may find the program at UMass MUCH better than Purdue. Does anyone have any advice on this situation?

josenelson13

Re: Purdue or UMass

Post by josenelson13 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:45 pm

Purdue is probably superior for number theory. Not to mention that they generally have more funding. I might be biased though as I am waiting for a decision from UMass and would appreciate if people who know they are not going there declined their offer.

deviant_lime

Post by deviant_lime » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:52 pm

jasperliu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:40 pm
Hi folks,

I have two admissions now, from Purdue and UMass Amherst, and I am thinking about the situation that I might only get rejections elsewhere. I think that Purdue is ranked higher than UMass on US News and has a greater fame. However, according to my undergrad advisor, who has great renown in my field of study (number theory), I may find the program at UMass MUCH better than Purdue. Does anyone have any advice on this situation?
Your undergrad advisor probably knows you well and can probably better speak to how well the programs fit your needs and goals. I think that if they have said that you might prefer UMass Amherst it's worth giving it consideration regardless of whether it is ranked worse than Purdue. I would ask to discuss the pros and cons with your advisor further and maybe they can explain why they think UMass might be a better choice.

If you are able to, visiting both could help you make a decision as well.

jasperliu

Post by jasperliu » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:52 am

Thx guys, though I don't need the advice now---got into ucsd this evening. Will decline those two offers soon when I get the official admission from ucsd.