For those of you who haven't heard anything yet

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ms60000204

For those of you who haven't heard anything yet

Post by ms60000204 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:16 pm

How do you cope with anxiety and frustration, while still doing the work for the last semester?
I'm not sure if I should wait until mid March, or probably even until mid April. Not sure if I can survive until then.

Scathrules

Re: For those of you who haven't heard anything yet

Post by Scathrules » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Hey man I totally feel you since I haven't heard much back. I try my best to just focus on my research and teach myself another math subject but if my anxiety flares up more than usual, I play video games (would definitely recommend the new pokemon game cuz it really helps with stress lol). I really hope good news comes to you soon!

ijustwanttodomath

Post by ijustwanttodomath » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:34 pm

Find healthy outlets for the stress... I used to go on walks to defuse. Although, I do have workaholic tendencies, so I ended up occupying my time with 2 full-time jobs so that way I'll be too busy to stress out about news. Obviously doesn't work out during down times like now but it helped me a lot as opposed to when I was sitting around being an anxious mess waiting for news and feeling super defeated when people were claiming that they already got interviews or acceptances back in January. Another thing that helps is going out and enjoying what life outside of school has to offer. I live in a larger city in CA so I spent a lot of my free time going to new coffee shops, checking out random events, and enjoying good tacos while I still have access to them. :b

Will_Wilde

Post by Will_Wilde » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:13 am

I am really sorry that you are going through this. I can relate to part of it coz I was very very anxious in February.

I sincerely hope you get into a place that you are happy to attend. However, as international students, we are unfairly held to a very high standard in admission compared to domestic students. The pandemic also worsens the situation through funding. Thus I don't want to just mindlessly encourage you to be optimistic.

Other than the good advice from the posts above, I honestly would also suggest you make use of the time to think about and work on backup plans, like applying to a master program or building up your resume for the industry. Doing things that actually matter to your future may be an effective way to distract you from this insane competition too. If you struggle severely, scheduling a session at the counseling center of your school will probably be a good idea.

kaubrey

Post by kaubrey » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:58 am

Will_Wilde wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:13 am
I am really sorry that you are going through this. I can relate to part of it coz I was very very anxious in February.

I sincerely hope you get into a place that you are happy to attend. However, as international students, we are unfairly held to a very high standard in admission compared to domestic students. The pandemic also worsens the situation through funding. Thus I don't want to just mindlessly encourage you to be optimistic.

Other than the good advice from the posts above, I honestly would also suggest you make use of the time to think about and work on backup plans, like applying to a master program or building up your resume for the industry. Doing things that actually matter to your future may be an effective way to distract you from this insane competition too. If you struggle severely, scheduling a session at the counseling center of your school will probably be a good idea.
Unfairly? No, you got it wrong.

American universities especially the public ones received public funding from state and federal government, so naturally departments accepting more domestic students is only the only right thing to do. Universities are corporations after all, not a non-profit. They adhere to the principles of capitalism.

wynn

Post by wynn » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:30 am

kaubrey wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:58 am
Will_Wilde wrote:

American universities especially the public ones received public funding from state and federal government, so naturally departments accepting more domestic students is only the only right thing to do. Universities are corporations after all, not a non-profit. They adhere to the principles of capitalism.
Very True. Life is always unfair.

Will_Wilde

Post by Will_Wilde » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:39 am

kaubrey wrote:
Will_Wilde wrote:

Are you triggered by anything I said?? Why did you reply to me with unrelated things under a post seeking advice and help?? Isnt this place supposed to be a math forum?? I was just offering someone else a perspective that might make them feel better as an international student and get back to work on whatever is good for their life.

In terms of the content itself, what is the point of educating me on my opinions by yours? Online political debate will hardly convince any party.

ohdear

Post by ohdear » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:00 am

Will_Wilde wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:39 am
kaubrey wrote:
Will_Wilde wrote:

Are you triggered by anything I said?? Why did you reply to me with unrelated things under a post seeking advice and help?? Isnt this place supposed to be a math forum?? I was just offering someone else a perspective that might make them feel better as an international student and get back to work on whatever is good for their life.

In terms of the contents itself, what is the point of educating me on my opinions by yours? Online political debate will hardly convince any party.
As an international applicant myself, I wouldn't say we are treated unfairly. In fact, most (well-known) US programs maintain a cohort with 30%-50% international students. It is also true that international students are put in a more competitive pool in the admissions process. But this is because, compared to the number of domestic applications, there is a disproportionately large amount of international applications. The intense competition among international applicants is just a natural consequence. By the way, no one twisted my arm to apply for US programs. I do this voluntarily, so do you. I don't think we get to judge the fairness of admissions. If you don't like it, just don't apply in the first place. Nobody owes us anything.

Will_Wilde

Post by Will_Wilde » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:15 am

ohdear wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:00 am
Will_Wilde wrote:
kaubrey wrote:

In terms of the contents itself, what is the point of educating me on my opinions by yours? Online political debate will hardly convince any party.
As an international applicant myself, I wouldn't say we are treated unfairly. In fact, most (well-known) US programs maintain a cohort with 30%-50% international students. It is also true that international students are put in a more competitive pool in the admissions process. But this is because, compared to the number of domestic applications, there is a disproportionately large amount of international applications. The intense competition among international applicants is just a natural consequence. By the way, no one twisted my arm to apply for US programs. I do this voluntarily, so do you. I don't think we get to judge the fairness of admissions. If you don't like it, just don't apply in the first place. Nobody owes us anything.
You cannot represent the international student community, nor can I. You find it fair. Sure, feel whatever you want to feel like. If you want to debate the fairness of the admission process, how about starting another post rather than continuing here? For the sake of human decency?

Thank you all for wasting your time teaching me your invaluable opinions in a post of nature like this. Also thank you for the eagerness to "correct" my five cents. I love internet LOLLL

ijustwanttodomath

Post by ijustwanttodomath » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Will_Wilde wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:15 am
ohdear wrote:
Will_Wilde wrote:

You cannot represent the international student community, nor can I. You find it fair. Sure, feel whatever you want to feel like. If you want to debate the fairness of the admission process, how about starting another post rather than continuing here? For the sake of human decency?

Thank you all for wasting your time teaching me your invaluable opinions in a post of nature like this. Also thank you for the eagerness to "correct" my five cents. I love internet LOLLL
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It sounds like you're the one getting triggered instead, my dude. And you were the one who initially derailed the thread by mentioning that international students have it harder. With the current state of the world, it is very tone deaf to play the "hardship" Olympics right now.

Will_Wilde

Post by Will_Wilde » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:07 pm

ijustwanttodomath wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:00 pm
Will_Wilde wrote:
ohdear wrote:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It sounds like you're the one getting triggered instead, my dude. And you were the one who initially derailed the thread by mentioning that international students have it harder. With the current state of the world, it is very tone deaf to play the "hardship" Olympics right now.
I derailed the thread by a single word in my three short paragraphs LOLLLL Surely I am the one triggered! Tho I don't see the point either, I do appreciate your going out of your way to join this "stupid game"!

If you bother to read my original post, it did not aim at attacking the system. I didn't highlight my sentence but kaubrey started. Havent you ever learned how to read in context?? I just wanted to offer a perspective different from "coz I am unlucky" or "coz I didn't work hard enough" to process potential frustrating admission results. Thank you for policing my language!!

With the current state of the world, it is very tone deaf to pretend there is no difference in treatment right now. Even the replies I received above did not deny its existence but just provided different justification(s). If they were not phrased in a manner that posits their arguments as the only correct way of thinking about the different treatment, I honestly wouldn't bother to reply, coz I think obviously different perspectives can be true at the same time. If people try to teach me that their opinions are correct while mine are wrong, of course I will respond.

kaubrey

Post by kaubrey » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:35 pm

ijustwanttodomath wrote:
Will_Wilde wrote:
ohdear wrote:

+10

Some guys sure have some big egos, and whenever others disagree with them they get defensive immediately

Will_Wilde

Post by Will_Wilde » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:02 pm

kaubrey wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:35 pm
ijustwanttodomath wrote:
Will_Wilde wrote:

+10

Some guys sure have some big egos, and whenever others disagree with them they get defensive immediately
I am touched that after only several conversations you grow to understand better the past you! Kudos!