Mirror Symmetry 'safeties'

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mbrane

Mirror Symmetry 'safeties'

Post by mbrane » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:37 pm

With the huge amount of applicants this year and fewer available positions, I'm likely to end up without any acceptances this year. So I'm thinking ahead to next year. Are there any lesser known schools that have mirror symmetry (or moonshine or other mathematical string theory) research? Right now Utah is my 'safest' school I've applied to with such research. I feel like I'm wasting my potential doing other research I'm less interested in. I want to use both mathematical and physical intuitions to support my research. Also, string theory has been a lifelong obsession for me (starting at age 10) so it's extremely difficult to give up on it. Any more options would be appreciated! Trans affirming healthcare is very important for me, too, but I've got almost enough money saved up to get bottom surgery abroad.

ijustwanttodomath

Re: Mirror Symmetry 'safeties'

Post by ijustwanttodomath » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:53 pm

Honestly when I was looking for programs to apply to for this cycle, I just looked at the long ass list of graduate programs in the U.S./Canada that was published by AMS: https://www.ams.org/find-graduate-programs

I don't remember any schools by name off the top of my head that specifically did mirror symmetry but I remember a lot of "safe" (i.e., not super popular/seemingly insanely difficult to get into) programs having faculty members that did research in it. I remember coming across it so many times that I ended up just saying fck it and googling what it was about because I had never heard of it before, lol. Going through the list is definitely time consuming (and I did it three times :oops: ) but it definitely gives you perspective of which departments are doing the type of research you're interested in it.

Since string theory research has obvious ties to physics, definitely check out universities that have physics faculty doing research in it whose math departments allow graduate students to have advisors or committee members come from other departments! Also, if a campus has a strong theoretical physics graduate program, chances are slightly higher you'll find someone in the respective math department working on something you're interested in.

Hilbert9616

Post by Hilbert9616 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:20 pm

I'm not extremely familiar with Theoretical Physics, but I saw that the physics department at VirginiaTech has a large group of people working on String Theory. Some of them seem to use heavy mathematical tools to do research.

You might want to take a look at its department: https://www.phys.vt.edu/Research/Theore ... heory.html

Good luck!

mbrane

Post by mbrane » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:31 am

Hilbert9616 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:20 pm
I'm not extremely familiar with Theoretical Physics, but I saw that the physics department at VirginiaTech has a large group of people working on String Theory. Some of them seem to use heavy mathematical tools to do research.

You might want to take a look at its department: https://www.phys.vt.edu/Research/Theore ... heory.html

Good luck!
I considered VT and I know the campus would be accepting of someone like me but I'm afraid of the surrounding conservative territory. I want to apply but I will always feel safest surrounded by diversity

mbrane

Post by mbrane » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:08 am

In an ideal world I wouldn't have to worry about identities but my life is politicised and I've got no choice. But also at this point financial security is more important than personal comfort so keep those safeties rolling! I'll keep trying until I find research I like and trans affirming healthcare