What are my chances?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Kenshin

What are my chances?

Post by Kenshin » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:26 pm

Hi I am a mathematics major attending Georgia Southern. I just transferred in this semester from a state college after completing my AA and I didn't do too well there and completely bombed my first summer semester and second fall semester (D's and Fs except Pre-calc where I got a B) and graduated with a 2.5 GPA. So far my first semester at Georgia Southern has been great I'm currently getting all As and enjoying the school as a whole; I also began entertaining the idea of pursuing a PhD as I learned they didn't have cost like an MD or JD. However, I don't know if I have even a chance of getting accepted into a PhD program down the line even if I continue doing well because of my poor performance in the past.
Edit: I guess I should add what I'm interested in as of right now I find theoretical computer science an interesting field and I think I would like to try and get into the ACO program at Ga Tech. Though I know all of this may change as I learn about more fields of mathematics.

ijustwanttodomath

Re: What are my chances?

Post by ijustwanttodomath » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 am

if you show improvement (esp in your core math major courses) you'll probably be fine tbh

username2140

Post by username2140 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:04 am

I think it is hard to say. As ijustwanttodomath mentioned, showing improvement, and especially if you gain solid research experience, would likely make most admissions committees not care about your start.

Though to be clear, while math PhDs are (essentially always) funded in the U.S., it is not very much at all - typically between 20k-30k depending on cost of living (including top programs). In addition you are often grading/teaching classes, so they definitely are not paying you to just study.

Kenshin

Post by Kenshin » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:57 am

Thank you for your reply. Yes I learned that as well, I just originally had ruled out the idea completely as I thought I would be paying $200k+ but a little bit of debt or modest living I think I could manage as long as I was enjoying studying :)