Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:44 pm

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Post by philobilo12 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:07 pm

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma that I’m sure many of you are going through too, and I just wondered if anyone has any advice.

I’ve got an offer and I’m completely over the moon about it, but I’m still waiting on another place which would keep me a heck of a lot closer to family.

Can I ask the place I’m waiting on for an update, or might that hurt my chances? Could I only hear back like right on 15th April? Is there a specific time on 15th April that you have to reply by?! To complicate things, in the acceptance letter I got, it looks like I have to send back a letter to accept the offer - does my letter need to arrive by 15th?! I’m afraid if I ask them, they won’t like that I’m waiting on somewhere else over them. All the stress :?

Also happy to hear anyone share if they’re in a similar position. Venting is a very effective coping mechanism! Also sorry if I’m holding up someone else with my offer, but I hope you can see my situation…

Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 pm

Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Post by coolar » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:43 pm

I would definitely say email them. They understand that people have to make choices between schools and will probably be willing to give you an extension to make your decision if the other school does not provide an update before April 15.

I am also in a similar situation. I got into one school that is very close to my family and S/O, but the funding isn’t great and it’s not the best school I have an offer from. I am also on the waitlist for a much better school that would move me roughly 2/3 across the country. I wish I could help you with your dilemma, but everyone’s situation is unique and unfortunately it’s up to each person to decide for themselves.

Post Reply