transfer from MS to PHD at UIUC, U MICHIGAN

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
HyperCar2022

transfer from MS to PHD at UIUC, U MICHIGAN

Post by HyperCar2022 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:24 am

does anybody at UIUC or U Michigan know chances of continuing study into Ph.D. program? In particular, how about UIUC applied math MS and U Michigan AIM MS?

coolar

Re: transfer from MS to PHD at UIUC, U MICHIGAN

Post by coolar » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:36 am

It is very uncommon for UIUC to admit their masters students into their Ph.D. program.

Scathrules

Post by Scathrules » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:31 am

Take this with a slight grain of salt but in mathematics, it's somewhat uncommon for MS students to transfer into their MS institution's PhD program. That being said, it's not extremely hard to transfer and I'm positive that if you impress the faculty at your MS institution, they'll want to admit you into their PhD program

mbrane

Post by mbrane » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:22 pm

UIUC specifically states they usually don't accept MS students and I asked the department why and they said it's because MS students aren't as competitive and they're already selective. But if you show you're at least as good as their PhD students and find a research advisor, you have a good chance at being admitted. I regret not having gone down this route at UIUC, even though it would cost about 40k, because one of the professors said he would take me on. And even if you don't get accepted to UIUC/Michigan, if you do well and get strong letters you will be in a good position to get into other programs

HyperCar2022

Post by HyperCar2022 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:59 am

mbrane wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:22 pm
UIUC specifically states they usually don't accept MS students and I asked the department why and they said it's because MS students aren't as competitive and they're already selective. But if you show you're at least as good as their PhD students and find a research advisor, you have a good chance at being admitted. I regret not having gone down this route at UIUC, even though it would cost about 40k, because one of the professors said he would take me on. And even if you don't get accepted to UIUC/Michigan, if you do well and get strong letters you will be in a good position to get into other programs
Wow, so an advisor and certificate of performance like quality could be really helpful?

mbrane

Post by mbrane » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:35 am

HyperCar2022 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:59 am
mbrane wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:22 pm
Wow, so an advisor and certificate of performance like quality could be really helpful?
If the department knows you personally and you are outstanding then yes, you have a good chance of being admitted to a PhD in the same program. I was told this by UIUC, too. It makes sense to admit students you know are doing well in your graduate program