is a coursework Master good for Ph.D. application

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
HyperCar2022

is a coursework Master good for Ph.D. application

Post by HyperCar2022 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 am

In this cycle I got rejections only in Ph.D. application. Now I have only master options but I noticed those programs are all coursework-based (most of them is 1 year long, 2 semesters). Will taking such programs hurt my chances to do further applications?

username2140

Re: is a coursework Master good for Ph.D. application

Post by username2140 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm

Like all things, I am sure it depends. I don’t remember if you stated what courses you have taken, but if there are any areas that you did not study as much in your undergraduate, this would be a good opportunity to do that. Having said that, is there any way you could continue to work with professors you have done research with (or work with new professors at your masters institution)? If so, then I assume that trying to do more research can only help.

ms60000204

Post by ms60000204 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:12 pm

HyperCar2022 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 am
In this cycle I got rejections only in Ph.D. application. Now I have only master options but I noticed those programs are all coursework-based (most of them is 1 year long, 2 semesters). Will taking such programs hurt my chances to do further applications?
In my humble opinion, it is important to have a research focus than to have a strong coursework. It seems that schools allocate certain quota for each research area. I think it doesn't hurt to go masters if it's funded but if not I wouldn't spend more money because it would only strengthen your application so far

lzj

Post by lzj » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:56 pm

I wouldn’t say that master hurts your opportunity to get into a strong PhD program, but I think the bar to get in is higher than undergrad. They expect you to take more advanced courses and have strong research experience, like a published paper. You can always contact faculty members for possible research opportunity even in a course-based program. That’s my personal opinion, hope it helps!

GoatNinja1

Post by GoatNinja1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:43 am

I think that if you go for a coursework Masters you should push it to the limit. For reference, I've taken 22 courses (10 of which are Graduate) during my last two years in a coursework Masters, and have gotten into 5 reputable schools (around the 20-30 rank as per US News which is a bad metric but I digress). I too was rejected from all PhD programs my first attempt. Remark: I was coming from a non-math background so I needed to do this anyways to fill in my background knowledge

HyperCar2022

Post by HyperCar2022 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:27 am

GoatNinja1 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:43 am
I think that if you go for a coursework Masters you should push it to the limit. For reference, I've taken 22 courses (10 of which are Graduate) during my last two years in a coursework Masters, and have gotten into 5 reputable schools (around the 20-30 rank as per US News which is a bad metric but I digress). I too was rejected from all PhD programs my first attempt. Remark: I was coming from a non-math background so I needed to do this anyways to fill in my background knowledge
Thank you for reply. I noticed ms in usa is usually 1.5 year long. Did you take ms in Europe?