About the CUNY Graduate Center

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
FieldsMedalist

About the CUNY Graduate Center

Post by FieldsMedalist » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:34 am

I would like to know some infornation about the Graduate Center. I understood that there is no one campus of the school, it consists of all public universities in New York. So the Mathematics faculty there is big and consists of all the departments in these public schools. I am interested in the work of some mathematicians there. That's why I'm considering applying their. I will greatly appreciate if anyone can answer the following questions:

1) If I want to apply for Math PhD, what campus will I be in? Does it depend on the campus where my potential advisor is in?

2) Where will I take my courses? Since the department is not in one place, how do students manage this? Are students allowed to take them in multiple campuses and keep going from one campus to another. But I don't think this is efficient or logical.

3) Or is there only one campus for the graduate center and all graduate classes are taught there? But then how do graduate students manage their teaching duties, since there are no undergrads here. And is it good to be seperated from undergrads?

4) How much prestigious is graduate studies in Mathematics at CUNY considered? Especially in Number Theory.

coolar

Re: About the CUNY Graduate Center

Post by coolar » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:27 pm

FieldsMedalist wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:34 am
I understood that there is no one campus of the school, it consists of all public universities in New York.
This is not true. The CUNY Graduate Center is one building in New York City. Specifically, it's address is 365 5th Ave, New York, NY 10016.

FieldsMedalist

Post by FieldsMedalist » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:03 pm

Yeah but the professors are found in the different departments across the campuses

coolar

Post by coolar » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:00 pm

FieldsMedalist wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:03 pm
Yeah but the professors are found in the different departments across the campuses
The faculty of the Graduate Center work at the Graduate Center. Some of them have appointments at other state colleges, but they also work at the Graduate Center in NYC.

rxu1113

Post by rxu1113 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi,
1) So you will be taking courses/quals and all Ph.D. related stuff at the Graduate Center building in midtown Manhattan. That does not depend on where your mentor is teaching in CUNY.

2)I guess the same answer as above for courses. No other building for PhD students. But you can certainly go to any other campuses to access their library and labs and most technologies with your Graduate Center ID.

3)No other building to take courses for Ph.D. students. And if you are going to teach, you will be teaching at one of the CUNYs campuses(No undergraduate courses are being reached at the Graduate Center), I guess it means you have to travel to that school for teaching.

4)CUNY Ph.D. program is Group I public research institute on AMS Survey and top 50 on US news, but Idk what that means to anyone. As for number theory that I don't know, what you can do is look into their faculty's research and talk to some professors and understand how big of a number theory group they have over there.

FieldsMedalist

Post by FieldsMedalist » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:19 pm

rxu1113 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:15 pm
Hi,
1) So you will be taking courses/quals and all Ph.D. related stuff at the Graduate Center building in midtown Manhattan. That does not depend on where your mentor is teaching in CUNY.

2)I guess the same answer as above for courses. No other building for PhD students. But you can certainly go to any other campuses to access their library and labs and most technologies with your Graduate Center ID.

3)No other building to take courses for Ph.D. students. And if you are going to teach, you will be teaching at one of the CUNYs campuses(No undergraduate courses are being reached at the Graduate Center), I guess it means you have to travel to that school for teaching.

4)CUNY Ph.D. program is Group I public research institute on AMS Survey and top 50 on US news, but Idk what that means to anyone. As for number theory that I don't know, what you can do is look into their faculty's research and talk to some professors and understand how big of a number theory group they have over there.
Thanks a lot!
Do you also know if the CUNY schools are far from the Grad Center? Is it hard to travel from one campus to the other or from the Grad Center to the campuses? Or is there specific transportation for students

rxu1113

Post by rxu1113 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:34 pm

that really depends on where you going to teach, CUNY schools are spread in all 5 boroughs in NYC, I guess the closest to Graduate Center are hunter college, john Jay and Baruch, which all take about 20 mins to travel by transit. And there are schools like the College of Staten Island, and Queens College, which takes more than 1 hour to travel by transit. But I heard that where you teach may depend on the mentor you work with.

FieldsMedalist

Post by FieldsMedalist » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:47 am

rxu1113 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:34 pm
that really depends on where you going to teach, CUNY schools are spread in all 5 boroughs in NYC, I guess the closest to Graduate Center are hunter college, john Jay and Baruch, which all take about 20 mins to travel by transit. And there are schools like the College of Staten Island, and Queens College, which takes more than 1 hour to travel by transit. But I heard that where you teach may depend on the mentor you work with.
Great, thank you!