Retract GRE scores once submitted?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
spicyguava

Retract GRE scores once submitted?

Post by spicyguava » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:28 pm

I took the GRE over the summer and submitted my scores for free on site with the four free score reports because I can't afford to pay to send them later. At the time I didn't know whether or not the GRE would be required by the schools I was applying to, but it was a risk I would have to take because of the money. Now one of the schools just announced it's optional.

My score isn't bad by any means, but it's also not outstanding. I'm above the schools average in Q and AW and below in V. I know people say that if it's optional, you should only submit it if it's crazy good or something, so I was wondering if it was possible to somehow retract my scores? Or if that's considered bad form.

Or do you think I'm worrying too much? Like I said, my scores aren't bad by any means, they just aren't good enough to justify sending them in when it's optional, I just didn't have that luxury.

elegant.cat

Re: Retract GRE scores once submitted?

Post by elegant.cat » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:27 am

spicyguava wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:28 pm
I took the GRE over the summer and submitted my scores for free on site with the four free score reports because I can't afford to pay to send them later. At the time I didn't know whether or not the GRE would be required by the schools I was applying to, but it was a risk I would have to take because of the money. Now one of the schools just announced it's optional.

My score isn't bad by any means, but it's also not outstanding. I'm above the schools average in Q and AW and below in V. I know people say that if it's optional, you should only submit it if it's crazy good or something, so I was wondering if it was possible to somehow retract my scores? Or if that's considered bad form.

Or do you think I'm worrying too much? Like I said, my scores aren't bad by any means, they just aren't good enough to justify sending them in when it's optional, I just didn't have that luxury.
I did the same thing (rant: 30 dollars is a lot of money per school, it's a mystery to me how ETS can classify themselves as non-profit it's ridiculous)

I don't think it's possible (to retract score) but I also don't think it's something that will ruin your application or you should lose sleep over. Worst case scenario we might get deprioritized for teaching higher level classes. (I got a 145 btw)

math.magician

Post by math.magician » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:43 pm

elegant.cat wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:27 am
spicyguava wrote:

I did the same thing (rant: 30 dollars is a lot of money per school, it's a mystery to me how ETS can classify themselves as non-profit it's ridiculous)

I don't think it's possible (to retract score) but I also don't think it's something that will ruin your application or you should lose sleep over. Worst case scenario we might get deprioritized for teaching higher level classes. (I got a 145 btw)
I didn't put down any schools when I took the gre/gre subject tests, and now I've already spent 400-500 dollars just for the ETS to automatically and electronically send my scores to my 20+ schools.

Believe me I ... WE know it hurts, but there's nothing we can do about it.

elegant.cat

Post by elegant.cat » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:47 pm

math.magician wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:43 pm
elegant.cat wrote:
spicyguava wrote:

I didn't put down any schools when I took the gre/gre subject tests, and now I've already spent 400-500 dollars just for the ETS to automatically and electronically send my scores to my 20+ schools.

you applied to 20+ schools? i don't think i'll ever have the bravery to ask my letter writers to submit their letters/applications to that many schools since these process are not universal

gzero

Post by gzero » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:35 pm

elegant.cat wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:47 pm
math.magician wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:43 pm
elegant.cat wrote:

you applied to 20+ schools? i don't think i'll ever have the bravery to ask my letter writers to submit their letters/applications to that many schools since these process are not universal
One of my letter writers managed to upload his letter to like 9 different universities in the space of about 15 minutes. (and I think that's just because one school asked for a Likert) I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to ask provided you haven't left it to the very last minute. I think people applying to postdocs would be asking for much more uploads for example.

elegant.cat

Post by elegant.cat » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:02 pm

for postdoc and tenure track jobs i was told that they use mathjobs.org so the recommendation is universal and only needs to be completed once

for some schools our letter writers no only have to upload a PDF, but also answer couple questions which might not be as simple as "drag, drop and wah lah"