Profile Evaluation [International Student]

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
SolitonEstocastico

Profile Evaluation [International Student]

Post by SolitonEstocastico » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:38 pm

Hello everyone, I am 23 years old (I don't know if this is relevant). I am interested in improving my academic profile with the goal of getting into a top program in applied mathematics (specifically PDE), so I have decided to pursue a master's degree instead of applying directly to a PhD.

Undergrad Institution: Most reputable university in Colombia.
Major(s): Mathematics.
GPA: (I'm not sure how to calculate it on the U.S. scale) acording to Scholaro (https://www.scholaro.com/gpa-calculator/Colombia) my USA GPA is: 3.6/4. My GPA with Colombian Scale i: 4.3/5.
Type of Student: International Student, Latino.

I am applying for masters in the best universities in Brazil, which are among the top 100 in the world, is it possible that I can win a scholarship for my studies there. Assuming I get into the best (USP or Unicamp) do you think a good performance there will increase my chances in the top 20 universities in the world? What profile should I try to aim for in masters to be competitive, i.e. minimum GPA, minimum number of publications, etc?

GRE Revised General Test:
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
I have not taken any, but I would like to know how important this is to improve my application and approximately what score it would be advisable to have to get into a top PhD.

Program Applying: PhD in Applied Mathematics.
Research Experience: I worked for six months on a research project related to the Navier-Stokes Equations at my university, from there I did my undergraduate thesis, I am now working on an article with a professor, possibly we will have a preprint in December.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
1) I obtained a scholarship offered to low-income students with high performance in the national knowledge tests taken in high school (I don't know if it counts as an award).
2) I got the third best undergraduate entrance exam in mathematics, which gave me a first semester tuition waiver.
3) I got a financial incentive given by the government for low-income students with a CGPA above 4/5 (I don't know if it counts as an award).
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I was a speaker at the 31st International Symposium on Statistics.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: First person in the family to go to college.

Questions

With my current profile + a good performance in the GRE, in which programs do you think I can be accepted?

With my current profile + master's degree at a top university in Brazil + good performance on the GRE, in which programs do you think I could be accepted in the future?