Fall 2023 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
DOCTORFM

Re: Fall 2023 Sweat Thread

Post by DOCTORFM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:06 am

mathappfrombrazil wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:46 am
borelcantelli wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:37 am
chip wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:26 am
Anyone heard back from Oxford?
I had my interview 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard back.
Same thing. They told me results would be out in 2 weeks, but alas. Don’t even know the perspectives on funding, specially for international students.
I was told that a committee meeting took place yesterday, so maybe we can expect news soon. Also, I heard a rumor that funding is not great this year, but take this with a grain of salt.

corkquark

Post by corkquark » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:21 am

xbq22 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:18 pm
How do you ask if you are on a short list? I don't know how to write this email, any pointers would be appreciated.
i asked ChatGPT lol:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sure! Here's an email template that you can use to inquire about the status of your graduate school application:

Subject: Request for an update on my graduate school application status

Dear [Admissions Committee Member or Contact Person],

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the status of my application for the [Program Name] at [Graduate School Name] for the [Intake Term/Year].

I submitted my application on [Date of Submission] and since then, I have not received any information regarding the status of my application. As the decision deadline approaches, I am eager to know if I am on the shortlist of applicants being considered for admission to the program or if I am likely to receive an offer of acceptance.

If there is any additional information or documents that you need from me to evaluate my application, please let me know. I would be happy to provide any further details that would be helpful in assessing my candidacy.

Thank you for your time and attention to my request. I appreciate your assistance in keeping me informed about the status of my application.

Best regards,

[Your Name]
[Your Contact Information]
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

veenzaan

Post by veenzaan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:38 am

Does not getting the UIUC open house invite mean a rejection?

If yes why have they not sent rejections then 🤔

gzero

Post by gzero » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:29 am

chip wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:26 am
Anyone heard back from Oxford?
Got an offer today, no word of funding, will be declining.

Kaleiss

Post by Kaleiss » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:19 pm

According to a professor at Umich, they will only admit 12 people this year. I am not quite sure whether it means they will only send out 12 offers, or they want 12 coming phd students. But a bad news for people who haven't heard from them: they have sent out 52 interview invitations(two waves, one on 2/1 and one on 2/7), and perhaps there won't be more.

start.over.104418

Post by start.over.104418 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:40 pm

veenzaan wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:38 am

Yeah they don't even reply to emails.

veenzaan

Post by veenzaan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:53 pm

start.over.104418 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:40 pm
veenzaan wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:38 am

Yeah they don't even reply to emails.
I mailed them a while ago and they just said that they don't have any update yet, and will mail when they have something.

MathQueen

Post by MathQueen » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:56 pm

Ohio State sent out their waitlist.

MetalBlueYoshi

Post by MetalBlueYoshi » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Has anyone heard anything about U of Rochester (pure math)?

math.magician

Post by math.magician » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Scathrules wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:04 pm
math.magician wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:45 pm
18sama20 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:11 pm

I am no expert so it would be very foolish of me to comment. But I do not think that second-round offers have been made as yet (those who have applied to UCSB will know better, I have not applied), hence the number of accepted students will surely increase.
yeah I know someone who got in but I didn't - so these statistics as you said probably only including 1st round offers

though it's kind of surprising to see a large drop in applications
I didnt end up applying due to the GRE Subject requirement. I emailed them and the grad coordinator said that the math department requested to remove the GRE requirement for this cycle but it got rejected. That's the likely reason why this year apps are down for UCSB plus funding has been cut everywhere
I didn't have any difficulty finding gre math administration site and dates when I sign up for them on ets.org neither did my friends and classmates

Are there specific parts of the country where people had difficulty signing up for gre math?

Helpmepls

Post by Helpmepls » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:02 pm

MetalBlueYoshi wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:28 pm
Has anyone heard anything about U of Rochester (pure math)?
I just got admitted 3 hours ago. The email told me to check my application status.

aoi_teal

Post by aoi_teal » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:34 pm

Has everyone heard back from Northeastern or UMass Amherst? I don't even know whether they've sent out offers.

thyartismath

Post by thyartismath » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:17 pm

Hi everyone!

Has anyone heard from UC Irvine, UC Riverside, or UC San Diego?

To share what little info I’ve gathered:

I know that Irvine has a recruitment day event coming up (I wasn’t invited, unfortunately). Riverside told me they’d have decisions done by the end of February and San Diego said they weren’t starting the review process until mid February at the earliest.

I’ve reached out to a few professors at these universities and haven’t really gotten much back.

I want this to be over with already :cry:

math.magician

Post by math.magician » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:44 pm

corkquark wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:21 am
xbq22 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:18 pm
How do you ask if you are on a short list? I don't know how to write this email, any pointers would be appreciated.
i asked ChatGPT lol:
Sure! Here's an email template that you can use to inquire about the status of your graduate school application:

Subject: Request for an update on my graduate school application status

Dear [Admissions Committee Member or Contact Person],

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the status of my application for the [Program Name] at [Graduate School Name] for the [Intake Term/Year].

I submitted my application on [Date of Submission] and since then, I have not received any information regarding the status of my application. As the decision deadline approaches, I am eager to know if I am on the shortlist of applicants being considered for admission to the program or if I am likely to receive an offer of acceptance.

If there is any additional information or documents that you need from me to evaluate my application, please let me know. I would be happy to provide any further details that would be helpful in assessing my candidacy.

Thank you for your time and attention to my request. I appreciate your assistance in keeping me informed about the status of my application.

Best regards,

[Your Name]
[Your Contact Information]
I can almost guarantee that the chances of them replying is higher - if you use my template instead :

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Subject: Inquiry on Ph.D Admissions Application

Dear [Person of Contact] -

Hope all is well.**
I applied for admissions to your [program name/degree/etc] program come fall. May I ask for an update on the status of my application?

Thank you.

[Your name]

** [or good afternoon/evening/morning whatever 1-sentence pleasantries that fit your style]
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:16 am

Hey, are there any known updates from the applied mathematics program at UC Davis?

HilbertIrred

Post by HilbertIrred » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:32 am

Did BU send acceptances for pure math?

physicsofcomica

Post by physicsofcomica » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:21 am

Pilot wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:16 am
Hey, are there any known updates from the applied mathematics program at UC Davis?
I know there was an acceptance from someone I know

xbq22

Post by xbq22 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:01 am

HilbertIrred wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:32 am
Did BU send acceptances for pure math?
Yes, I believe offers been sent out. There are also very few spots at BU.

Euler101

Post by Euler101 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:18 am

SoggyGarlicPowder wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:09 pm
Rejection from U of Oregon. Really bummed as this was my top choice and based on my stats I feel this should’ve very likely been an acceptance. Seems like this year is more competitive than previous years surprise surprise. Also anyone else yet to receive an acceptance? I’m starting to get worried I actually might not get in to any programs.
I feel you man. I have a friend in the same situation. He just got rejected from it and is really bummed because he was really interested in the research they had going on there in noncommutative geometry. Sucks too since he's brilliant, doing a senior thesis in condensed mathematics and did an REU, yet he has yet to get an acceptance. Good luck to you.

madformath

Post by madformath » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:19 am

Hey I am on the waitlist at Penn and was wondering if anyone knows how high the funding will be!

inaicecream

Post by inaicecream » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:56 am

madformath wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:19 am
Hey I am on the waitlist at Penn and was wondering if anyone knows how high the funding will be!
It’s going up to about $40,000 next year. (Also I’m on the waitlist too so if anyone is reading this and isn’t committing to Penn please withdraw!)

Scathrules

Post by Scathrules » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:24 pm

thyartismath wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:17 pm
Hi everyone!

I know that Irvine has a recruitment day event coming up (I wasn’t invited, unfortunately). Riverside told me they’d have decisions done by the end of February and San Diego said they weren’t starting the review process until mid February at the earliest.

I’ve reached out to a few professors at these universities and haven’t really gotten much back.

How do you know that you weren't invited? Did you email them or did UCI email you?

newtonjeep

Post by newtonjeep » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:22 pm

aoi_teal wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:34 pm
Has everyone heard back from Northeastern or UMass Amherst? I don't even know whether they've sent out offers.
I received an offer from UMass via email on Wednesday (Feb 22)

FieldsMedalist

Post by FieldsMedalist » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:37 pm

Did McGill send any offers yet??

thyartismath

Post by thyartismath » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:39 am

Scathrules wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:24 pm
thyartismath wrote:
Hi everyone!

How do you know that you weren't invited? Did you email them or did UCI email you?
I reached out to the graduate student affairs officer for the UCI math department last week and she said that all invites for the recruitment day had already been extended.

brumer_stark

Post by brumer_stark » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:36 am

madformath wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:19 am
When did u receive the waitlist decision?

nonickels

Post by nonickels » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:39 pm

Hello all, I am waitlisted at CU boulder and it is my top choice, if you are not planning on accepting please decline!

SoggyGarlicPowder

Post by SoggyGarlicPowder » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:08 pm

nonickels wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:39 pm
Hello all, I am waitlisted at CU boulder and it is my top choice, if you are not planning on accepting please decline!

Ditto that and extend it to U of Utah as well please. Same goes for any program that anyone has been accepted to and has no intention of attending, just makes life that little bit less stressful for those on waitlists.

hilberthotel

Post by hilberthotel » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:43 pm

Have anyone got an official offer from Arizona for Pure Math?

Germinal

Post by Germinal » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:33 pm

hilberthotel wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:43 pm
Have anyone got an official offer from Arizona for Pure Math?
They invite great candidates to a workshop plus an interview. If you were not invited, your chances are low I guess.
Or you mean ASU?

thyartismath

Post by thyartismath » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:45 pm

thyartismath wrote:
Hi everyone!

In case it is helpful information to others, just updating this post with some unfortunate news I received from UCR. Based on the much higher stature of the other UC programs I applied to, I am probably not getting into a PhD program this cycle. Here’s the email:

“Thank you for your interest in UCR.

We have evaluated your application and unfortunately, you are not in our list of initial offers or waitlist. Although we have not concluded our admission process, I think it is unlikely for us to offer you admission.”

Absolutely fuckin’ crushed. Best of luck to everyone else.

WarmMilkIsBest

Post by WarmMilkIsBest » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:51 pm

thyartismath wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:45 pm
thyartismath wrote:
Hi everyone!

In case it is helpful information to others, just updating this post with some unfortunate news I received from UCR. Based on the much higher stature of the other UC programs I applied to, I am probably not getting into a PhD program this cycle. Here’s the email:

We have evaluated your application and unfortunately, you are not in our list of initial offers or waitlist. Although we have not concluded our admission process, I think it is unlikely for us to offer you admission.”

That sucks man. I was definitely bracing myself for the situation you're currently in. I think the most helpful advice I could give right now (it's what I was going to tell myself) is that more experience will always look better to graduate programs, never worse. Also remember that this isn't the end. At the risk of sounding kind of gushy, keep moving forward, and I hope you find in life whatever it is you're searching for.

yjj82333akdc

Post by yjj82333akdc » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:47 pm

Waitlisted by Duke, emailed the professor who interviewed me to know the result. If someone decides not to attend Duke, please decline the offer. Duke is really my dream school.

thyartismath

Post by thyartismath » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:48 am

WarmMilkIsBest wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:51 pm
thyartismath wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:45 pm
thyartismath wrote:
Hi everyone!

That sucks man. I was definitely bracing myself for the situation you're currently in. I think the most helpful advice I could give right now (it's what I was going to tell myself) is that more experience will always look better to graduate programs, never worse. Also remember that this isn't the end. At the risk of sounding kind of gushy, keep moving forward, and I hope you find in life whatever it is you're searching for.
Thank you so much for the supportive words and advice, friend. I really needed to hear this right now.

I don’t have a very traditional or strong profile (my GPA is crap, 3.5 undergrad and 3.3 grad), and I only applied to four schools this cycle (my first). I don’t really have any research experience, despite having obtained my bachelors and masters in pure math (same state school for both).

The only thing I really have going for me is my current job. I’m a full-time math instructor at a community college. It’s great teaching experience and I love doing it, but it’s not very challenging and there’s no real opportunity to conduct research. My ultimate goal is to become a professor at a university, but that’s not very easy to do without a PhD in hand.

I guess if there’s anyone out there in a similar boat and you read this: don’t you dare give up.

Thanks again for being kind and caring. Wishing you and everyone else here the best of luck.

macmath7

Post by macmath7 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:30 pm

Has anybody heard anything from Brandeis? I've seen one waitlist on here but reached out to them and they said I would get a decision on my application in a week or two.

frakslluvr

Post by frakslluvr » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:51 pm

macmath7 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:30 pm
Has anybody heard anything from Brandeis? I've seen one waitlist on here but reached out to them and they said I would get a decision on my application in a week or two.
I was waitlisted and I know for a fact that some rejections have already been sent out, so not having a decision yet might be a good sign.

mathappfrombrazil

Post by mathappfrombrazil » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Is it looked down on to email a school which I haven’t heard back from to check whether I’m on the waitlist or not, if I don’t necessarily have the intention of accepting an offer from them?

macmath7

Post by macmath7 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:14 pm

mathappfrombrazil wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:08 pm
Is it looked down on to email a school which I haven’t heard back from to check whether I’m on the waitlist or not, if I don’t necessarily have the intention of accepting an offer from them?
Definitely not looked down upon, if you haven't heard from a school in a while you can send a quick email to whoever runs admissions and they are typically very helpful!

macmath7

Post by macmath7 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:15 pm

frakslluvr wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:51 pm
macmath7 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:30 pm
I was waitlisted and I know for a fact that some rejections have already been sent out, so not having a decision yet might be a good sign.
Good to know! I haven't heard of any acceptances or rejections, just waitlist, so that's good info to have.

xbq22

Post by xbq22 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:52 pm

Anyone hear anything from Austin?

Amenable

Post by Amenable » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:55 pm

I applied to UCLA and haven’t heard back yet. It seems they’ve already sent out some acceptances and rejections. I emailed them asking if there is any update on my application in the hopes I’m waitlisted or something. They responded that “no decision has been made yet on my application.” Is it possible there is still a chance or should I give up hope? If there was no chance why wouldn’t they just reject me already lol

inhyak

Post by inhyak » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:15 pm

Amenable wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:55 pm
I applied to UCLA and haven’t heard back yet. It seems they’ve already sent out some acceptances and rejections. I emailed them asking if there is any update on my application in the hopes I’m waitlisted or something. They responded that “no decision has been made yet on my application.” Is it possible there is still a chance or should I give up hope? If there was no chance why wouldn’t they just reject me already lol
curious who did u email and when because i tried emailing UCLA too but they havent gotten back to me yet (sent mine a week ago)

LetMeIn2401

Post by LetMeIn2401 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:06 pm

I reached out to UCLA, I had the same email response when I inquired about my status. I am worried that they might have not even looked at my application (which probably makes no sense) or that they do rejections in two round. In the best case, I think this is a waitlist.

LetMeIn2401

Post by LetMeIn2401 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:04 pm

But I also find it odd that they would reject so many candidates in the first round. I know that many UCs are strapped for funding, and telling people that they are waitlist might given them too much hope. But IDK I am just guessing.

dreamer

Post by dreamer » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 pm

Just an off topic question. I am having trouble with seeing comments on any random result posted on GradCafe. When I press on the comments icon I do not see any comments. How to access them?

rekker

Post by rekker » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:25 pm

Anyone know who to contact for Gatech?
Or does anyone know when they’ll send second round offers?

Amenable

Post by Amenable » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:52 pm

inhyak wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:15 pm
Amenable wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:55 pm
curious who did u email and when because i tried emailing UCLA too but they havent gotten back to me yet (sent mine a week ago)

I emailed “gradapps@…” which was just the email that was given on the website. I just sent the email yesterday.

Amenable

Post by Amenable » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:54 pm

LetMeIn2401 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:06 pm
I reached out to UCLA, I had the same email response when I inquired about my status. I am worried that they might have not even looked at my application (which probably makes no sense) or that they do rejections in two round. In the best case, I think this is a waitlist.
I would guess that they first accept those they accept, then reject the people with no chance. I guess now they are deciding which of us to waitlist and which to second-round reject. I’m just nervous because the open house is coming up so I hope they make some decision by then.

18sama20

Post by 18sama20 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:18 am

I have been accepted into the Ph.D. programme at Central Michigan University but there is no mention of any funding. Their website does mention that acceptance and funding are different processes, so is it safe to assume that the funding decision will be made sometime later?

mathappfrombrazil

Post by mathappfrombrazil » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:17 pm

Just emailed Toronto asking for an update on decisions. They told me first round offers were already made and they plan to make another round early april. They didn’t comment explicitly whether I’m not a waitlist or not, as I haven’t seen any rejections from them yet.