UPenn Open House

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
frakslluvr
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:28 pm

UPenn Open House

Post by frakslluvr » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm

I was invited to the UPenn open house and I was wondering if there's anyone here who has attended in previous years and can talk about it. What should I expect/how to prepare? In the email, they said that it is part of the admissions process, so I'm especially interested to hear from anyone who was invited but was later rejected/waitlisted. Also, thoughts on dress code?

kkk23
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:10 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by kkk23 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:55 am

I guess it will be a very casual event aiming at attracting students to accept their offers. The invitation means a great chance for receiving an offer.

inaicecream
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by inaicecream » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:25 pm

I was also invited to the Open House! As for preparation, I'm not sure how much time we might have to talk to faculty and make ourselves look attractive before official letters, but just in case I'm organizing my thoughts on what I'm aiming to do my research, thinking about what questions I would like to ask about the university, as well as thinking about questions they might ask me. Here are some questions for example:

Questions they might ask you:
1. What is a challenge you've faced during your academic journey?
2. Tell me about the research you've done in the past?
3. What are your research interests?
4. Tell me about yourself.
5. What do you want most out of a grad program?

Questions I'm Asking:
1. What Sets UPenn apart from other programs?
2. Recently, there has been an emphasis on diversity and inclusion in all work fields. In your opinion, what is UPenn doing to create a safe community for all of its diverse students?
3. Do you find that students have a good work/life balance?
4. Does Penn create a relaxed environment where students can collaborate with faculty?
5. Do the students seem close?
6. What are the TA responsibilities as a grad student?
7. Are their opportunities for students to go to conferences as attendees as well as speakers?

As for dress code, this was also a worry of mine (since I'm pretty goth/alternative with some face piercings) but after speaking to a professor I respect who has gone through interviews in the past, you should dress professional but also be yourself! Don't become a different person! You should never go to a school that doesn't accept you for you. At the end of the day, what really matters are your skills.

Hope this helps and Good Luck to both of us! I hope to see you there! If you want to talk before the day and maybe meet up you can personal message me!

wilslaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:11 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by wilslaw » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 pm

I was also invited to the open house and sent an email asking a few questions (including dress code) and was told this about dress code:

"There is absolutely no dress code -- everyone will be dressed as you are used to seeing math people, in a range of outfits according to whatever they feel comfortable with. Many people will be very casually dressed. Some people are more dressy, but you should come as you are. We want you to feel happy and comfortable."

Hopefully this helps answer any questions and I look forward to meeting you all there! Based on at least this forum it seems like a lot of people were invited to this so I'm curious to see how many people are actually there haha!

WDDYz
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:57 am

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by WDDYz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 am

Any received an offer after the open house? Quite nervous now.

inaicecream
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by inaicecream » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am

WDDYz wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 am
Any received an offer after the open house? Quite nervous now.
I’m also quite nervous and pissing myself. One of the faculty I spoke with over email said there will be “more communication from the admissions committee” by the end of the week and I assume he meant about offers.

kkk23
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:10 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by kkk23 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:14 am

inaicecream wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am
WDDYz wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 am
Any received an offer after the open house? Quite nervous now.
I’m also quite nervous and pissing myself. One of the faculty I spoke with over email said there will be “more communication from the admissions committee” by the end of the week and I assume he meant about offers.
The version I heard is that the committee would have a meeting on Monday to make final decisions... So we could expect some offers coming out this week.

cornheck
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:59 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by cornheck » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm

kkk23 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:14 am
inaicecream wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am
WDDYz wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 am
Any received an offer after the open house? Quite nervous now.
I’m also quite nervous and pissing myself. One of the faculty I spoke with over email said there will be “more communication from the admissions committee” by the end of the week and I assume he meant about offers.
The version I heard is that the committee would have a meeting on Monday to make final decisions... So we could expect some offers coming out this week.

just got an unofficial acceptance over email

inaicecream
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by inaicecream » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:33 pm

cornheck wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm
kkk23 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:14 am
inaicecream wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am


I’m also quite nervous and pissing myself. One of the faculty I spoke with over email said there will be “more communication from the admissions committee” by the end of the week and I assume he meant about offers.
The version I heard is that the committee would have a meeting on Monday to make final decisions... So we could expect some offers coming out this week.

just got an unofficial acceptance over email
I don’t know if I’m allowed to ask this but which faculty member did you hear from?

cornheck
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:59 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by cornheck » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:05 pm

inaicecream wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:33 pm
cornheck wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm
kkk23 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:14 am


The version I heard is that the committee would have a meeting on Monday to make final decisions... So we could expect some offers coming out this week.

just got an unofficial acceptance over email
I don’t know if I’m allowed to ask this but which faculty member did you hear from?
It was from Ron the graduate chair

madformath
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:03 am

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by madformath » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:50 am

Except for the first round of unofficial offers (that probably were followed up by official offers by now), did anyone hear anything since the open house?

inaicecream
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by inaicecream » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:27 am

madformath wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:50 am
Except for the first round of unofficial offers (that probably were followed up by official offers by now), did anyone hear anything since the open house?
Nope nothing. Trying to keep hope at this point.

rudeus
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by rudeus » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 am

Since this year's UPenn Open House will take place in a couple of days, I wanted to revive this thread and ask for some info from those who have already participated in this event or know something specific about it.

Of course, invited candidates will participate in different panels and listen to graduate lectures. However, as I understand, we will have something like short interviews with members of the faculty. Are those technical interviews, or are they devoted solely to discussing motivation and similar stuff?

aerh
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by aerh » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:03 am

Has anyone received an offer yet?

rudeus
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

Re: UPenn Open House

Post by rudeus » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:23 pm

aerh wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:03 am
Has anyone received an offer yet?
nope



Post Reply