Semester in Budapest

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
specjust

Semester in Budapest

Post by specjust » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:52 pm

I have found surprisingly little on course selection/reviews about Budapest. Assume background in Complex + 2x semesters each in Algebra & Analysis. Would like to take as many courses as possible. From what I gather, most people take either 4 or 5 classes depending on difficulty. What's that (min-max) hrs per week needed for each course in this list: C&P, MPS, AdvCombi, DCG, Top, AlgTop, CommAlg, QuantumInfo.
Also, how would these courses compare to grad-level alternatives at home institution in the US - easier/harder?
Thank you kindly.

Helpmepls

Re: Semester in Budapest

Post by Helpmepls » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:21 am

Hi, I took Adv Combo, C&P, MPS, and a research course. It is very much worth mentioning that although I attended these courses (not for the entire semester but a good chunk of it), I only sat the exam for Adv. Combo so I didn't really do all the hw's and wasn't concerned with my grades in courses other than AC and RES. I would say that Adv. Combo was around the same difficulty as grad-level Real Analysis for me. The difficulty level of C&P can vary wildly based on how exposed you are to problem-solving in mathematics: if you would like to sit the course and take the exam, then I would recommend only taking C&P and one other course. MPS was relatively easy and sorta like a fun break, but I didn't have much time to fill out the hw's with my two main courses.

I honestly don't remember how many hours I was doing that summer; it was a lot, but I was trying to make the most of the experience over there. If you just take two courses though, you should be absolutely fine. Keep in mind you can audit the course all the way to the last day or something like that.

P.S. This is all written in the context of a summer semester. Also do yourself a favor and get yourself the dios baklava from Hari Kebab.