UMass or Northeastern?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mimimi

UMass or Northeastern?

Post by mimimi » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:18 am

I'm deciding between these 2 schools and can't decide. I'm probably going to do analysis. On one hand, I've heard good things about UMass, but I like being in the city. Please, let me know your thoughts.

Alexander

Re: UMass or Northeastern?

Post by Alexander » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:27 am

NEU is in fact not bad, as for analysis, they also have some mordern research topics, for example, micro-local analysis (Prof. Yuwen Zhu).

Actually, the two Universities have very close rankings on the QS, what different is that umass is public while NEU is private, normally speaking, public university will have heavier TA tasks than a private one.

Another advantage to choose NEU is that it is located in Boston, a city much bigger than Amherst, that implies there will be more chances in academic.

These are just some opinions of me. No matter what, congratulation to you and wish you will enjoy your PhD time!

manifold_multiple

Post by manifold_multiple » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 pm

Can’t beat the city… :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But in all seriousness, you’re going to have to be in a program for 5+ years so if you really prefer the city I think the difference in analysis departments in marginal enough to justify the city.

newtonjeep

Post by newtonjeep » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:04 pm

Be warned, there are a limited number of faculty in analysis at Northeastern. The department is heavily algebra focused.

hilberthotel

Post by hilberthotel » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:38 pm

mimimi wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:18 am
I'm deciding between these 2 schools and can't decide. I'm probably going to do analysis. On one hand, I've heard good things about UMass, but I like being in the city. Please, let me know your thoughts.
Have you decided?