How heavily are you weighing non-academic factors?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
KTheoryKid

How heavily are you weighing non-academic factors?

Post by KTheoryKid » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:24 pm

How much are you guys considering factors such as location, cost of living, things to do, distance to loved ones?

How about personality fit with advisor rather than research fit, etc?

Anyone choose the advisor or department with marginally weaker/less aligned research for any of the academic factors above?

hushus42

Re: How heavily are you weighing non-academic factors?

Post by hushus42 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:43 pm

I have heard time and time again, from professors who I’ve conversed with and even more personally my recommenders, that advisor fit is THE most important factor by a large margin.

Even if you are in the university of heaven, but you and your advisor clash personalities, it will not be a happy experience. I had a friend whose advisor was adamant on not collaborating with others and who would become visibly upset and irate if my friend discussed the research topic with other academics.

I would even go as far to say, if you are open to other areas of mathematics, to work with an advisor that is not in your current field of interest if you believe you will continuously have fruitful and intellectual interactions.

KTheoryKid

Post by KTheoryKid » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:14 pm

hushus42 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:43 pm
I have heard time and time again, from professors who I’ve conversed with and even more personally my recommenders, that advisor fit is THE most important factor by a large margin.

Even if you are in the university of heaven, but you and your advisor clash personalities, it will not be a happy experience. I had a friend whose advisor was adamant on not collaborating with others and who would become visibly upset and irate if my friend discussed the research topic with other academics.

I would even go as far to say, if you are open to other areas of mathematics, to work with an advisor that is not in your current field of interest if you believe you will continuously have fruitful and intellectual interactions.
But would you choose an elite, famous researcher that is friendly and fair or a pretty good researcher that is very kind, involved with students, and you vibe well?

There are no obvious cons to either regarding fit, but one just happens to be overtly a good person.

hushus42

Post by hushus42 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:58 pm

KTheoryKid wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:14 pm
hushus42 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:43 pm

But would you choose an elite, famous researcher that is friendly and fair or a pretty good researcher that is very kind, involved with students, and you vibe well?

There are no obvious cons to either regarding fit, but one just happens to be overtly a good person.
As I understand it, it depends on your goals after the PhD.

If you want to stay in academia, get tenure, etc. the world famous researcher is the better option due to their connections and unfortunately the natural “prestige” attached. Of course it’s not necessary, but without a doubt your time will be easier in the future. Nevertheless, it matters more how much quality work you produce under each.

Perhaps the less famous one might be a better motivator and will bring the better mathematician out of you.

If your goal is industry, don’t think it matters much and you should choose what makes you happier from a combination of location, funding, quality of life, etc.