2024 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
GRandom
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by GRandom » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:47 am

If anyone receive an offer from Rutgers and decide not to go, please kindly decline. It’s my only waitlist now. :cry:

prudence
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 30, 2023 10:49 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by prudence » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:05 am

Anyone heard back from vanderbilt?

z2xz2
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:24 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by z2xz2 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:44 pm

GRandom wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:47 am
If anyone receive an offer from Rutgers and decide not to go, please kindly decline. It’s my only waitlist now. :cry:
Did they send you a direct email informing you that you were on the waitlist?

lhxu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by lhxu » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:07 pm

If anyone received an offer from USC and decided not to go, please kindly decline.

MathMinds10
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MathMinds10 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:59 pm

Has anyone actually heard back from the AIM waitlist? (either way)

wwz
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:43 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by wwz » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 pm

After an email inquiry, UCSD told me

"You likely will not hear before April 15th so if you have other offers from different institutions, you may want to request an extension on the admissions decision deadline."

Should I ask for an extension to my another offer? I really want to go to UCSD but not sure when and if they will send out more offers. I'm afraid I will waste my time here and make everything complicated. Any suggestions?

donbradman
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:09 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by donbradman » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:14 pm

wwz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 pm
After an email inquiry, UCSD told me

"You likely will not hear before April 15th so if you have other offers from different institutions, you may want to request an extension on the admissions decision deadline."

Should I ask for an extension to my another offer? I really want to go to UCSD but not sure when and if they will send out more offers. I'm afraid I will waste my time here and make everything complicated. Any suggestions?
Wait, do they really grant extensions?

dolbeault
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by dolbeault » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:18 pm

Has anybody emailed UPenn about waitlist status? I got no reply, pretty sure it's a rejection but would really like to confirm since it's the last week.

wwz
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:43 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by wwz » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:23 pm

donbradman wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:14 pm
wwz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 pm
After an email inquiry, UCSD told me

"You likely will not hear before April 15th so if you have other offers from different institutions, you may want to request an extension on the admissions decision deadline."

Should I ask for an extension to my another offer? I really want to go to UCSD but not sure when and if they will send out more offers. I'm afraid I will waste my time here and make everything complicated. Any suggestions?
Wait, do they really grant extensions?
I'm not sure. This is also the first time I heard about this.

MathMinds10
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MathMinds10 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:08 pm

dolbeault wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:18 pm
Has anybody emailed UPenn about waitlist status? I got no reply, pretty sure it's a rejection but would really like to confirm since it's the last week.
I got an email last week confirming that I was on the waitlist (with no prompting). I haven’t heard from them since. I think a few other people on here got the same email, so I assume that was their waitlist notification.

dolbeault
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by dolbeault » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:31 pm

MathMinds10 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:08 pm
dolbeault wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:18 pm
Has anybody emailed UPenn about waitlist status? I got no reply, pretty sure it's a rejection but would really like to confirm since it's the last week.
I got an email last week confirming that I was on the waitlist (with no prompting). I haven’t heard from them since. I think a few other people on here got the same email, so I assume that was their waitlist notification.
Cool, thank you.

GRandom
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by GRandom » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 am

z2xz2 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:44 pm
GRandom wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:47 am
If anyone receive an offer from Rutgers and decide not to go, please kindly decline. It’s my only waitlist now. :cry:
Did they send you a direct email informing you that you were on the waitlist?
I asked them through email. They told me they still can not decide whether to give me an offer, and the decision can be made as late as April 15th.

donbradman
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:09 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by donbradman » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:04 am

Did the University of Minnesota send out any acceptances after 25th January? I couldn't find anything here or in Grad Cafe.

wrinkyb
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:44 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by wrinkyb » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:08 am

is it a good idea to email programs were waitlisted for on April 15th if we’re still interested or is that too late?

MonsieurGalois
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:05 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MonsieurGalois » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:15 pm

Just got admitted to UChicago off the waitlist!!! :D

mindfulmath
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by mindfulmath » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:58 pm

i reached out to upenn and they said this to me:
"We have made all our offers and will not be making any further offers of admission. Unfortunately your name was not among those who were admitted. It may make sense for you to choose among offers that you may currently be holding. The final rejection decisions are in progress and will be reflected on the application portal soon."
so if you haven't heard an offer from them it seems like it's a rejection or waitlist :/

ClassNumberOne
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by ClassNumberOne » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:23 am

Anyone hear back from UIUC waitlist?

GB
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by GB » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:08 pm

am4407 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:47 pm
ru0xffian wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 pm
Any one heard from Stony Brook recently? I emailed them last week and they said they expect more offers to come out this week.
I was accepted for AMS PhD in January but not sure if they've sent them out for pure math
Can I know What program for AMS in Stony brook? Thanks!

am4407
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by am4407 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:39 pm

GB wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:08 pm
am4407 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:47 pm
ru0xffian wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 pm
Any one heard from Stony Brook recently? I emailed them last week and they said they expect more offers to come out this week.
I was accepted for AMS PhD in January but not sure if they've sent them out for pure math
Can I know What program for AMS in Stony brook? Thanks!
Applied and Computational Math. I haven't selected a track yet

am4407
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by am4407 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:43 pm

Has anyone waitlisted at UMich AIM heard anything back yet? I got an email 10 or so days ago saying they would make additional offers soon, but haven't heard anything.

MathMinds10
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MathMinds10 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:45 pm

am4407 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:43 pm
Has anyone waitlisted at UMich AIM heard anything back yet? I got an email 10 or so days ago saying they would make additional offers soon, but haven't heard anything.
Haven't heard anything either.

yellowdoor9
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:00 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by yellowdoor9 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:03 pm

Just got accepted into Utah off of the waitlist!

z2xz2
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:24 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by z2xz2 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:14 pm

Has anyone heard from GT for the ACO program?

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MadMenDoMath » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm

yellowdoor9 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:03 pm
Just got accepted into Utah off of the waitlist!
Congratulations 🎉

jjx73563
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by jjx73563 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:55 am

Deleted
Last edited by jjx73563 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MathMinds10
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MathMinds10 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:38 pm

Has anyone been asked for updated transcripts by a program? Just trying to decide if that's neutral or a good sign.

schakraborty091199
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by schakraborty091199 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:51 pm

MathMinds10 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:38 pm
Has anyone been asked for updated transcripts by a program? Just trying to decide if that's neutral or a good sign.
Definitely a good sign. Michigan State asked for official and then sent an acceptance.

Martenjool
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:20 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by Martenjool » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:34 pm

MathMinds10 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:38 pm
Has anyone been asked for updated transcripts by a program? Just trying to decide if that's neutral or a good sign.
Was that from AIM?

palneto
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:33 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by palneto » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:16 pm

Hey guys,

If any of you have a Utah offer that you don't want to accept, could you please decline it? I am on the top of the waitlist and you conveying your decision to Utah may just be the thing that helps me get in.

Thanks so much!

notgoodnotbad
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:38 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by notgoodnotbad » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:21 pm

If you have an offer from UNC and are planning on attending elsewhere, please decline your offer ASAP. I am the top candidate on the UNC waitlist. I'd be extremely grateful for this, as UNC is my dream school.

schakraborty091199
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by schakraborty091199 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:34 pm

If you've an offer from ESAM NW and you do not plan on attending, please decline. It is my dream school and I would love to go there.

lhuynh
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:06 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by lhuynh » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Can we expect any school to send an offer of admission after 15th April? I really want to go to UCSD or UMD :(

rz2005
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:40 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by rz2005 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:14 pm

Anyone have recommendations for books to read for combinatorics and graph theory. For reference, I am a freshman in undergrad; I'm just trying to get familiar with the topics as I'm participating in an REU this summer related.

frame
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:19 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by frame » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:09 am

rz2005 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:14 pm
Anyone have recommendations for books to read for combinatorics and graph theory. For reference, I am a freshman in undergrad; I'm just trying to get familiar with the topics as I'm participating in an REU this summer related.
I recommend A Walk Through Combinatorics by Bóna.

rz2005
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:40 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by rz2005 » Fri May 03, 2024 4:41 pm

Also, does anyone have a good suggestion for linear algebra. Looking for a concise book with key concepts and not too much application, unless in combinatorics.

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by MadMenDoMath » Fri May 03, 2024 7:15 pm

rz2005 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:41 pm
Also, does anyone have a good suggestion for linear algebra. Looking for a concise book with key concepts and not too much application, unless in combinatorics.
I recommend Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler. Freely available here https://linear.axler.net/LADR4e.pdf

rz2005
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:40 am

Re: 2024 Sweat Thread

Post by rz2005 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 am

Can someone recommend me a book on graph theory



Post Reply