2024 REU Programs

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
MarchMan
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 pm

2024 REU Programs

Post by MarchMan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm

Good luck everyone!

Year: Third year
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.985
Major: Mathematics & Physics
Minors: none
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: 2 previous REUs, one paper close to submission
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, PDE, ODE , Discrete Math, Abstract Algebra I, Real Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis,
(Grad) - Diff Geom 1 and 2, Analysis 1 and 2, ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra 1 and 2,
Other: Recs from past 2 REU mentors

Applied :

U-Michigan
UT-Tyler
DIMACS
U Minn Twin-Cities PDE
U Minn Twin-Cities Algebra
Baruch
SUAMI
Georgia Tech
U Maryland
Iowa State
U-Chicago Waitlist 2/19
UVA
SUMRY
U Minn Duluth Rejected 2/22 345 aps for 9 spots..
Tufts VERSEIM
Last edited by MarchMan on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

user910275
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by user910275 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 pm

Year: Sophomore
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.8
Major: Math & Physics
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: particle physics research at a national lab, independent math research (with faculty member)
Coursework: (Undergrad) Linear Algebra, Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis, Vector Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Galois Theory, Differential Geometry, Measure-Theoretic Probability
(Grad) Graduate Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis
Other: DRP, letter writers should be relatively strong hopefully

Applied:

Ohio State ROMUS
Fields Institute
Rutgers DIMACS
Williams SMALL
Yale SUMRY
Michigan
UChicago REJECTED 2/18
UW Bothell
RIPS ACCEPTED!!! 2/21
ICERM ACCEPTED!!! 2/26
UMN Twin Cities
UMN Duluth REJECTED 2/22
Baruch
CMU Geometry and Topology
CMU SUAMI
Texas A&M
Maryland
Tufts VERSEIM
Last edited by user910275 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

padicsrule
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:49 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by padicsrule » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:58 pm

Undergrad Institution: R2 School
Major(s): Mathematics
GPA: 3.16
Math GPA: 3.9


Research Experience: Combinatorics research with a professor at my school spoken at a few conferences, and one paper submitted.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA'd two sections of linear algebra one proof-based based and one computational.
Math Courses Taken: Undergrad: Calc 1-3, linear algebra, ODE, probability, algebra 1, analysis 1, algebraic geometry, research, and thesis.

Graduate: Optimization, numerical analysis, abstract algebra, advanced linear algebra, and real analysis.


Applied:
Baruch
Georgia Tech
PCMI
U Chicago Rejected
U Michigan
Minnesota Twin Cities
SUMRY
Clemson
Indiana
Texas A&M
Texas Tyler
Texas State
U Mich Dearborn
TUFTS
Last edited by padicsrule on Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thereexistsnoepsilon
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:57 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by thereexistsnoepsilon » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:10 am

Year: Junior
Institution: R1
GPA: 3.88
Math GPA: 3.94
Major: Applied Math
Research: 2 projects -> 1 preprint
Coursework: Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis 1 & 2, Numerical Analysis, Math Modeling, Linear Algebra, Stochastic Modeling, ODEs, Probability/Stats, Discrete Math, Proofs, Calc 1-3, Grad Numerical, Grad Special Topics

Applied to:

Oden Institute
Icahn
AMGEN
SUMRY
UCLA CAM
Michigan
RIPS
UMN Twin Cities
SIAM Simons Program
MSRI-UP
Summer@ICERM
ISB SURE
Brown
Last edited by thereexistsnoepsilon on Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

hilbertspaceisfake
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:46 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by hilbertspaceisfake » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Year: Sophomore
Institution: Top 30 US
GPA: 4.0
Major: Mathematics
Minors: None
Type of Student: Domestic White male
Research: Less than I'd like
Coursework: (Undergrad) Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis I and II, Abstract Algebra I and II, Representation Theory
(Grad) Real Analysis, Functional Analysis
Other: My recommenders are quite well known in their respective fields and are well known at some of the departments hosting some of the REUs I am applying to. One recommender in particular is perhaps well known in the broader mathematics community. I think these letters are very good.

Applied :
OSU ROMUS
UT Tyler
Williams SMALL
UM Twin Cities
CMU Topology
UVa Topology
Texas A&M
UMaryland ACCEPTED!!! 2/26
Yale SUMRY
Clemson University
Texas State
RIT
UM Dearborn
Towson University
San Diego State
IUB
Texas A&M Commerce
Tufts VERSEIM
Last edited by hilbertspaceisfake on Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fideltario
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:53 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by fideltario » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:56 am

I saw on Reddit that in the past years Duluth sends out rejections really fast like on 2 days after the application deadline. Does anyone know if they’re fast with acceptance too (ik chances are extremely slim)? Or just rejections?

jacobmatthews285
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:15 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by jacobmatthews285 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:18 pm

user910275 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 pm
Fields Institute
Let me know when you hear back from them. What project are you interested in doing?

user910275
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by user910275 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:05 pm

jacobmatthews285 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:18 pm
user910275 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 pm
Fields Institute
Let me know when you hear back from them. What project are you interested in doing?
Project 9, I think (the combinatorial identities using mathematical physics). What about you?

galoisdream
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by galoisdream » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:40 pm

Anyone know if duluth acceptances are out? Someone in reddit said they got in but then their account got deleted lol

themathguy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by themathguy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:11 pm

Anyone heard back from the Fields FUSRP yet? It’s already past mid Feb

jacobmatthews285
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:15 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by jacobmatthews285 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:03 pm

themathguy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:11 pm
Anyone heard back from the Fields FUSRP yet? It’s already past mid Feb
I got an acceptance email

galoisdream
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by galoisdream » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:55 am

Year: Third year
Institution: Ivy
GPA: 3.98
Major: Mathematics
Minors: none
Type of Student: international male
Research: A previous REU which resulted in a paper that has been submitted; research project at home institution that has led to a paper that is in progress
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Linear Algebra, Enumerative Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Algebraic Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Calculus on Manifolds, Probability
(Grad): Algebraic Topology, Galois Theory, Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis, Geometric Combinatorics, Representation Theory, Advanced Combinatorics, Number Theory
Other: rec letters from previous REU mentor and advisor at home institution; one of them is well-known in their field; both should be relatively strong letters

Applied:
- Baruch
- Duluth Rejected 2/22
- UMN Twin Cities Combinatorics and Algebra Accepted 2/20
- SMALL
- CMU
- IST Austria
- FUSRP

themathguy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by themathguy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:23 pm

user910275 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 pm
Year: Sophomore
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.8
Major: Math & Physics
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: particle physics research at a national lab, independent math research (with faculty member)
Coursework: (Undergrad) Linear Algebra, Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis, Vector Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Galois Theory, Differential Geometry, Measure-Theoretic Probability
(Grad) Graduate Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis
Other: DRP, letter writers should be relatively strong hopefully

Applied:

Ohio State ROMUS
Fields Institute
Rutgers DIMACS
Williams SMALL
Yale SUMRY
Michigan
UChicago REJECTED 2/18
UW Bothell
RIPS ACCEPTED!!! 2/21
ICERM
UMN Twin Cities
UMN Duluth REJECTED 2/22
Baruch
CMU Geometry and Topology
CMU SUAMI
Texas A&M
Maryland
Tufts VERSEIM
When did you submit your application to RIPS? Do you know if there’s gonna be a second wave of acceptances?

user910275
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by user910275 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:29 pm

themathguy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:23 pm
user910275 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 pm
Year: Sophomore
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.8
Major: Math & Physics
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: particle physics research at a national lab, independent math research (with faculty member)
Coursework: (Undergrad) Linear Algebra, Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis, Vector Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Galois Theory, Differential Geometry, Measure-Theoretic Probability
(Grad) Graduate Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis
Other: DRP, letter writers should be relatively strong hopefully

Applied:

Ohio State ROMUS
Fields Institute
Rutgers DIMACS
Williams SMALL
Yale SUMRY
Michigan
UChicago REJECTED 2/18
UW Bothell
RIPS ACCEPTED!!! 2/21
ICERM
UMN Twin Cities
UMN Duluth REJECTED 2/22
Baruch
CMU Geometry and Topology
CMU SUAMI
Texas A&M
Maryland
Tufts VERSEIM
When did you submit your application to RIPS? Do you know if there’s gonna be a second wave of acceptances?
I applied January 29th. I think there will be a second wave of acceptance; I have until February 28th to accept/reject, so a second wave might be in March. I will probably ask for an extension, though, given that a lot of programs haven't come out yet.

user910275
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by user910275 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:44 pm

galoisdream wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:55 am
Year: Third year
Institution: Ivy
GPA: 3.98
Major: Mathematics
Minors: none
Type of Student: international male
Research: A previous REU which resulted in a paper that has been submitted; research project at home institution that has led to a paper that is in progress
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Linear Algebra, Enumerative Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Algebraic Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Calculus on Manifolds, Probability
(Grad): Algebraic Topology, Galois Theory, Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis, Geometric Combinatorics, Representation Theory, Advanced Combinatorics, Number Theory
Other: rec letters from previous REU mentor and advisor at home institution; one of them is well-known in their field; both should be relatively strong letters

Applied:
- Baruch
- Duluth Rejected 2/22
- UMN Twin Cities Combinatorics and Algebra Accepted 2/20
- SMALL
- CMU
- IST Austria
- FUSRP
Congrats on getting into UMN Twin Cities! If I may ask, when did you submit your application? I'm wondering when/if they will be sending out a second wave of offers (assuming they've already sent out all the first round of offers).

galoisdream
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by galoisdream » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:09 pm

user910275 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:44 pm
galoisdream wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:55 am
Year: Third year
Institution: Ivy
GPA: 3.98
Major: Mathematics
Minors: none
Type of Student: international male
Research: A previous REU which resulted in a paper that has been submitted; research project at home institution that has led to a paper that is in progress
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Linear Algebra, Enumerative Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Algebraic Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Calculus on Manifolds, Probability
(Grad): Algebraic Topology, Galois Theory, Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis, Geometric Combinatorics, Representation Theory, Advanced Combinatorics, Number Theory
Other: rec letters from previous REU mentor and advisor at home institution; one of them is well-known in their field; both should be relatively strong letters

Applied:
- Baruch
- Duluth Rejected 2/22
- UMN Twin Cities Combinatorics and Algebra Accepted 2/20
- SMALL
- CMU
- IST Austria
- FUSRP
Congrats on getting into UMN Twin Cities! If I may ask, when did you submit your application? I'm wondering when/if they will be sending out a second wave of offers (assuming they've already sent out all the first round of offers).
Thanks! I applied on the 13th of February, the day before the deadline (I was procrastinating lol). I am pretty sure that they will only send a second wave if someone accepted in the first wave declines the offer. If they do send another wave, the date will depend on when the students reply

themathguy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by themathguy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:10 pm

Anyone heard anything back from the UMN Complex System REU?

fideltario
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:53 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by fideltario » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:43 am

galoisdream wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:09 pm
user910275 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:44 pm
galoisdream wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:55 am
Year: Third year
Institution: Ivy
GPA: 3.98
Major: Mathematics
Minors: none
Type of Student: international male
Research: A previous REU which resulted in a paper that has been submitted; research project at home institution that has led to a paper that is in progress
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Linear Algebra, Enumerative Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Algebraic Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Calculus on Manifolds, Probability
(Grad): Algebraic Topology, Galois Theory, Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis, Geometric Combinatorics, Representation Theory, Advanced Combinatorics, Number Theory
Other: rec letters from previous REU mentor and advisor at home institution; one of them is well-known in their field; both should be relatively strong letters

Applied:
- Baruch
- Duluth Rejected 2/22
- UMN Twin Cities Combinatorics and Algebra Accepted 2/20
- SMALL
- CMU
- IST Austria
- FUSRP
Congrats on getting into UMN Twin Cities! If I may ask, when did you submit your application? I'm wondering when/if they will be sending out a second wave of offers (assuming they've already sent out all the first round of offers).
Thanks! I applied on the 13th of February, the day before the deadline (I was procrastinating lol). I am pretty sure that they will only send a second wave if someone accepted in the first wave declines the offer. If they do send another wave, the date will depend on when the students reply
hey congrats on UMN twin cities! can I ask when you have to respond by?

fideltario
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:53 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by fideltario » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:44 am

MarchMan wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm
Good luck everyone!

Year: Third year
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.985
Major: Mathematics & Physics
Minors: none
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: 2 previous REUs, one paper close to submission
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, PDE, ODE , Discrete Math, Abstract Algebra I, Real Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis,
(Grad) - Diff Geom 1 and 2, Analysis 1 and 2, ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra 1 and 2,
Other: Recs from past 2 REU mentors

Applied :

U-Michigan
UT-Tyler
DIMACS
U Minn Twin-Cities PDE
U Minn Twin-Cities Algebra
Baruch
SUAMI
Georgia Tech
U Maryland
Iowa State
U-Chicago Waitlist 2/19
UVA
SUMRY
U Minn Duluth Rejected 2/22 345 aps for 9 spots..
Tufts VERSEIM
hey! can I ask how did you know that duluth has 345 apps for 9 spots? thanks!!

user910275
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by user910275 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:28 am

fideltario wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:44 am
MarchMan wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm
Good luck everyone!

Year: Third year
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.985
Major: Mathematics & Physics
Minors: none
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: 2 previous REUs, one paper close to submission
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, PDE, ODE , Discrete Math, Abstract Algebra I, Real Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis,
(Grad) - Diff Geom 1 and 2, Analysis 1 and 2, ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra 1 and 2,
Other: Recs from past 2 REU mentors

Applied :

U-Michigan
UT-Tyler
DIMACS
U Minn Twin-Cities PDE
U Minn Twin-Cities Algebra
Baruch
SUAMI
Georgia Tech
U Maryland
Iowa State
U-Chicago Waitlist 2/19
UVA
SUMRY
U Minn Duluth Rejected 2/22 345 aps for 9 spots..
Tufts VERSEIM
hey! can I ask how did you know that duluth has 345 apps for 9 spots? thanks!!
Gallian said there were 335 apps for 9 spots in the rejection message.

galoisdream
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by galoisdream » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:44 am

fideltario wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:43 am
galoisdream wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:09 pm
user910275 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:44 pm


Congrats on getting into UMN Twin Cities! If I may ask, when did you submit your application? I'm wondering when/if they will be sending out a second wave of offers (assuming they've already sent out all the first round of offers).
Thanks! I applied on the 13th of February, the day before the deadline (I was procrastinating lol). I am pretty sure that they will only send a second wave if someone accepted in the first wave declines the offer. If they do send another wave, the date will depend on when the students reply
hey congrats on UMN twin cities! can I ask when you have to respond by?
March 8th

ZH
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:51 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by ZH » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:57 pm

Anyone got news from Baruch?

rz2005
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:40 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by rz2005 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 am

I got my acceptance to SMALL about a week ago. I have been struggling with deciding to go or not. I am currently a freshman. I do not feel like I have a very strong math background, at least not to the extent of a REU. I've only done stuff up to basic calculus and linear algebra. I would love if anyone could provide some insight into whether I should accept my offer. Thanks.

fear_of_sheep
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:47 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by fear_of_sheep » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:10 am

rz2005 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 am
I got my acceptance to SMALL about a week ago. I have been struggling with deciding to go or not. I am currently a freshman. I do not feel like I have a very strong math background, at least not to the extent of a REU. I've only done stuff up to basic calculus and linear algebra. I would love if anyone could provide some insight into whether I should accept my offer. Thanks.
How do you think you will get a strong background if you don't go to a program like SMALL? It's a no brainer to accept IMO if feeling ill-prepared is your only concern. You might run into some insecurity/ego issues if you feel everyone else is better than you -- try to find some way to ignore those feelings, or at least to be comfortable feeling stupid. You can only get better if you enter situations where most people are stronger than you!

cosmo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:23 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by cosmo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:19 am

rz2005 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 am
I got my acceptance to SMALL about a week ago. I have been struggling with deciding to go or not. I am currently a freshman. I do not feel like I have a very strong math background, at least not to the extent of a REU. I've only done stuff up to basic calculus and linear algebra. I would love if anyone could provide some insight into whether I should accept my offer. Thanks.
You should definitely go. It’s a great place to build background and figure out if you like math research and want to pursue grad school. I’m going to a T10 grad school next year and I still feel like I don’t have enough background—so you’re not alone :).

eamath
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:54 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by eamath » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:51 am

rz2005 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 am
I got my acceptance to SMALL about a week ago. I have been struggling with deciding to go or not. I am currently a freshman. I do not feel like I have a very strong math background, at least not to the extent of a REU. I've only done stuff up to basic calculus and linear algebra. I would love if anyone could provide some insight into whether I should accept my offer. Thanks.

You should absolutely go to SMALL. They are there to teach you and expose you to what math research is like. It is not a cut throat environment where people are constantly graded and judged. It is collaborative, supportive and social. Students generally work in teams with professors, and it is common to have a range in age and experiences on the team (e.g. 1st/2nd years mixed with 3rd/4th years). A lot of incredibly interesting work can be done with just calculus and linear algebra. Anything else needed they will help catch you up to speed on. They accepted you fully understanding the amount of math you have had to date.Please go and have a great time.

themathguy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by themathguy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:21 pm

MarchMan wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm
Good luck everyone!

Year: Third year
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.985
Major: Mathematics & Physics
Minors: none
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: 2 previous REUs, one paper close to submission
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, PDE, ODE , Discrete Math, Abstract Algebra I, Real Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis,
(Grad) - Diff Geom 1 and 2, Analysis 1 and 2, ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra 1 and 2,
Other: Recs from past 2 REU mentors

Applied :

U-Michigan
UT-Tyler
DIMACS
U Minn Twin-Cities PDE
U Minn Twin-Cities Algebra
Baruch
SUAMI
Georgia Tech
U Maryland
Iowa State
U-Chicago Waitlist 2/19
UVA
SUMRY
U Minn Duluth Rejected 2/22 345 aps for 9 spots..
Tufts VERSEIM
Did you hear anything back from Iowa State? Which project did you apply for?

user910275
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by user910275 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:18 pm

hilbertspaceisfake wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:57 pm
Year: Sophomore
Institution: Top 30 US
GPA: 4.0
Major: Mathematics
Minors: None
Type of Student: Domestic White male
Research: Less than I'd like
Coursework: (Undergrad) Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis I and II, Abstract Algebra I and II, Representation Theory
(Grad) Real Analysis, Functional Analysis
Other: My recommenders are quite well known in their respective fields and are well known at some of the departments hosting some of the REUs I am applying to. One recommender in particular is perhaps well known in the broader mathematics community. I think these letters are very good.

Applied :
OSU ROMUS
UT Tyler
Williams SMALL
UM Twin Cities
CMU Topology
UVa Topology
Texas A&M
UMaryland ACCEPTED!!! 2/26
Yale SUMRY
Clemson University
Texas State
RIT
UM Dearborn
Towson University
San Diego State
IUB
Texas A&M Commerce
Tufts VERSEIM
Congrats on getting into UMaryland! If I may ask, what project did you apply for?

hilbertspaceisfake
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:46 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by hilbertspaceisfake » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:54 pm

user910275 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:18 pm
hilbertspaceisfake wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:57 pm
Year: Sophomore
Institution: Top 30 US
GPA: 4.0
Major: Mathematics
Minors: None
Type of Student: Domestic White male
Research: Less than I'd like
Coursework: (Undergrad) Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis I and II, Abstract Algebra I and II, Representation Theory
(Grad) Real Analysis, Functional Analysis
Other: My recommenders are quite well known in their respective fields and are well known at some of the departments hosting some of the REUs I am applying to. One recommender in particular is perhaps well known in the broader mathematics community. I think these letters are very good.

Applied :
OSU ROMUS
UT Tyler
Williams SMALL
UM Twin Cities
CMU Topology
UVa Topology
Texas A&M
UMaryland ACCEPTED!!! 2/26
Yale SUMRY
Clemson University
Texas State
RIT
UM Dearborn
Towson University
San Diego State
IUB
Texas A&M Commerce
Tufts VERSEIM
Congrats on getting into UMaryland! If I may ask, what project did you apply for?
The project on the interaction between complex and convex geometry! :D

MarchMan
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by MarchMan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:59 pm

themathguy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:21 pm
MarchMan wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm
Good luck everyone!

Year: Third year
Institution: Top 10 US
GPA: 3.985
Major: Mathematics & Physics
Minors: none
Type of Student: domestic Asian male
Research: 2 previous REUs, one paper close to submission
Coursework: (Undergrad) - Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, PDE, ODE , Discrete Math, Abstract Algebra I, Real Analysis I and II, Complex Analysis,
(Grad) - Diff Geom 1 and 2, Analysis 1 and 2, ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra 1 and 2,
Other: Recs from past 2 REU mentors

Applied :

U-Michigan
UT-Tyler
DIMACS
U Minn Twin-Cities PDE
U Minn Twin-Cities Algebra
Baruch
SUAMI
Georgia Tech
U Maryland
Iowa State
U-Chicago Waitlist 2/19
UVA
SUMRY
U Minn Duluth Rejected 2/22 345 aps for 9 spots..
Tufts VERSEIM
Did you hear anything back from Iowa State? Which project did you apply for?
Nothing yet, I applied to the distance matrix project

TempoMan
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:09 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by TempoMan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 pm

I got an offer from DIMACS on 2/19. Do any other accepted students want to talk?

fluffpark
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:13 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by fluffpark » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:26 pm

TempoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 pm
I got an offer from DIMACS on 2/19. Do any other accepted students want to talk?
Damn, didn't know DIMACS decisions were already out, it was one of my top choices too. Did you already get matched with a project? Also, did you apply for the CS projects or the math projects?

TempoMan
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:09 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by TempoMan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm

fluffpark wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:26 pm
TempoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 pm
I got an offer from DIMACS on 2/19. Do any other accepted students want to talk?
Damn, didn't know DIMACS decisions were already out, it was one of my top choices too. Did you already get matched with a project? Also, did you apply for the CS projects or the math projects?
It was the math program, I got matched. Tbh, I'm not sure if they sent out all of the offers, there was some ambiguity in the communications I had. I didn't mean to scare anyone.

fluffpark
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:13 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by fluffpark » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:35 pm

TempoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm
fluffpark wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:26 pm
TempoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 pm
I got an offer from DIMACS on 2/19. Do any other accepted students want to talk?
Damn, didn't know DIMACS decisions were already out, it was one of my top choices too. Did you already get matched with a project? Also, did you apply for the CS projects or the math projects?
It was the math program, I got matched. Tbh, I'm not sure if they sent out all of the offers, there was some ambiguity in the communications I had. I didn't mean to scare anyone.
Ah no worries, huge congratulations though! I'll keep hoping until they send me an actual rejection lol. Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what project you got matched to?

TempoMan
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:09 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by TempoMan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:42 pm

fluffpark wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:35 pm
TempoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm
fluffpark wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:26 pm


Damn, didn't know DIMACS decisions were already out, it was one of my top choices too. Did you already get matched with a project? Also, did you apply for the CS projects or the math projects?
It was the math program, I got matched. Tbh, I'm not sure if they sent out all of the offers, there was some ambiguity in the communications I had. I didn't mean to scare anyone.
Ah no worries, huge congratulations though! I'll keep hoping until they send me an actual rejection lol. Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what project you got matched to?
Thanks! I got into the Fourier analysis / ergodic theory / combinatorics project.

thatonenerd
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by thatonenerd » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:35 am

Has anyone heard from UCLA CAM, UMich, Georgia Tech, or Baruch?

PhilipYMY
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:27 am

Re: 2024 REU Programs

Post by PhilipYMY » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:34 am

thatonenerd wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:35 am
Has anyone heard from UCLA CAM, UMich, Georgia Tech, or Baruch?
I heard that UMich has sent out some offers.



Post Reply