Final Decisions - 2024

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
schakraborty091199
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Final Decisions - 2024

Post by schakraborty091199 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:08 pm

Still deciding. Narrowed it down to Notre Dame ACMS unless I get off the Northwestern Shortlist. What about everyone else?

dolbeault
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by dolbeault » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:21 pm

Almost certainly UC Irvine for pure math! Very excited about it.

coffeebeanbag
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:54 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by coffeebeanbag » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:49 pm

Yet to hear back from multiple waitlists lol.

lhxu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by lhxu » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:58 am

still waiting to get off the waitlist :shock:

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MadMenDoMath » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:34 am

Waiting to hear from multiple waitlists...

vigi
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:29 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by vigi » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:54 am

deciding between CUNY and UPenn. Both packages are similar for me since i live in NYC.

IsaacNewton
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by IsaacNewton » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:16 am

vigi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:54 am
deciding between CUNY and UPenn. Both packages are similar for me since i live in NYC.
Upenn is better university so choose it please. You will also do a favor for me since I am waitlisted by CUNY.

MathMinds10
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MathMinds10 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm

vigi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:54 am
deciding between CUNY and UPenn. Both packages are similar for me since i live in NYC.
Did you get an official offer from UPenn since the email yesterday? Or just deciding based on the email?

jgroot
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:34 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by jgroot » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 pm

Probably go with Gatech pure math. But still want to hear from tamu, because it would be closer to my GF… Though I suspect that GaTech is a way better school?

TheBlackMathGuy
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by TheBlackMathGuy » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:58 pm

jgroot wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 pm
Probably go with Gatech pure math. But still want to hear from tamu, because it would be closer to my GF… Though I suspect that GaTech is a way better school?
GT is notably better in combinatorics & applied math. Outside of those areas, though, I'd say they and TAMU are pretty comparable. (Though if you want to study number theory, for example, I don't think GT has many faculty in that area.)

rudeus
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by rudeus » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:56 am

I am really struggling to choose between Northwestern and UC Berkeley.

schakraborty091199
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by schakraborty091199 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:26 am

rudeus wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:56 am
I am really struggling to choose between Northwestern and UC Berkeley.
My current academic advisor went there and went to do a postdoc at Harvard and was on tenure track there before moving to UW Madison because of his wife and he is on tenure track here with a super successful lab. But honestly if you are stuck between those two definitely consider external factors like weather, stipend, location etc. as well since you have to live there for at least 5 years.

rudeus
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by rudeus » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:08 pm

schakraborty091199 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:26 am
rudeus wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:56 am
I am really struggling to choose between Northwestern and UC Berkeley.
My current academic advisor went there and went to do a postdoc at Harvard and was on tenure track there before moving to UW Madison because of his wife and he is on tenure track here with a super successful lab. But honestly if you are stuck between those two definitely consider external factors like weather, stipend, location etc. as well since you have to live there for at least 5 years.
Thanks! Did your advisor go to Northwestern or Berkeley?

schakraborty091199
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by schakraborty091199 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:29 pm

rudeus wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:08 pm
schakraborty091199 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:26 am
rudeus wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:56 am
I am really struggling to choose between Northwestern and UC Berkeley.
My current academic advisor went there and went to do a postdoc at Harvard and was on tenure track there before moving to UW Madison because of his wife and he is on tenure track here with a super successful lab. But honestly if you are stuck between those two definitely consider external factors like weather, stipend, location etc. as well since you have to live there for at least 5 years.
Thanks! Did your advisor go to Northwestern or Berkeley?
Sorry should have specified LOL he went to Berkeley.

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MadMenDoMath » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 pm

Joining UChicago finally. All the best to everyone!

MathDad
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MathDad » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm

MadMenDoMath wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 pm
Joining UChicago finally. All the best to everyone!
Where are you declining offers at?

jgroot
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:34 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by jgroot » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 pm

TheBlackMathGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:58 pm
jgroot wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 pm
Probably go with Gatech pure math. But still want to hear from tamu, because it would be closer to my GF… Though I suspect that GaTech is a way better school?
GT is notably better in combinatorics & applied math. Outside of those areas, though, I'd say they and TAMU are pretty comparable. (Though if you want to study number theory, for example, I don't think GT has many faculty in that area.)
Thank you for your advice! I am actually interested in mathematical physics. I think that in this field tamu is also pretty competitive — is that a correct perception, in any sense?

ClassNumberOne
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:10 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by ClassNumberOne » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:16 pm

Having trouble deciding between Maryland and Utah. Hoping to do number theory (either algebraic or analytic), though I am okay with doing more algebra-related topics like algebraic geometry (which Utah is strong at). To my knowledge, neither school is particularly strong in number theory.

Any advice?

MathDad
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MathDad » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:20 am

ClassNumberOne wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:16 pm
Having trouble deciding between Maryland and Utah. Hoping to do number theory (either algebraic or analytic), though I am okay with doing more algebra-related topics like algebraic geometry (which Utah is strong at). To my knowledge, neither school is particularly strong in number theory.

Any advice?
The skiing in Utah is incredible. Utah is pretty safe too.

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MadMenDoMath » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 am

Caltech, UBC Vancouver.

MathDad wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm
MadMenDoMath wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 pm
Joining UChicago finally. All the best to everyone!
Where are you declining offers at?

yjj82333akdc
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by yjj82333akdc » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 am

Thank you so much for declining the offer of Caltech, I am still on their waitlist. Do you do algebra or analysis?

MadMenDoMath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 am
Caltech, UBC Vancouver.

MathDad wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm
MadMenDoMath wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 pm
Joining UChicago finally. All the best to everyone!
Where are you declining offers at?

IsaacNewton
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by IsaacNewton » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 am

If someone has better offer than CUNY and plans to go there please decline the offer from CUNY.

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MadMenDoMath » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am

I do algebra (NT). FYI if you do NT: Vesselin Dimitrov is joining Caltech from this fall.


yjj82333akdc wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 am
Thank you so much for declining the offer of Caltech, I am still on their waitlist. Do you do algebra or analysis?

MadMenDoMath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 am
Caltech, UBC Vancouver.

MathDad wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm


Where are you declining offers at?

lhxu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by lhxu » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:57 am

If someone has better offer than USC and plans to go there please decline the offer from USC. Many thanks qwq.

yjj82333akdc
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by yjj82333akdc » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:26 am

Thanks bro! I am doing analysis and pde. Wish you all the best in Chicago.
MadMenDoMath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am
I do algebra (NT). FYI if you do NT: Vesselin Dimitrov is joining Caltech from this fall.


yjj82333akdc wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 am
Thank you so much for declining the offer of Caltech, I am still on their waitlist. Do you do algebra or analysis?

MadMenDoMath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 am
Caltech, UBC Vancouver.



Euler29
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:48 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by Euler29 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 am

Does anyone know about the status of second round offers in Purdue? I contacted them but didn't receive any response.

Conanthelibrarian
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by Conanthelibrarian » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:57 am

Euler29 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 am
Does anyone know about the status of second round offers in Purdue? I contacted them but didn't receive any response.
Same here.

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MadMenDoMath » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:05 am

Thanks! All the best to you too!
yjj82333akdc wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:26 am
Thanks bro! I am doing analysis and pde. Wish you all the best in Chicago.
MadMenDoMath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am
I do algebra (NT). FYI if you do NT: Vesselin Dimitrov is joining Caltech from this fall.


yjj82333akdc wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 am
Thank you so much for declining the offer of Caltech, I am still on their waitlist. Do you do algebra or analysis?



hardchoicesughh
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:57 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by hardchoicesughh » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:01 am

I'm tossing up between Chicago, Berkeley, and Warwick for Number Theory. Probably won't stay in the UK, so more between the first two. What do other people think of Chicago vs Berkeley? Especially for more Langlands-y type stuff?

MadMenDoMath
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MadMenDoMath » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:13 am

I'd choose Berkeley for more Langlands-y type. At Chicago, Emerton and Akhil are doing condensed mathematics and Calegari is more into Galois Deformation. But Berkeley has Tony Feng, Sug Woo Shin, Edward Frenkel etc. who are doing Langlands-y type things.

hardchoicesughh wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:01 am
I'm tossing up between Chicago, Berkeley, and Warwick for Number Theory. Probably won't stay in the UK, so more between the first two. What do other people think of Chicago vs Berkeley? Especially for more Langlands-y type stuff?

dormordo1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:29 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by dormordo1 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:31 am

I'm deciding between Virginia and Purdue at the moment. I'm confused as to which department is better overall, and people have told me Purdue's department is pretty good for number theory, which is what I want to do.

dormordo1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:29 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by dormordo1 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:34 am

Euler29 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 am
Does anyone know about the status of second round offers in Purdue? I contacted them but didn't receive any response.
They sent out a second round offer to me a few days back. Their offer dates seem fairly scattered from what I've seen here, so you can still hold out some hope I guess.

yellowdoor9
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:00 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by yellowdoor9 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:56 am

dormordo1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:31 am
I'm deciding between Virginia and Purdue at the moment. I'm confused as to which department is better overall, and people have told me Purdue's department is pretty good for number theory, which is what I want to do.
I think both departments are good. I hear Purdue is probably better for number theory and overall, although Ken Ono is at Virginia
Last edited by yellowdoor9 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dormordo1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:29 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by dormordo1 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:44 pm

yellowdoor9 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:56 am
dormordo1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:31 am
I'm deciding between Virginia and Purdue at the moment. I'm confused as to which department is better overall, and people have told me Purdue's department is pretty good for number theory, which is what I want to do.
I think both departments are good. I feel Purdue is probably better for number theory and overall, although Ken Ono is at Virginia
I mailed Ken Ono, he isn't taking students anymore.

aerh
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by aerh » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:48 pm

deleted
Last edited by aerh on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inaicecream
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by inaicecream » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:13 pm

Is anyone going to the Summer School at Gatech?

JohnNash
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:41 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by JohnNash » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:12 am

I have declined offers from Binghamton and LSU.
Good luck to everyone who are waitlisted by them.

MonsieurGalois
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:05 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MonsieurGalois » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:19 am

Just committed to UChicago!

1q2w2w21wq
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:14 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by 1q2w2w21wq » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 pm

less than 5 days left, I am still struggling with making a final decision. Deciding among USC, Notre Dame, and IU Bloomington. Interested in Analysis/PDE (Fluids). It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can give some insights. :shock:

yjj82333akdc
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by yjj82333akdc » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:35 pm

The same field. Recommend UsC, Igor, Susan, Yu Deng, Jang, a lot of people working in pde and fluid. Moreover, better weather and stipend.
1q2w2w21wq wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 pm
less than 5 days left, I am still struggling with making a final decision. Deciding among USC, Notre Dame, and IU Bloomington. Interested in Analysis/PDE (Fluids). It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can give some insights. :shock:

jennylws57@gmail.com
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by jennylws57@gmail.com » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:30 am

:D
Last edited by jennylws57@gmail.com on Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lhxu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 am

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by lhxu » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:03 am

1q2w2w21wq wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 pm
less than 5 days left, I am still struggling with making a final decision. Deciding among USC, Notre Dame, and IU Bloomington. Interested in Analysis/PDE (Fluids). It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can give some insights. :shock:
I don't see any reason of not choosing ND, e.g student support, research environment.

jgroot
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:34 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by jgroot » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:02 pm

jgroot wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 pm
Probably go with Gatech pure math. But still want to hear from tamu, because it would be closer to my GF… Though I suspect that GaTech is a way better school?
Just set up my final mind to go to Atlanta and join in Gatech.

dolbeault
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by dolbeault » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:03 pm

dolbeault wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:21 pm
Almost certainly UC Irvine for pure math! Very excited about it.
Officially committed to UCI. Goodbye forever, mathematicsgre.com!

IsaacNewton
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by IsaacNewton » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

Declined offer from University of missouri.
Wish you luck.

MathMinds10
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by MathMinds10 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:15 pm

I just committed to UMich AIM for the fall! Thank you all so much for keeping us all updated on your admissions processes -- this was so scary and frustrating, but this forum really made me feel like we are all going through it together. I appreciate you all and hope everyone is happy with their final outcome. Congrats guys, we did it!

1q2w2w21wq
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:14 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by 1q2w2w21wq » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm

If you have decided not to go to USC, please decline the offer. Wish you the best!

ztetital
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:55 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by ztetital » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:57 pm

Hi, Are you waitlisted at USC as well? I am also waiting and am wondering if there are any updates at all :(
1q2w2w21wq wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm
If you have decided not to go to USC, please decline the offer. Wish you the best!

schakraborty091199
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by schakraborty091199 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:55 pm

Committed to Notre Dame ACMS! Would love to chat if you are going as well!

probabelitist
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:22 pm

Re: Final Decisions - 2024

Post by probabelitist » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 pm

Committed to UConn! Do reach out if you're also going to be there.



Post Reply