PLEASE ADVISE ME!! What are my chances?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jmakascarlett

PLEASE ADVISE ME!! What are my chances?

Post by jmakascarlett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:00 am

I am trying to get a sense for my chances at getting into a grad school with a good pure math program. Do I have a shot at any of the top 20? top 40? I know this depends a good deal on how I do on my MGRE (not yet taken), but lets assume for the sake of argument i score in the 85% or above. Here is my profile:

Undergraduate Institution: Fairly elite liberal arts school, good math program.

Majors: Mathematics, Educational Studies
Minors: Philosophy, Psychology
GPA: 3.5
GPA in math: 3.71
Position in class: No idea
Type of student: White domestic female

GRE scores:
I just took the new GRE so they only gave me a range of scores immediately following the test.
Math: 750-800
Verbal: 750-800
W: No results yet
MGRE: Not taken yet--signed up to take it in Nov.

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: REU in game theory at University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign summer after sophomore year; honors project my senior year on random walks on graphs, planning to submit paper with results for publication.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Have tutored high school math every year of college. Haven't been able to TA because only students on financial aid are eligible at my school and I'm not on financial aid.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Female.

Math classes I have taken: Discrete, Linear Algebra, Applied Calculus, Combinatorics, Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Topics in Analysis (400 level continuation of real analysis), Topics in Algebra (400 level continuation of abstract algebra), Complex Analysis, Intro Stats, Probability. No grad school classes.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I had a really awful first semester and have gotten good grades every semester after that.

yoyobarn

Re: PLEASE ADVISE ME!! What are my chances?

Post by yoyobarn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 am

Hi,

I just want to encourage you to go for your dreams.

Your qualifications are good. (better than mine..) I think you definitely have a high chance.

Do not let anyone discourage you, and maintain a keen interest and passion for Mathematics.

SometimesY

Re: PLEASE ADVISE ME!! What are my chances?

Post by SometimesY » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:01 pm

I think if you've made it over 85% on the test, you likely won't be turned away. Being a domestic female helps a lot, too. One thing to note: the consensus is that October test was hard as balls. If you run into problems you can't immediately do, skip them and come back to them later. After reading this, I noticed that a couple of people got stuck and didn't immediately skip them and go back to them later. The October test was full of either very simple problems or very challenging problems and there wasn't a lot of in between. Don't worry too much, though. If you did well on the practice exams and you feel like you didn't do well on the actual exam, it probably won't be just you. Good luck!