How to Search for Grad Schools?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
lemonjuice

How to Search for Grad Schools?

Post by lemonjuice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:12 am

Hello all.

I wanted to know how to search for grad schools/programs. I am applying this year for Applied Math PhD programs for fall 12. I know some websites: phds.org, usnews.com/education. These two rank schools, but I haven't seen a full listing in the latter. Do you have to be a member to see it? Also, I would like to know how to judge what schools to apply to. I see many people in this forum have "dream" schools, "safety" schools, and others in between. How would I know which schools are within/out of reach for me?

Please shed some light on this matter.

Thanks.

talkloud

Re: How to Search for Grad Schools?

Post by talkloud » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:33 am

Here's how I did it:

1) Go to a school's website. I used this to find math PhD programs, but try not to put too much stock in the rankings.

2) Find the research section of the school's page. This can sometimes be hard to find.

3) Look for faculty that research what you're interested in. If you find lots at one school, apply to that school.

--or--

Ask a professor you know who researches what you're interested in. When I did this the prof I asked turned out to be fountain of helpfulness, and ended up giving a lot more advice than just schools to apply to. This is also a good way of finding out what level of school to shoot for. I would recommend doing both of these things.

lemonjuice

Post by lemonjuice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:33 pm

thank you very much talkloud. other than speaking 2 a professor, is there another way that i can find out what level of schools 2 apply 2 myself? i was thinking of calling schools that i'm interested in and asking them the typical profile of people who get acceptance.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:04 am

i was thinking of calling schools that i'm interested in and asking them the typical profile of people who get acceptance.
You can try but the most helpful response you will get is the following: "Most of our students have had coursework in..., and we strongly prefer a subject GRE score above... Beyond that, it's all about your letters of recommendation."

Since letters of recommendation are the single most important part of your application, your professors are uniquely qualified to give you advice.