What's the lowest GPA I can get for statistics?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
intervenient

What's the lowest GPA I can get for statistics?

Post by intervenient » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I love math, but I'm only pulling Bs in my lower division classes so far (Calc I, Calc II, Diff Eqs). I get what's going on and I can do all the problems in homework, textbooks, and other textbooks, but the tests usually kill me.

I'm extremely afraid of this trend being consistent into my stats classes. I know that graduate committees put emphasis on your last two years of course work (I've even seen some that request only this GPA), but what if I only manage Bs, and the occasional A in my upper division classes? I enjoy working with math and statistics, and would love to do it as a career but with graduate schools in statistics looking to be so competitive, is there room for someone like me who is only minorly succeeding in their lower math classes?

Sorry if the message is wonky, I just got out of a poor midterm and am rather freaked out :/

ANDS

Re: What's the lowest GPA I can get for statistics?

Post by ANDS » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:30 pm

intervenient wrote:I love math, but I'm only pulling Bs in my lower division classes so far (Calc I, Calc II, Diff Eqs). I get what's going on and I can do all the problems in homework, textbooks, and other textbooks, but the tests usually kill me.

I'm extremely afraid of this trend being consistent into my stats classes. I know that graduate committees put emphasis on your last two years of course work (I've even seen some that request only this GPA), but what if I only manage Bs, and the occasional A in my upper division classes? I enjoy working with math and statistics, and would love to do it as a career but with graduate schools in statistics looking to be so competitive, is there room for someone like me who is only minorly succeeding in their lower math classes?

Sorry if the message is wonky, I just got out of a poor midterm and am rather freaked out :/
There is a grad school for everyone. Also if you can't get into a PhD program, Master Programs are always more flexible.