Don't Worry About "Suck Scores"!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dasgut

Don't Worry About "Suck Scores"!

Post by dasgut » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Hey Y'alls,
I've seen a lot of ppl who are disappointed with their performance on the Nov. 12th exam. I had the same conundrum many of you did and I didn't get accepted to any programs the first time 'round due to my low initial score.

I got a job in federal consulting and it's been awesome. Though this period has definitely confirmed that I wish to become an academic, it is has given me a chance to mature in ways that I could not have in a doctoral program. I've made great friends, have a good job, money, and have gotten to be a real adult for a while. Thankfully, I now have a good score and am confident I'm going to get into a good program.

Anyways, my point is that all's not lost if you got a poor score. Maybe you'll still get into a great school or maybe you'll work for a year or two. You can always try again and you can make the most of the situation if you really want to. If you're spending any amount of time on a mathematics gre msg board then you've got to be crazy enough to eventually make it in our field :)

Take it from a guy who's been on the both sides of the score spectrum: it WILL all work out great! Keep on keepin' on.

dragoonlp

Re: Don't Worry About "Suck Scores"!

Post by dragoonlp » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:33 am

Agreed!

I believe we will get what we want in next year!

Good luck my friends

renatamaria

Re: Don't Worry About "Suck Scores"!

Post by renatamaria » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 pm

3 years deep in consulting... I was hoping for a half-decent score to help get me out of this drudgery. alas...