Dear Admin: We need an ACTIVE moderator

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
omgmath

Dear Admin: We need an ACTIVE moderator

Post by omgmath » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Dear admin,

This website has been helpful to me and I'm sure many others, and I don't want the quality of this forum to deteriorate from all the spam messages we've been seeing lately. Please find a somewhat active user to moderate the board. I personally wouldn't be able to keep up with the forum, but perhaps there are other people here who are willing to moderate it.

Thank you

yoyostein

Re: Dear Admin: We need an ACTIVE moderator

Post by yoyostein » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 am

maybe we need a better confirmation code.

Not sure if it is possible to implement the NuCaptcha code (used in sosmath.com).

Maybe to deter the spammers we can set a math question that only math undergrads are able to answer :)

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Or even just a "report as spam" button. That could be set up in two different ways. Either a post or thread gets automatically deleted once enough registered users have reported it as spam, or an email gets send to an otherwise inactive moderator alerting them of a post/thread that needs attention.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

This issue keeps coming up.

We need an active moderator and better spam filters.
Making a few of the active members as moderators would go a long way to reduce spam.

caxton

Post by caxton » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:08 am

Dear admin,

Spammers using software like Xrumer have no respect or regards whatsoever. Let's not watch them have free rein on this forum.

This forum runs the MyBB software so you may find these below very useful http://community.mybb.com/thread-110224.html

"A list of some of the best anti-spam plugins for MyBB."

Regards.

Grant

Post by Grant » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 pm

We do have a number of anti-spam measures in place but sometimes spammers still get through. I happened to be away from my office for a couple days and forgot to check to make sure there was no spam.

I few months ago I almost finished a system where any legitimate poster (i.e. registered for a certain amount of time and having made a certain number of posts) could block any fairly new user and instantly hide all their posts so that if any of you ever noticed spam you could click a couple buttons and the spam would be gone from the board. I would still periodically check for the forums to permanently delete the spam as well as make sure nobody abuses the system by flagging legitimate new posters as spammers.

I'll plan to check things more frequently until I get that system in place.