Math GRE Textbook Suggestions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mathgradhopeful

Math GRE Textbook Suggestions

Post by mathgradhopeful » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I was wondering: What textbooks have everyone found useful in prepping for the subject GRE? Are there any textbooks particularly helpful in prepping for the subject GRE and if so, which chapters of the texts should be gone through when prepping for the exam?

I was thinking of using Stewart to practice Calculus problems and possibly Rudin (or Pugh) for Analysis, but I am not sure which texts to use to prep for Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra, Discrete Math, Geometry, Numerical Analysis, etc.

I will have 4 months to prep for the exam and a month and a half as well (but at that time I will be busy with grad courses).

I have taken upper div classes: Number Theory (withdrew, but took most of the class), Probability, Statistics, Ordinary Differential Equations, Real Analysis I at Berkeley, Abstract Algebra, Math for Physics/Engineers (mostly applied PDEs, a bit of complex analysis, and Fourier Analysis) and am currently taking Real Analysis II and Linear Algebra (second course).

I haven't taken Complex Analysis, Discrete Math, Geometry, Numerical Analysis, and Topology.

echo

Re: Math GRE Textbook Suggestions

Post by echo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 pm

I would stick mainly to Stewart (preferably with multivariate content or get another multivariable book) or another calc book. Most linear algebra/diff eq books will work as well. It's most important that you do lots of exercises and learn to do them quickly. These topics make up 75% of the exam, so you should focus most of your attention on them. For the rest of the topics, I would suggest you look at the Princeton Review Cracking the Subject Exam book. The exam covers them pretty sparsely and the Princeton Review book will have most of the things you need to learn to do in it.

rmg512

Re: Math GRE Textbook Suggestions

Post by rmg512 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 pm

I've been told Schaum's Outlines Series are pretty good to study, though Princeton Review's Cracking should be your starting point. There's also Bromson's book and the REA book.