NSF GRFP

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
seanlikesmath

NSF GRFP

Post by seanlikesmath » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:06 am

When I applied for the GRFP in November, we were required to list our proposed school. Does anyone know anything about what happens if you get the fellowship but weren't accepted at the school you listed, or found a better fit for your research elsewhere?

dasgut

Re: NSF GRFP

Post by dasgut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm

seanlikesmath wrote:Does anyone know anything about what happens if you get the fellowship but weren't accepted at the school you listed....?
I know more than a few people who've used an NSF GRFP award to get into a school that rejected them earlier in the admissions season. The award is a strong signal to a department that you'll succeed and it greatly reduces their cost of accepting you.

seanlikesmath

Post by seanlikesmath » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Excellent; I was rejected by this school last year, so I was curious about what would happen in case of a repeat performance.

vj

Post by vj » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm

I know a guy who listed MIT in his application and when he got accepted into MIT and Stanford he decided to go to Stanford with NSF funding. As far as I know, he had to provide information about his field of study at Stanford matched what he stated in his NSF application.

Hope this helps

rmhism

Post by rmhism » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

So, it matters what school you put on your NSF application? If you choose a different school, you don't get NSF funding?

seanlikesmath

Post by seanlikesmath » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:33 pm

That's my understanding, but it's vague. I can't find any direct information pertaining to this.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 pm

If you get the fellowship it doesn't matter what school you attend, as long as you are studying something similar. So you can't go to graduate school for chemistry and still keep the fellowship if your application said you were going to do math, but you can go to another school for math, regardless of whether you were accepted to where you said you would go.

seanlikesmath

Post by seanlikesmath » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:04 pm

(Semi) official word from a dean with experience says yes, you can definitely change schools.