Terminology? Big Ten?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
pj29019

Terminology? Big Ten?

Post by pj29019 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Hello guys,

I have a question about what so many people frequently use in their admission status posting.

They say their schools are "BIG" x, where x may be ten, five, three, etc. I was unfamiliar with the term, so I google searched, and it was a rugby conference...

Well, my question is, WHY THE HELL DOES THE SIZE OF THEIR SCHOOLS MATTER FOR THEIR GRADUATE SCHOOL ADMISSION? I mean, not just big ten, but "BIG" university, as opposed to "TOP" university, to me, sounds like not-at-all a related factor when it comes to admission, so I wonder... What do you guys think about it?

Ryker

Re: Terminology? Big Ten?

Post by Ryker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Que?

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 pm

The Big Ten is an athletic conference but all its members are top large public schools (with the exception of northwestern, which is a top large private). Big schools tend to have more students and letters of recommendation may be less personal.

rmg123

Post by rmg123 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 am

People will often just say they go to a school in the Big Ten since most people are familiar with the term from sports. Basically, its a group of schools, mostly in the midwest that are all in the same sports conference. I think it is pretty common to just refer to these schools as the Big Ten (being a Minnesotan myself), whereas in other conferences it might not be as common to refer to the group. Many of the big ten schools (such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Northwestern) are known for having great math programs, both for undergraduates and graduates, but it definitely is true that there it is harder to have strong letters unless you know the professor extremely well.

yl2868

Post by yl2868 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:36 am

The big ten actually has 12 institutions, which will be 14 later this year.

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:09 am

rmg123 wrote:People will often just say they go to a school in the Big Ten since most people are familiar with the term from sports. Basically, its a group of schools, mostly in the midwest that are all in the same sports conference. I think it is pretty common to just refer to these schools as the Big Ten (being a Minnesotan myself), whereas in other conferences it might not be as common to refer to the group. Many of the big ten schools (such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Northwestern) are known for having great math programs, both for undergraduates and graduates, but it definitely is true that there it is harder to have strong letters unless you know the professor extremely well.
How big are junior and senior level maths courses then?