Score Problem

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ilikenumbers

Score Problem

Post by ilikenumbers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi there,

So I took the subject test in September in Dublin and they completely screwed up. They lost the test papers of everyone who took it that day. They offered a retest date in November but I don't live in Ireland (I'm in England, Dublin was the closest centre for this date) and it clashes with my studies, so I won't be able to take it again this year.

Obviously this is bad news, as all the schools I was looking at, except 1, said they required the subject GRE. I was wondering if it was still worthwhile applying to these schools, or is it just going to be a waste of my money? Has anyone had experience of being accepted without the subject test, even if it was required?

Thanks

MathCat

Re: Score Problem

Post by MathCat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:50 pm

I have no experience with this, but some of the schools I have looked at that list the subject test as a requirement have also said (usually as an answer to this question in their FAQ) that you may apply without scores, it just may put you at a disadvantage. I think you should contact the departments of the schools you are looking at and explain the situation. They may be understanding about it, and if they aren't, you haven't lost anything.

dlee5h

Re: Score Problem

Post by dlee5h » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:17 am

Wow...that really stinks. Sorry to hear...

I agree with everything MathCat said and I'd like to add a few thoughts:

1) If you've taken the mGRE before, tell the depts you're applying to what you've been doing since then to prepare for Sept's exam and how you've been doing on the practice tests. Of course, it will be difficult for them to know if you're lying or not, but if you can make a strong case, the depts might be willing to do a little extrapolation.

2) Tell your recommenders what just happened and ask them if they would be willing to add a little extra oomph to their letters that would make up for the mGRE (you'll probably have to be more tactful with this unless you have a great relationship). Math profs are people, too, and just might stretch the truth out of compassion for you.

Good luck with the apps - I hope this doesn't affect your chances negatively.