Sending a low subject test score to schools that don't...

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
AspiringMathPerson

Sending a low subject test score to schools that don't...

Post by AspiringMathPerson » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Should I send a low subject test scores to schools that don't require it, or should I just send them my general GRE?

bobbydd21

Re: Sending a low subject test score to schools that don't...

Post by bobbydd21 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:42 pm

AspiringMathPerson wrote:Should I send a low subject test scores to schools that don't require it, or should I just send them my general GRE?
I would like to know this as well. Specifically for schools that say it is "reccomended" to send the subject score. At what point is the to low where you are better off not even sending it?

bobbydd21

Post by bobbydd21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:57 am

Any advice anyone? Getting ready to start submitting my applications and would like to know what the consensus is on this issue. Thanks a lot!

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:52 am

How low are we talking? Some people would call a quite acceptable score "low" if it's lower than they wanted, so you haven't really given us much.

bobbydd21

Post by bobbydd21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:14 am

I'm sorry about that. I haven't gotten back my scores yet but let's say worse case scenario below the 50 percentile. In this case what would be best?

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:05 pm

If the department doesn't say it's recommended, I would probably not send it. If they say it's recommended or strongly recommended, I would probably send the score if its 40th percentile or up. If it's over 50, I think it's definitely worth sending: this score means you did better than half of all people who want to go into grad school in math. It's really not that shabby.

I also think you should take into account the strength of the rest of your application. If your grades and references are good, maybe a 40th percentile score would make you look worse, instead of better. On the other hand, if your scores are low, or if you never took many classes tested on the GRE, a 40th percentile score could look like a good improvement.

bobbydd21

Post by bobbydd21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Okay that's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. The rest of my transcript is very strong and I feel that if I land at around a 40% it does not accurately represent my abilities and may make my application look worse. So I'm thinking if I get below a 50% that I will not send it to schools that "Reccomend" it. I also with obviously not send it to schools that don't even mention it. Does this sound like a pretty good plan? I guess it ultimately depends on if the department would see a low score worse than just not submitting it at all.